Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Front end noise on Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very noticable loud creak coming from the front end of my 96 Wolverine, whenever I cut the wheels left or right. The noise seems to be coming from the cups that are between the inner CV's, and the front diff. The noise is only present when the weight is on the front wheels, and not when the wheels are in the air. It is also there when I turn the front wheels in opposite directions when the front end is in the air.I have taken the CV's off and checked for dry CV's, dry seals, and everything else I could think of. Everything I checked looked great. Has anyone had this problem before, or know what it could be? No one I I've spoken with seems to know what the problem could be, and I don't know what to do next.

Old 10-21-1999, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

I have the same problem. I think its coming from the shocks. If you hold the shock, and push down on the front end, you should feel the vibration from the squeak through your hand. Dont know how to fix it. I tried to use spray lube on the chrome shaft, seemed to help a little.

------------------
Boomer '99 Wolverine

Old 10-21-1999, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've read that the Blaster has squeaky front shocks too. The struts on my Grizzly which has 1,700 miles on it don't squeak.

Old 10-21-1999, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

*UPDATE* ...I took the front end apart again, for the 5th time. This time I noticed that the noise and vibration seems to be coming from the front drive shaft, and not the CV's. I took the whole diff apart, and the pinion gears don't seem to want to move at all. All I can figure right now is that the noise I'm hearing is my backlash in my pinion gears as the limited slip is sticking...not slipping. I don't know if it's a shim problem or what. I think I might have to bite the bullet and take it in to the dealer.

Old 10-22-1999, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try spraying the splines on the front driveshaft with some lube. As it wears, it makes a lot of weird noises and vibrations.

You can test the front diff by rotating one front wheel at a time. This slips the clutch pack on each side of the differential. The clutch packs are also the reason the gears in the front diff don't turn freely.

I give the front driveshaft a shot of oil before each ride to cut down on all of the noise. Good luck and hope your problem is as simple as a shot of oil to the front driveshaft prior to each ride.

What condition are your brake pads in? They make some good noises when they are worn out.

Old 10-24-1999, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

I tried testing the front diff by turning the front wheels. from what I understand, you should be able to turn one wheel, and see the opposite one rotate in the opposite direction. Well on my bike, it takes one guy, forcing each front wheel in opposite directions, and even then I get a creaking noise. It seems like my limited slip isn't slipping. It's sticking. I tried lubing my u-joints even though they felt OK. I know the problem isn't in my brakes because the bike doesn't even have to be rolling to make the noise. I don't know what to do. I took it to 2 bike mechanics at 2 different shops, and even they can't figure it out. I hate driving it like this because the noise sounds like I'm damaging something. I don't know what the hell to do.

Old 10-24-1999, 02:57 PM
Range Rover

You did have the rear wheels off the ground when you tried to turn the front wheels right? How did you make out w/ the shocks..
I read somewhere that its a good idea to put an ounce of GM limited slip conditioner in the front pumpkin..maybe that will help.
------------------
Boomer '99 Wolverine

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 10-24-1999).]

Old 10-26-1999, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

Well, looks like I got a visit from the good bike ferries and they fixed my problem. When I went out to clean up my bike after a nice long muddy trip the other day, I noticed that the noise was gone. I don't understand it, but I'll take what I can get. All I can figure is that something in the front diff was too tight, and the long ride the other day, (about 120kms & 7hrs) freed it up. I think I will still try that limited slip conditioner.... just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 10-27-1999, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Now if all the other atv manufacters could just get their quads to heal themselves like Yamaha, they would really have something!!!!HA,HA,HE,HE