Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help me choose my sand tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide what paddle tires to get. I am struggling with straight vs. v-paddles.

My Banshee motor is bored 0.020" over (wiseco pro-lites), ported cylinders, FMF Fatty pipes/silencers, YZ clutch springs, and Cool-Head w/ 19cc domes. Perhaps in the 60 hp range (soon to be dyno'd to verify...).

I am wanting a general all purpose sand tire (if such a tire exists...), since I mostly do fast paced trail riding (yeah, Lil' Sahara, OK has "trails" in the dunes), with some drag racing thrown in for good measure.

I tried out a set of Sand Skate II's (before my cylinders were ported), and I am not sure if I liked them. The front end still seemed to push in the corners a bit, particularly if I got on the gas enough to lighten the front while still in the corner. Sliding the rear around with the throttle didn't seem to work to well with the v-shaped paddle.

I am considering getting straight paddles, but I am concerned about turning using stock front tires. I really don't want to spend the money, right now, for front sand tires to help me turn better. Will straight paddles work OK with stock front tires?

It is my understanding that straight paddles will allow you to slide the rear around in corners, and thus assist with steering in this manner. Is this indeed the case?

Lastly, Are there any good straight paddles with a decently tall paddle that are a molded-in paddle?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Regards,

Rog