Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Picking up new GRIZZLY Hunter's edition on Tues......

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to pick up my new Grizzly Tues. afternoon. I'm trading in my 2000 Kodiak. I've done a lot of reading, and it seems that the leading ATV mags. seem to think the Grizzly is not fond of water. ATV Action mag. said their test Grizzly "sputtered and coughed" when they would splash around in water. In the shootout between the Grizzly and Prairie 650 in the latest Dirt Wheels, they managed to get some water in the belt compartment. My question is, have any new Grizzly owners out there had these problems with your's? A friend of mine just bought a new Griz. and he said that on his first outing with it he hit a waterhole and it died. He said it fired back up, but these things make me wonder. I just hope these are isolated incidents........

Old 09-09-2001, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've yet to have any problems with mine other than a loose cap that covers the timing check window. Its only got 330 miles so that doesn't tell anything, but I haven't had problems like I've seen people with some quads have over the years. Those 250 mile horror stories and all. Never seen a problem in water yet. I've had it to where it splashed across the seat and entered fast as well and no sputtering or belt slip. Not to say it won't because a belt will slip on anything to my understanding. Only problem I have with it is not having the time to ride.

Old 09-09-2001, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

I have over 500 miles on mine with no,none,zip,zero problems.Mine also has never sputtered in water [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2001, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Congratulations on getting the best quad made to the day. The only problem ive had with mine is the belt slipped when i got it back from the dealer which they said they had power washed it.... So it must take a great amount of water in a certain area to make it slip. If yamaha is still running that free wintch deal get it. I did and have used the wintch more times than i can count... "How did i ever live without one" i don't know, but anyway hope your new quad doesn't let you down..

Old 09-09-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I havent had any real problems out of mine yet. My belt slipped at Athens last week while playin in the water(click on my pics link, Athens ride, pic A005, this is when I got water in the belt housing).
As far as sputtering, it has only happened once and I was not in deep water, it was a very shallow, muddy flat. Not sure what happened, maybe I need some dielectric grease on the spark plug.

Also about the magazine reviews, ATV Magazine stated that water never bothered the belt or the motor.

Old 09-09-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

On my old 2000 grizz if I hit a waterhole going fast it will sputter, Everyone has told me to put the dieletric grease on the spark plug and that will take care of it. But I haven't had a chance to ride it lately so I haven't put any on it yet!
P.S PEFELECT I think I can understand why your belt got wet!!!!