Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we all know these are good machines except for the brakes...(and maybe the waterpump which so far has not let me down).Damn I said it so I guess I better go get the new design one now LOL.
I saw a solid brake rotor advertised for the rear of these today and they claim they will not wear pads as fast since there are no holes.Has anyone tried this yet? I am willing to try anything,EBC is not selling severe duty pads for the rear yet and I am not completely sure they last that much longer anyway.I hardly use the brakes but we went on a 125 mile ride last weekend and they were shot when I got home.Makes the Kaw rear set up on the new 650 look pretty good.
1988 big bear
1995 wolverine
2000 kodiak

Old 08-31-2001, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Buy the hardest, toughest solid rotor you can find. I got the EBC one for the Raptor from Rocky Mountain ATV. I have about 20 hours on a set of EBC SV pads so far. This is already double what I was getting. So funny that I use the fronts all the time and the rears only about 20% of the time and I am only on my 2nd set of pads for the front since February. I think I've put at least 20 sets on the rear so far.

I assume since the Raptor eats pads just like the Kodiak that a tough solid rotor is the way to go.

Old 09-01-2001, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Like you, I'll try anything. I'm tired of constantly changing out the rear pads when I don't even use the damn things. I'm about half way down on the rear and was planning on replacing them with solid brass pads this time around. I think I'll try the solid rotor thing at the same time

Old 09-03-2001, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

Yesterday I replaced the Warn winch solenoid on my Kodiak, and took this opportunity to give my rear disc brake a close inspection. After 300 miles rotor wear is imperceptible and the pads look as good as new.
Why are my brakes holding up so well? I'd say it's because I went through my mudding phase back in the 60's. I put my Dad's 4 wheel drives (Jeep, 2 Scouts, Ford F250, and 289 Bronco) through every hell hole I could find, including beaver bogs, blue clay, and water up to the doors. At one time or another I mired them all and spent many fun filled hours getting them unstuck.
My brakes are in the shape they're in because I'm no longer interested in finding the worst looking mud hole and then seeing how far I can go before I stick the Kodiak. If there's mud between me and where I want to go, I'll look for a way around it first, failing that, I'll go through it.

Old 09-03-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Kodiac1

Just to let you know, EBC does make rear pads for the Kodiak, I just put on a set last month. It shouldn't take long to find out if they're any better or not. The funny thing is that the EBC severe duty pads were $3 cheaper the the crappy stockers.... go figure. lol

I'd really like to know if the solid rotor makes a difference. I'm really getting tired of replacing pads every 2 months at $50 a pop. It might be cheaper going with a solid rotor in the long run.

Old 09-06-2001, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Where do you get the solid brass pads? I'm ready to try anything at this point.I've tried the EBC sintered pads and they don't seem to be any better than the stock pads. I wonder why EBC makes the severe duty front pads but not the rear?

Old 09-06-2001, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I can't remember the name of the company.It was not Rocky Mountain.I loaned my neighbor the catalog they were in.When I get it back I will pass it along.The reason they have the severe dutys for the front is because it is the same pad on they use on most of the yamahas.I imagine the rears are coming soon.
I sure am glad 454casull set me straight........first off I don't search out the biggest mud holes,as a matter of fact I get alot of ribbing from my buddies for NOT going through them.Sometimes I forget these are named
ALL TERRAIN VEHICLES!!!!!!.I just feel like the pads should not be affected so much by muddy water.If I get that name MEb I will post it here.
1988 big bear
1995 wolverine
2000 kodiac

Old 09-06-2001, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Kodiac 1. I agree with you on the brake pads. Mine last several months during the dry summer months but go quickly once winter hits and I start riding through a lot of mud. The front pads hold up pretty well, but the rear pads go quickly.

Old 09-07-2001, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

I put EBC pads on the rear well over a year ago, and they still look like new.

Old 09-07-2001, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

454....I wish it were as simple as staying away from mud. I went through my first set within 3 months without EVER seeing any mud. There are a few Kodiaks that don't have the problem, but they are few and far in-between.

Quick Reply: Kodiak Brakes