Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

PLEASE HELP!!! IM GETTIN VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 01:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALright, i have a 96 warrior it cuts out at high rpms in any gear but worse in 6th i cant top out or draw out any gears or it cuts out i just had the stator rebuilt i think it may have sumthin to do with the parking brake block off i hear there is soem switch or sumthin either that or some reverse lever ground wire i dont kno much about the parking brake switch but its makin me mad that i cant let it eat and open it up after i finally got my new pistons broke in please help in any way u can thanks a lot

p.s. me and my dad are ordering a kit and rebuilding the carb will that help maybe?

Old 06-12-2001, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Check your gas cap vent hose, it might be too long or crimped.

Old 06-12-2001, 02:45 AM
Trailblazer

Just an idea check your fuel filter and carb ( might be a fuel problem )

Old 06-12-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

I think I have your answer....I had the same symtoms and it turned out to be the reverse kill-switch that's built into the reverse lever mechanism. My dealer said it's a common problem with the Warrior. There is a wire going into the back of the reverse lever - simply disconnect (un-plug)it and go for a ride - if the prob goes away, that's it. The only consequence is that the rev indicator light will not work as well as the kill function but that should not be a problem for this test. The complete solution is to replace the reverse lever guts ($$) but I just left the wire disconnected (going on about 5 years now with no issues). Let me know if this works for ya.

Old 06-12-2001, 12:18 PM
Range Rover

If your warrior is cutting out at a higher RPM try pulling the clutch in. Does your machine stay running ? If it does, then it is definately the emergency park brake switch. Take some WD40 and soak the microswitch in the clutch perch(I believ it is the top switch, there is also one just below it as well for the clutch). I had this problem many times on my 97. If this works for you, i would suggest getting rid of the emergency park brake system all together. It can ruin a ride especially when your in the back 40. If you have any questions just email me.

Old 06-12-2001, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

I have taken all the parking brake stuf off of the lever and cables and all. but....what is that thing that plugs into the clutch perch between the handlebars and the where the clutch cable meets the perch? it looks to be sumthin electrical plugged in but i cant tell.

Old 06-14-2001, 02:18 AM
Range Rover

The black thing between the clutch cable and the perch is the clutch micro switch. You can also get rid of that switch as well. The only problem is that you will be able to start the quad with the clutch lever out. I think the trade offf is well worth it. I believe once you disconnect that switch, you have to replug the two bullet connectors together so the quad will start. I can't quite remember if it is the clutch switch that has the bullet connectors or if it is the park brake switch that has the bullet connectors. Either way you will be able to tell once you follow the switchs down to where they connect to the main harness. Has your problem gone away with the park brake switch disconnected ? Email me !

Old 06-15-2001, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

I agree with Fisher but your rebuilt stator is questionable. You may need to do a peak voltage test on ignition components (source/pick up coils) to make sure they're up spec. But this takes special tool so you may need to have a good technician troubleshoot it. Make sure the high voltage (spark plug) is not leaking from wire or cap. Spray some water on the plug cap/wire and if it dies, you've got a leak.

If you can pin point that its not ignition, then I would start looking at fuel system. Try the process of elimination and keep us posted.

Old 06-15-2001, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

A couple of Suggestions:

1. Clean, or re-clean your air filter. Even a semi-dirty filter can cause this problems at high rev's.
2. Check your reverse lever.... In addition to the wire, make sure the selector is FULLY engaged... The reverse indicator light may NOT be lit up, and you may be able to use your forward gears, but... the quad will cut out so bad that you will consider rebuilding the carb.
3. Check your gas cap vent hose. It can become dirty, clogged or pinched off. Pull the hose off and blow air thru it to may sure it is clear.
4. Drain your carb. If water has settled in it, as you require more fuel you will begin to "suck up" the water which will cause it to cutout.
5. Remove your fuel petcock and clean the screens. If this is clogged it will starve the carb of fuel.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2001, 04:01 AM
Range Rover

I got it workinj right now! i cleaned the carb out abotu 3 different times and cleaned the ground wire off the reverse lever. it doesnt cut out or dump gas or anything anymore. it kicks pretty good as compared to before. thank u guys a lot for the tips. keep up the good work.