Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cops called twice yesterday (griping in Michigan)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding on my own property during the day, and the neighbors called the police. No real reason. They didn't complain about the noise, they didn't say I was disturbing them or their property. They called to say that I was riding in the woods and did not have permission. Perhaps I should photocopy my title to the property and distribute it door to door along the row of houses that back up to MY 25 acres....
That was the first police contact of the day. The officer was great, kinda laughed it all off then started asking questions about my Raptor and such.

Later we went to a popular riding spot on the other side of town. Simply know as the "power lines" due to the high voltage towers in the area. Miles of trails, jumps, etc. Uninhabited. Well, there is a farm down the road, and the people called the police saying they though someone was taking a stolen car back there to burn (apparently a common problem there). They then loaned the cops a pair of ATVs (300ex and some old blue thing I didn't recognize) to go back and look for us. Well, turns out the power company doesn't want people riding back there anymore. They give you one warning and the next time it is a $1000 fine. We got our one warning and loaded up.

This sucks. There are NO DNR trails open to ORVs in the lower half of Michigan. There are a couple tracks within 30 to 90 minutes, but tracks get old after a short while for us. We would much rather explore the outdoors even if it is on approved trails. Does anyone know of areas open to ATVs in southern Michigan? I know of Silver Lake, but that is still a couple hours from us. We are in Battle Creek. There are a few of us, and I do have that 25 acres if anyone wants to come check it out, but we need variety. Help anyone?

Old 09-21-2001, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Well there is Bull Gap, Some trails in Harrison, Some Trails In Houghton i know the 3 Listed are not that south little north. I seen in a News Paper that michigan has 1,500 Miles of trails. Where the Hell are they?

Old 09-21-2001, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

I think most are U.P.

Here is all I can find on legal trails in the L.P.
Lower Peninsula DNR trails

Old 09-22-2001, 09:34 AM
Range Rover

I know exactly how you feel. I have finally decided to sell my quad.... I just give up... YOU WIN PIGS! There is absolutly nothing you can do on a quad that isn't breaking the law, other than driving around in circles in your own back yard. And even that is assuming that your back yard is 35 feet from the road, and your wearing a helmet, and your bike puts out under so-many decibles of noise, and you haven't had a beer, and your over 16, etc, etc. It's just gotten so ridiculous here that I am literally breaking the law as soon as I pull my bike out of the garage, because my garage is less than 35 feet from the edge of the road! You aren't allowed to drive on public property (city owned), or private property, or roads (even to cross them). What does that leave??? Now the cops in my town just got 4 new quads that they patroll the woods with. There's $30,000 tax paying dollars gone to good use. HA! They carry breathalizers and will fine you for being in the wrong place, or the wrong time, or not being registered, etc. I feel bad selling my quad, because I know I'm letting them win. I know that's what they want, but it's just no fun riding anymore. I can't afford a $144 dollar ticket everytime I wanna go out for a ride. I still have one of those tickets in my wallet I haven't paid yet. Something has to be done about these lawmakers, but what? I know that ATV enthusiests have to band together and make it a cause, but it's not easy to get them to do that. So, in the meantime, I'm gonna have to say bye-bye to my wolverine.

Old 09-22-2001, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

You guys from Michigan need to visit this site,www.miatvassoc.com

This is the site for the newly designed[about 2 yrs ago] ATV association in the State of Michigan.You guys have any idea why are riding rights have been deminished since 1991?I do.And the ONLY way we will ever get them back is to strengthen our associations in clubs like MATVA.

You never hear Michigan Snowmobilers or Motorcyclist complaining of places to ride because they are ORGANIZED,ATVers in Michigan are NOT,but we are finally starting to get there.I totally agree that there is a huge amount of predudice against ATVs in Mi,and there will continue to be until we all UNIFY as ONE!

''STRENGTH IN NUMBERS''

Bill

Old 09-23-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

here's a suggestion. If possible ride to the spot you want to ride at and if the cops come just run. By the time they figure out where you went you should be back at your truck loaded and gone. Especially if you ride in sandy areas like we do up here in the northeast. It is not uncommon for a little race with the locals out of the woods.

Old 09-23-2001, 04:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Chasman,
sorry,but I dont advise running.I know it is usually very easy to out run the boys in blue with an ATV,however,thats one of the reasons ATVs get tighter restrictions on them on a yearly basis.And than when the ATVer that does decide he will abide by the law and stop,the officer usually wont give him/her any breaks.Running from the law only pisses the officer off more for his next stop.

Bill

Old 09-24-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

It's all about the area you ride in.

I can't get to any *LEGAL* trails in less than an hour of my house, but then again, I live in the burbs of a big city. (cincinnati)

If I ride on the illegal trails, then I set MYSELF for ticketing and arrest, something I don't do.

So I drive, so far this season:
2.5 hours each way to Wayne National Forest, done it 7 times.
7.5 hours each way to Silver Lake Michigan, been once.
4.0 hours each way to hatfield mccoy in Wv, just got back from my first trip last night.

I have NEVER had a problem with cops, rangers, or anyone else. But then again I ride to where it's legal!

I have even been allowed to legally ride on the street, right into town (Matewan, WV). Rode past a cop, as he waved "hi" to me. Filled up at a gas station, drove down and ate lunch, then went back up into the WV mountains for more fun than anyone could imagine.

I don't think the laws are getting stiffer, I don't think there are less places to ride.

But then again I'm willing to put in the effort to find the legal places, and I'm willing to pack the truck up and drive away for a weekend...

Now if I owned my own land and someone called the cops, I'd tell the cops to stay the hell off my property without a warrant. Period, end of story. I pay for it, it's mine, I'll ride if I damn want to.

Just my $.02
Brad