Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

NEW GRIZZ CAN,T SWIM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What,s up with these magazine reviews "atv action" saying how the new grizz sputters it,s way across even shallow crossings sept issue
and now in oct shootout issue as well.I have put mine through deep fast slow shallow whatever,never heard a single whimper from mine.other threads that reviewed the grizz said that it never had a problem in water as well.How can the same machine act so differently
in water.
who,s wrong
who,s lying...my grizz did not have a problem in water.
anyone else have this problem???
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2001, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

Mine has not sputtered, gurgled, coughed, spit, sneezed, or whined, and it has been through a ton of water. I sure don't know what they are talking about.

Old 09-13-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think that the problem the mags is talking about is going through deep water. I think the problem is when the motor/exhaust is extremely hot and you drive through a shallow water causing the water to splash up and hit the hot motor/exhaust causing steam. The steam is what causes the motor to spit and sputter. It won't happen in deep water because when the complete bike is under water, steam isn't able to form. I haven't experienced this nor do I even own a grizzly, but I heard this from some other 660 riders.

Old 09-13-2001, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

92LT I have read some of these same things on these forums but I have gone so far as trying to make mine do this and have yet to succeed. I have hit shallow water and deep water, at fast speeds and at a crawl. I have done this when the engine is fairly cool at the start of a ride and when the engine is hot at the end of a 50 mile ride on a sweltering day in July. Still with no problems, I don't know why mine is different from these others but I am happy it is. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Well I must say i'm very happy to hear that the new Grizz can swim. My 2000 can also swim. I've had water over the front rack and by that time she floats and doesn't suck in water, and if I do well i'm saved by that drain bolt, what smart guys yamaha were. My buddy who is a Honda man has ordered his New Grizz, decided for the money, the grizz ruled and you get a winch with it. 2wd option, diff lock, faster, IRS, and disk breaks. What else can I say.
How many miles do you guys have on your new Grizzleys now, any problems.
Thanks
owen

Old 09-14-2001, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

OWEN ,I have about 400 miles on my griz and I haven,t experienced a single problem other than the the rear brake chatter on downhills.Numerous other riders on this forum hear the same chatter and it,s not something I,m concerned about.The new griz is an awesome machine and does ride like a cadillac.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 660 griz- 27"carlisle swamp pro
2000 yz426f no mods needed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2001, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

92LT---that,s a good point and is also what I thought...But, and others will agree that even after a long hard ride and blasting through a shallow crossing I have yet to experience a single cough or sputter.

On that point, why would one machine be more susceptible to steam induction than another sometimes identical machine...no the test riders in the mags were not hitting the shallow crossing faster than I was..?
I,m not saying I,m a better technical rider than they are but I,ll bet you I can launch into water as fast as they can or were.at least I think I can I think I can I think I can

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 660 griz-27"carlisle swamp pro
2000 yz426f no mods needed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2001, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

i have a new grizzly and when i hit water for the first time it will cough and sputter then the next time its fine.i dont know if it makes a difference but it seems to do it only in hi range.other than that its a great quad and i have had it up to the tank.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]