Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I just got off the Phone with Dyno Jet

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 03:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno jet claims that with all the detergents currently in the fuel the *Famous* plug test is not valid anymore. Any opinions??

Mac

Old 05-15-2001, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

So how do they suggest you get the jetting set?

Old 05-15-2001, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

Let me guess how you can get your jetting right... buy their "kit."

In my eyes, Dynojet "kits" are about the best way to waste your money, short of burning dollar bills.

Most people on this forum buy these "kits" because they put aftermarket pipes and air filters on their machines. Most of the time, all one needs to do is increase the size of their main jet (buy from a dealer, $2 - $3), and maybe lower their needle clip one notch.

The length, taper, etc., of the needle (a big Dynojet selling point) makes little/no difference with mild mods such as this. Even so, you can buy different sized needles from your dealership anyway.

Further, to add icing the cake, when the dynojet "kit" I purchased for my previously owned mojave didn't work (i.e., ran very badly, no matter what I did), Dynojet would not take it back, claiming it was my fault. I'm no dummy, I'm quite comfortable with my working knowledge of carbs.

And finally, when they sent not one, but two K&N air filters for the mojave - they had a hard time taking one back. Even then, they insisted that I pay for shipping to send one back. Needless to say, words came flying back at them. In the end, they paid for shipping (so nice of them, huh).

I don't do business with dynojet anymore; they are overhyped, overpriced, and do not respect the customer at all.

ogre

Old 05-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Taking a plug reading may not be as accurate as it is used to be, but you can be sure that DynoJet is going to talk it down to the extreme.

Why do I think that? Look at what they sell, pre-made jet kits and even more important, Dynometers.

New Coke taste better, Kleenex wipes the snot off your face better and Equal is sweeter than sugar. Everyone who is selling something always has a reason why the new (whatever) is better. In this case, it's because the detergents in gas make it unreliable to read plugs. That's why there is no such thing as fouling a plug anymore, right?

Old 05-15-2001, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

First off I think the kits are a scam also. But since everyplace I called had small round Mikuni jets on Back Order the kit was my only alternative. I paid $50 for the K&N kit at rockymountain. On another note I already went up 2 sizes on the main jets which wasnt enough before I bought the kit. After I installed the kit the throttle response seems very much improved which most likely has to do with the different taper needles and new slide springs. Dynojet said if my bike was running good with no overheating,popping,or bogging that the jetting is good.

Mac

Old 05-15-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

How many posts do you guys see that read" Help!..I can't jet my carb" or the similar?.
That's why places like dynojet can exist and make money.
Every bike runs differently...The kit that you get from dyno jet will be in the ballpark...The machine that they tested it with is gauranteed not to be the same machine you have...So it's hit and miss. That should be a given. I would bet that their kits are within about 10%-15% for being correct. The rest of the tuning is the riders responsability.
I don't think I would buy the kit...Unless it comes with a good assortment of jets...Carbs are hard..It takes quite some time to get it right. Man.... if I had a dollar for everytime I have taken a carb apart in my lifetime to try to get it right. I'm now comfortable with doing it...But I still can't guess...I can get close...But saddle time and trial and error is your best bet.

Old 05-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

I just put a FMF slip on and a K&N on my DS-650 took a ride and it was crapping out on top. Checked the plug and it was white! I live in the sticks of New Mexico and the only thing resembling a dealer didn't have a jet over 155. So Rocky Mountain ATV gets 45 from me for 5 bucks worth of jets, at least it wasn't 60.

Old 05-15-2001, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

one way you can do it for main jets is, put in a big one and see if it bogs on top, if it doesnt, go bigger, when you get it so it bogs and stutters on top, put in a size down main jet and that will be the right jet to have in there, unless it stills bogs on top, go lower in size (1 size at a time though).

Old 05-15-2001, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

This could get too deep to deal with here,but "VARIABLES" are very important
variables being:
engine temp (air cooled)
input air temp (cool=more O2)
fuel quality (octain raiting)
I know I require my quad to perform during hunting season @ 20-30 deg and also @70-80 to mow the lawn ....The dyno-jet kit got me real close with a Big Gun exhaust and fine tuning the main jet, 147.5 works perfect..In the fall I richen the fuel screw 1/2 turn....

Old 05-15-2001, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Chris, You said the kit came with different springs for the slides. Could you tell if they were softer or stiffer than the factory ones?

Quick Reply: I just got off the Phone with Dyno Jet