Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Raptor 660,Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Raptor 660,Won't Start

I purchased a 01 Raptor 660r. Stator was dead, Solinoid was water logged,battery was junk. Replaced rear carrier bearing,rebuilt front end. Former owner believed their was a short in Push button assembly. I believe this is possible. I purchased a new battery that was shipped sulfated. I was able to start and ride for approximately 10 minutes, after stalling twice was completely dead. Anyways, I upgraded battery,(YTX20H-BS)(Grizzley600),New Starter Relay,Tested Recifier(Good),Replaced Shorted Stator with Rick's Electric Hot Shot Stator, I also RECONNECTED Redwire into clip that inturn plugs into CDI(Clymer Wiring Guide Labels Wire as Rotor Rotational Direction Coil/Shaft) ,Intake & Exhaust Valves were EXTREMELY tight,Adjusted to OEM specs,installed new plug. Put it all back together, 1st attempt with freshly charged battery will roll it over for short time but NO Start. Sounds as if the starter freezes up and sometimes produces a loud clank from 1 way bearing. When you pull the plug, It will roll over easily. Put plug back in same as before. Tested spark and it appears to be firing well but spark is a Yellow/Whitish hue. NOT BLUE! After several attempts to start machine, I noticed ground on left crank case begin to smolder. A couple attempts at rowing machine over failed completely with NO STARTER MOVEMENT as if button shorting. So I stopped and placed battery back on charger until full. I attended to start again only for a short amount of time than previous. Results exactly the same. I am still new to troubleshooting finicky machines..Where should I start? Please and thank you!