Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Skid Plates: 2nd Round

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright folks, I've knocked out the bends and dents as best i could for the last time. It's time to think of replacing my swing arm skid and my engine skid plates.

I currently have GYT-R all around.( Can't believe what i paid for the swing arm skid.) I'm open to switching to another brand of skid and was looking for feedback on what you have on your Raptor? where& how your riding? and most importantly how they are holding up.

So far, i'm thinking about...
DG Baja skids: currently using them on a warrior for agressive trail riding and minumull jumping. like the fit alot and may use them for the engine skid.

Pro-tect: the steel swing arm skid has my attention. i'm concerned about weight. i do alot of jumping with the raptor and want to know if anyone else has given this a try. if you have. how much does the weight affect the quad? if at all?

feel free to bash. i know your all proud of your quads. and i love it when you get stoked. i want to hear it all. give it to me...

Old 08-28-2001, 04:42 PM
Banned

Hello Raptor660RNH,

I have the complete GYT-R setup on my machine with the exception of the swingarm skidplate. I bought an extreme skidplate, which is very durable. The price was $69.99. I purchased the swingarm skidplate from Rocky Mountain ATV. The sidplates have held up well.

P.S. I plan on taking a trip to New Hampshire to go riding. Maybe we can get together and go riding. I'm constantly looking for new people to ride with.

For pictures of my machine, click on the following link: IronBear

IronBear

Old 08-28-2001, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

I've have the PRM skids, desert front bumper, and 6-pack rack. All of their stuff is super solid. The swing-arm skid is probably bullet proof. That thing just is awesome to look at. The full frame skid isn't as thick, but is tough. The bumper, and 6-pack rack are probably stonger than the frame....which I guess could be a bad thing. Solid stuff! I highly recomend these prodocts to anyone. The welds, and material used is top notch.

1 vote for PRM!

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-28-2001, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I got a gytr engine skid, it's holding up great. For the swingarm skid I have an armadillo and let me tell you--this thing is bullet proof. Thicker than most of the others, then again sacrificing that minimal amount of clearance needed to get to the top of that extremly rutted hill(OUCH). It happened to me a couple times going up a steep hill climb, hit the rut, get caught up then you either hit the brakes and lean WAY forward or jump the F*&%$ off. You decide.

Old 08-28-2001, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx bad660,
i will consider the PRM setup. i like their bumpers. hmmm interesting. keep them coming guys...

Ironbear,
nice sight. we have alot in common. same graphics kit. i've owned a few Hurst/olds 83-84 lightning rods (loved them). my wife rides a 01 Warrior. maybe we can get them together when you come up and ride.

i'm looking forward to the fall

Old 08-28-2001, 05:55 PM
klj
Trailblazer

I've got PRM for the swingarm and a-arms. The swing arm plate is very beefy and has taken a half dozen good hits and is only scuffed. I had previously hit a very small rock with the stock swing arm plate and tweaked the brake rotor. When I was looking most people on here recommended PRM and I did not see a single negative post.

I highly recommend PRM...they fit good, and are well made. PRM were easy to deal with and I received my stuff when they said I would. I will shortly be placing an order for the belly pan plate and their desert grab bar.

I don't ride in too rocky of an area though and I try to tip toe around these areas when I encounter them. Still, I don't think you'll find better aluminum skid plates.

One of the mags (I think Dirtwheels or ATV Action) reviewed the Protect stainless steel swing arm skid. I believe they basically said that the protection was phenomenal but the negative effect on handling was unacceptable. They definitely noticed the extra weight on the swing arm.

Hope this helps,

Kerry

Old 08-28-2001, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

well i'm making an engine skid for my 400 from a peice of scrap carbon fiber. if theres any machine shops around you i bet they could make you an engine skid...

Old 08-28-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

PRM Rules. I love mine. I've had them since September.
Center skid, Bumper, grab bar, a-arms, and swingarm.
I live in Rockaway so you can image what the trails and rocks are like.
They take a beating. I did finally bend the swingarm one at full speed on some very big rocks that were actually lifting me and the quad off the ground, but still didn't bent the skid far enough to scrape the chain or rotor. So I would definately go with PRM and maybe the Protect swingarm skid if you don't mind the extra weight. Just keep in mind you could buy almost 3 PRM swing skids for the price of 1 protect. Later

Old 08-29-2001, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

Stay away from DG for the swingarm. The welds break. I have three of them (Raptor, two 400exs) and all of them cracked.

If I were you, I would either go with the Pro-Tec stainless steel one (now have on the Raptor) or RAD Manufacturing for an aluminum one. The biggest reason for RAD's over the others is that it is a pressed unit with NO welds. No welds=No breaks.

Old 08-29-2001, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

i have a gytr full chassis plate and i like it really well. i am eyeballing the prm for the swingarm. looks nice and solid. prm makes some decent stuff, i had a full chassis skid, swingarm and a-arms for my ol banshee. i think the prm and gytr front bumpers look like "cow catchers"!

Quick Reply: Skid Plates: 2nd Round