Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How do you people like your Banshees

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 12:34 AM
MXZ
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You people out there that have banshees, how do you like them. Tell me the reliability, the power, woods riding, maintenace, speed, and how often you rebiuld them. And what ever you like or don't like about it. And tell me what you think of the new one with the new airbox, bars, crosspad and all the other stuff. The fuel oil mixture too.

2001 300EX
Need More POWER!!!!

Old 06-15-2001, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Hey man.. I really love my Banshee's power.. and handling charactaristics.. BUT.. It's a real struggle keeping it running right on a limited income. If you have the money, and the time, to keep it on it's best performance.. You will NEVER want another machine. All the magazines are NOT lying about it's power.. Once you get used to it, you won't ever leave it. But, when you do buy it, go straight home, and pull out a dirt wheels, order a pro-flow kit, K&N Filter, and pipes.. It will make that thing SCREAM. I have never rebuilt mine.. I mix my fuel 32:1 with Royal Purple 2 stroke oil.. which is a company down here in Texas. If you buy a brand new Banshee, run Amsoil 100:1 oil, it has a gaurentee on it.. If you engine blows up, and you had it mixed at 100:1, they'll buy you a new engine. All the little stuff is going wrong w/my Banshee now.. bearings.. seals.. I had to replace the clutch cable the other day... it will nickel and dime you to death, but.. it's one heckuva ride!!

Old 06-15-2001, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, I have a 96 banshee. I love the power and get up and go. But it will be the last banshee I will get the upkeep is to much of and inconvience. the ride is not as good as some other models. The only good thing i can say is the power you will fall in love with. The other stuff just starts to get on your nereves.

Old 06-16-2001, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

once you ride one you will fall in love with it, i guarentee it!!! i have one and it rips!! it will roost the hell out of a 400ex, it has just as much power as a Raptor or DS650 i think!!! i rarly ever have a problem with mine, except for spark plugs(sometimes i go for trail rides with my dad) Trust me you will NOT be disapointed!!!

Old 06-17-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Well, mine is only 2 years old but the only thing I have had to do to mine was replace the kickstarter O-ring because of rattling and the chain so far. I mostly ride in the dunes with some woods every so often. I would NOT say it is high maintenance but then again it is only 2 years old and I take very good care of it and mix Yamalube at 32:1. Mandatory upgrades are pro-flow (use silicone to seal it!!!), K&N with outerwear and pipes.

It is the fastest FEELING quad you can buy today... Love that 2 stroke kick.

Old 06-17-2001, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

I bought an 2001 Shee about five months ago, and ill tell you what there is nothing that compares to the rush you get when you pin that throttle down. I havent had any problems with it, the only thing i dislike about it is the airbox ofcourse, but a k&n and pro flow will take care of that. If you do get one take very good and it will take good care of you.

01 Banshee {blue}
FMF Fattys Power core 2s, Alba jet kit, 01 Alba graphics kit, pin strips, AC full skid, AC front and rear bumpers, spare Armidillo bumper, Head light covers, K&n w/outwearer, Razers, DG Kromelite nerfs,

Old 06-17-2001, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I love my banshee thats why I am trading my Raptor in on a 2002 black,white,and silver banshee. I have never had any probs with mine and it screams. I can have the shee between quarter and half throtle and still be going as fast as my Raptor. It is a great weely machine when there is traction. I think these machines are very reliable. I have no complaints except for the air filter set up. If you are to buy one witch I highly recomend the first thing you should do when you get it home is put a pro design filter kit in it (get the foam filter not the KN foam is much better a calecting dust). The next step after that would be is to pipe it and jet it.

I hope u have fun on that banshee.

(2 strokes forever)

Old 06-17-2001, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

The Banshee is still where it's at when you want mind bending speed and IMMEDIATE acceleration. It's not unusual to get the front end up just by hitting the gas even into 3 rd gear. I agree with the other guys on the pipes and filter setup but I would suggest Toomey from my own experience. The T5 pipes are some of the best if not the best, the 2:1 filter setup is simple and easy to work with and the Hush Kit keeps the sound down to about 87 decibals. They have outstanding customer service too. If you need speed you won't be disappointed. Before I bought mine {a 99 gently used}I looked at everything that was out there. The problem with buying a used one even if it's just a couple years old is that some guys buy one and beat the living mess out of it and then they want 1k more than they bought it for.
You can find good ones out there for less than new just keep your eyes open and buy when you know it's a good deal not just because it's cheap.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, i'm not dissin toomey or anything like that.. But, today, at the track, a guy had a 2001 Banshee w/T5's, and the silencer fell off twice. TIt sounds really good, but I have stock headers, and he BARELY beat me down the start.. I like them, But, I'm going with FMF's

Old 06-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have a '97 shee I bought past july. It's my first ATV (before, I had only dirtbikes). The guy I bought it from was kind of a moron and didn't really take care of the quad the way he should have. For 1 month, I had all the troubles in the world (bearings, carbs, air filter, rear disc/brake pads...etc). After that month of repair/upgrading, everything went fine for 2 months...and problems started again, mostly tranny probs (since november -and knowing that I don't ride from january to march), I've had to look at the shifter shaft/shifter star/shifter springs at least 5 times. A f*cking pain wher I think. Everytime a tiny stuff going wrong...but ruining the ride (seems to have calmed down now that the shifter shaft/spring bolt are brand new...and maybe I try to be smoother with the poor tranny). Sticky throttle have been frequent too during freezing temps, the kickstarter falls off...and I busted my rear stock shock (on 40+ feet tabletops...and vey very harsh moguls), and broke the silencers I had (seem to be Graydon Crapline pipes...NOT recomended!). My topend is due for a refresh (almost out of spec...after 4 years). That's about it for the bad side (seems a whole lot). I don't mind all that much since most failures (except the tranny ones) were directly my fault (mounted improperly...now I don't do as many mistakes...). Forgot to mention that the most expensive repair has been for the shifter shaft (40$cdn)...so nothing really serious.
After reading this, you'd think I want to get rid of my shee...right? NOPE!!!
I still love the mid range rush...and problems should be solved soon (heck!! should stop one day!!). I went through a general check up this weekend (and saw many stuff that made it run like crap). Now it should run fine (checking it on monday if I have time)...and if it does indeed run fine, first I will race my buddy's Raptor, then install a YPVS top end. I first wnt it to run properly.
We might be riding harshly too...my buddy has a modded scambler 400...and he also keeps breaking parts since we ride together...we'll see if the same happens with his new Raptor...I might also be abusing my poor banshee (going through water 2" under the snorkle -means cyliners/carbs ar totally submerged-, going real hard on moguls and hearing the shocks scream, 2+ miles full speed runs -trottle wide open ALL the time, jumping, crashng and flipping 2 times in the air -dislocted shoulder for me...and slightly bent frame and steering stem for the shee-). When I think about it...it's really a tough machine...

Except the problems I've encoutered, maintenance is very easy (even for chain adjustment)....

A very tough machine overall (look at my site in the signature to see what I do with the shee).

I premix 50:1 Ipone Racing.

Quick Reply: How do you people like your Banshees