Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I'm gonna get a 2001 Banshee, anyone dissapointed with their's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 07:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I'm gonna go and get a brand new Banshee.

I've never had one before, but I like them way too much, the look and sound of it is awsome.

Also, I was wanting to get one before they stop making them, like the 250r's and such. I don't know if they will stop making them, but it's just about the only 2 stroke quad left and you know what happened to all the others...

I hope the 'Shee is what I expect it to be and more. I'm not too much into the 4-Stroke racing quads. I mean come on...a 660 that's top speed is around 75mph? The Quadzilla is a 500 and it's the fastest thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, about the 2 strokes...are they really that hard on maintanence? Most people I've seen said the only maintenace they do is change spark plugs and top-ends, is that pretty much it?

And the other thing is premixing the gas, I don't know much about ratios, so maybe you guys can help me out...my friend said just put 16oz. of oil in 4 gallons of gas and mix it, will this be lean or rich or a good mixture?

Anyway, I guess that'll do it. If you guys have any more advice a guy like me should know, go ahead and tell me, all and any information would help, thanks guys!

--------------------------------------------
2001 Yamaha Banshee (Soon to be)...

Old 05-16-2001, 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I hate the lack of low-end and the mixing fuel and the heavy noes.

Old 05-16-2001, 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I hate the lack of low-end and the mixing fuel and the heavy noes.

Old 05-16-2001, 02:53 AM
Trailblazer

Dude get the Banshee.I got to ride a friends a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome.That thing just screams on the mid range and top end.Who cares if it doesn't have any bottom end.That hit in the midrange is tottaly worth it.I was thinking about the raptor but after riding that it changed my mind right away.I am sure you will have fun on whatever you get though.

Old 05-16-2001, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned both a Raptor and Banshee.. they are both fun to ride bikes. The Banshee is $500 less than a raptor, plus yamaha is giving $300 in accesories with the banshee warriors and blasters right now. (But not the raptor)

Things you should know up front. Obviously no reverse and you have to kick start the banshee. If you've ever kicked and kicked a shee cause it was wet or a fouled plug, you'd understand why it gets old. Normally however they fire right up. Not having reverse isn't a big deal either, you just have to always be thinking about it if you're trail riding. (Small hills make a nice gravity featured reverse for turning around.. every banshee trail rider knows it)

I will say nothing rides like a 2 stroke, the adrenlin rush is so killer on one, and at times I wish I was on the shee instead of the Raptor. But 4 strokes require ALOT less wrenching to keep them running if you ask me. 2 strokes are prone to needed top ends, I have seen so many rings bend snap and break cause of the ports in the clyinders which 4 strokes don't have.

I have personally moved on to a Raptor and my Banshee is for sale. The overall reliability factor with the banshee just isn't there if you ask me, but I have yet to see a 3 year old raptor and see how they are holding together. One thing I can say, we have 4 warriors in our group of riders, they've never had to crack the motor open, and these quads are 94, 95, 95 and a 97 models. My 98 Shee has had 3 top ends since 98. I am hoping the Raptor enigne holds together like the Warrior engine.

This is all just my $.02, you have to ride what you love and will be happy on, and thats all that matters..

Brad

Old 05-16-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

My buddy bought a '01 Banshee at the same time I bought my '01 Raptor and he regrets it. He loves his bike and enjoy's riding it but the downsides to the bike are starting to build. One, after riding with me he now wishes he would've gotten reverse. Picking a bike up and lugging it around sucks. Two, mixing gas gets tiring (especially when my cousin and I just pull up into a gas station and fill up). Third, that lack of low-end becomes very apparent in the trails. Coming out of tight corners I can motor away and still have enough motor to stay ahead. After several laps that gap keeps getting bigger and bigger. Four, the chassis and suspension are outdated and the bike really tires you after about 2 hours of riding. The stock suspension is no where near that of the Raptor or 400EX.
He's already talking about his next bike and he says it will be a 4-stroke sport bike with reverse.

You've got to look at what kind of terrain you'll be riding in. West Virginia isn't exactly flat and wide open, not good for a Banshee. If you do mostly trail riding than you may want to check out other options. You'd be really surprised at how close the top speed's between the Raptor and Banshee are. I weigh 175lbs. and my buddy weighs 200lbs. Our bikes have a 15lb. difference so that gives me a 10lb. weight advantage. In a top speed race we go back and forth with him taking 3 out of 5 races. Every race, won or lost has been with the loser's front wheel at the winner's peg. I'll be the first to admit, he throws pipes and a filter on that thing and all bets are off. You've just got to be honest with yourself and look at the conditions you'll be riding in. Don't suck yourself into thinking "well about once every 6 weeks we hit a strip mine" because that means the other 5 are in the trails and you'll be suffering. Ultimately, it's your decision. Go with whatever bike you think is best worth your money.

Old 05-16-2001, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I love my banshee for what it can do. In very tight trails though it can be a bit of a pain. I race haresrambles with mine, and it does run good until you run into very slow and tight situations. And don't even bother listening to people who complain about mixing gas. Dirt bike riders would laugh if they heard you complain about such a trivial thing. Also 2-strokes are very reliable until you start doing port jobs on them, then you can have probs breaking rings. Warriors are very reliable because its a low hp motor.If you look at the yz 426 and other high hp 4-strokes, you will notice that they will require a lot of maintanence.

If you don't port the banshee engine, only thing you have to do for the engine is use a good pre mix oil and keep the air filter clean, and have the pistons changed once a season if you ride it a whole lot.

As for the Raptor, I'm not to impressed with it all. After following a Raptor at a recent HS race, they seem way to tippy for my liking. They would high side on just about any corner when doing them at moderate speed. They seem about as stable as a drunk who just slammed a 40 pounder of whisky

Old 05-16-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

samson is right. the banshee is not unreliable and it is not inferior to the raptor in the trails or anywhere else. RIDERS are inferior, the machine is not. i happen to ride my banshee very agressively in the woods and i am happy with the performance. this so-called "lack of bottom end" is simply another way of saying: "i'm not sure how to use this clutch, it IS called a clutch, right? and what about the throttle, what does that do?"

Old 05-16-2001, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Things to do as soon as you get the Banshee:

(1) Get a Pro- design Proflow and K&N or Uni Filter. The stock setup sucks at best and could allow dirt to get into your motor and ruin it at worst.

(2) LocTite the axle bolts, Mine came loose all the time until I did that.

(3) Get some Pipes. A stock Banshee is nothing compared toa Banshee with pipes. Night and day difference.

(4) Have fun. I have beat the heck outta my Banshee and it keeps coming back for more. No reliability probs yet (knock on wood).

RoostKing...

Old 05-16-2001, 04:01 PM
Range Rover

Also locktite the Carrier bolts. I've seen them loosen out of many a banshee.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna get a 2001 Banshee, anyone dissapointed with their's?