Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Thinking of switching from Polaris to Yamaha - Can you give me the good and the bad about the new Grizzley 660?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 06:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am tired of fixing my Polaris, so I am switching brands. I am looking for a fast, reliable 4x4 with IRS. The Grizzley 660 seems to be it. I just wanted to hear from someone who owns one. I want to hear the GOOD and the BAD. Thanks, from a previously Polaris loyal atv'er.Magnum 500 pics - I think its made by FORD!

Old 08-25-2001, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

GOOD- YAMAHA "RELIABLE"
Dependable

Bad- Just minor picky things

Old 08-26-2001, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

As a former multiple Polaris owner I think Polaris are good quads, especially for starting out and/or not too demanding a rider. I think they have good handling, good suspension and decent power. I like the entry level Polaris quads Way better than the cheap Yamahas.
But then you graduate, appreciate the approach of lighter weight, higher tech machinery like Yamahas best.
I think the evolution from Polaris to Yamaha is also like the riders evolution from utility to Sport/Utility, and then maybe to sport. It was for me.. Once you get on top of the dirt,,, and go really fast,,, in total control,,, faster than you ever dreamed you could... After that, only a sport (or race quad?)
can feed the dragon..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2001, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

The big difference is 160cc and 100# of pork. Get the Yamaha!

Old 08-26-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

3TV........That was fun indeed. After talking with the wife, she said the Grizz had plenty left, she just got a little chicken [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. It's not like the we were close either, I was the one having to play catch up big time. The way my EX is geared, I think the Grizz has a higher top speed, which is fine. The EX is a much funner quad to ride. Then again, she won't let me ride the Grizz [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]...so maybe it's funner? She says the Grizz is the best quad out there, so I'll have to take her word for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] OUT

Old 01-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Thinking of switching from Polaris to Yamaha - Can you give me the good and the bad about the new Grizzley 660?

Funny you asked that question, I'm thinking of doing the same !!! I read everyday of awd problems on the newer Polaris's Mine doesn't have any of the reported issues but it only has 230 miles on it. I'm just waiting for the awd to kick in going around a corner [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I'm not as young as I was and don't land as soft anymore. My neighbor has had 3 of the Grizz 660's and hasn't had any issues other than his brother-in law hitting trees. Anyone out there rode both ?

Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Thinking of switching from Polaris to Yamaha - Can you give me the good and the bad about the new Grizzley 660?

a few friends of mine own new 660 grizz's and they're pretty awesome, very fast, reliable, and powerful they are however a little bulky in the woods and they feel a lil tippy but thats just my opinion i don't actually own one but i would also consider the new 700 EFI king quad for a sporty 4x4 with IRS. if not then grizzlies are an impressive machine.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

Wait till they fix the reverse problem with the KQ's, The Grizz is a proven product line. I thought the Polaris SP was too but I'm seeing sooooo many people have AWD problems I just might have to switch. But thanks for the reply, I'm still keeping an open mind, who knows KQ, Rincon, Grizz, BF or just keep my SP and stop reading the forums [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This thread is like 3 and a half years old

Old 01-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Range Rover

I know, seems like a popular question. I wonder if Polaris had the AWD problems back then ?

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching from Polaris to Yamaha - Can you give me the good and the bad about the new Grizzley 660?