Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help with jetting on raptor pipes bright red at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001 | 07:38 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

i just put on hfm full pipe and dyno jet kit and the pro flow kit and when my raptor is sitting just idleing the pipes get red hot i mean realy hot bright red im runnning 146 and 148 main that came with the jetkit and the neddles are on the 4th place, stock pilots jets could any one help thanks hardiride

Old 09-24-2001 | 08:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Your idle circuit is LEAN. Mine would glow the same way until I fixed mine. Check this site out.....pick here. Don't worry about the site talking of tuning a Harley, the carbs are the same type (CV) and adjust the same way.

Old 09-25-2001 | 08:44 AM
EDD
Trailblazer

my pipes glowed stock for about 30 minutes....when i put on a procircuit exhaust system it too glowed for a while..as long as you have re jetted with youre pipe this glowing is normal...on full pipe systems they ushually use a metal alloy for the pipe and the walls are also thinner causeing the glowing.
hope this helps

Old 09-25-2001 | 10:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< my pipes glowed stock for about 30 minutes....when i put on a procircuit exhaust system it too glowed for a while..as long as you have re jetted with youre pipe this glowing is normal... >>

So your pipe glowed red and then quit? This makes no sense, unless you adjusted your idle circuit to cure the problem.
I have tuned my Raptor since last September, had carb blowing off problems for a long time with the lean idle circuit. I have a P-bomb header on mine now and have NO GLOWING headpipe. Trust me, if your headpipe is glowing, it's just a matter of time before your carbs blow off in the middle of no-where. Just trying to help and pass the experience along.

Old 09-25-2001 | 12:21 PM
EDD
Trailblazer

the head pipe doesnt still glow it only did it for a while..both of my raptors have the dyno jet kit and run perfect..they have eazly 75 hours each on them with no carb blow off,
lean was only part of the problum with the carbs blowing off the other was too tight intake valves (you could see the boots on the carb throb with the rpms)when you get youre valves adjusted it stops)and too low of an idle,in fact the graydon equiped raptor is a little rich not lean...
if you have rejetted for the pipe and the plug looks good (tan not white) youre jetting is fine.dont let any pipe glow fool you.

Old 09-25-2001 | 12:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<< the graydon equiped raptor is a little rich >>

The plug was checked after idling a while or after riding?

<< if you have rejetted for the pipe and the plug looks good (tan not white) youre jetting is fine.dont let any pipe glow fool you. >>

Do you mean check to the plug after letting the machine idle a while for the possible lean idle circuit?

EDD...is there anywhere to ride around Ocala? I am down that way occasionally and could dig throwing some sand. Cat'cha later.

Old 09-25-2001 | 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

Well, according to the techs at Big Gun, they say that this motor inheerently runs too hot. It is a big problem, they have seen guys that have let their motors idle too long completely melt the pistons and sieze the motor.

He says the bike runs fine and cools itself naturally when you are riding, but DONT LET YOUR BIKE SIT and IDLE for longer than a minute, just shut it down. Its not like you have to get up and kick start it. Its a better option than doing some serious damage to your motor. If your pipes are glowing red, imagine what your cylinder, gaskets and seals must be doing.

Call up Big Gun exhaust if you want more info about this problem.

Old 09-26-2001 | 09:21 AM
EDD
Trailblazer

IVE GONE TO OCALA ONCE , DIDNT GET TO EXPLORE THE NATIONAL FOREST MUCH ,WAY TOO MANY ROADS AND NOT ENOUGT TIME.STOP AT ANY OF THE RAGER STATIONS AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A MAP SHOWING WHERE YOU CAN RIDE.IF YOU CAN FIND SOME ONE TO SHOW YOU AROUND THAT WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO..IM LOCATED IN TALLAHASSEE.
I HATE TO SOUND LIKE A KNOW IT ALL BELIVE ME IM NOT,HERES WHAT I DO KNOW.I INSTALLED A DIGITAL TEMP GAUGE ON EACH BIKE.MY STOCK RAPTOR CONSTANTLY RAN 10 TO 20 DEGREES HOTTER NO MATTER WHAT THE RIDING CONDITIONS,THAN THE MODIFED ONE,,WHEN I HOPED UP THE STOCK ONE THE TEMP DROPED JUST LIKE THE FIRST DID.AT IDLE JUST SITTING IT SELDOM GETS 210..THE FAN MIGHT COME ON IF I JUST GOT DONE RIDING HARD,IT TURNES ON AT 214,AND OFF AROUND 208.I NEVER TAKE OFF UNTIL THE TEMP IS 175.THAN IT IS READY TO ROCK.
RIDING TEMP RUNS AROUND 180 TO 190.AND I RIDE IN THE AFTERNOON WHEN ITS HOT NOT AT NIGHT WHEN ITS COOL.
YOU BASICALY HAVE THE SAME SET UP AS ME.IM AT SEA LEVEL WITH THE CARBS SET UP EXCATLY THE SAME SETTINGS AS PER DYNO JET.ALTHOUGH BOTH BIKES HAVE DIFFRENT PIPE SET UPS THEY RUN IDENTICAL ON MINE.
IF MY IDLE CIRCUT WAS LEAN THE GAUGE WOULD SHOW A SEVERE SPIKE AT IDLE.
I WAS WORRIED WHEN MINE FIST DID IT(IT DID IT THE FIRST NIGHT I HAD IT HOME FROM THE DEALER AND I THOUGHT ID SHOT MY MOTOR),WHEN IT DID IT AGAIN WITH THE AFTERMARKET SET UP I CALLED GRAYDON(TALKED TO STEVE)THAN I CALLED DYNO JET.I STILL WASNT SATISFIED SO I WENT TO A FEW OTHER YAMAHA BOARDS AND ASKED AROUND,,,AS YOU I THOUGHT I WAS LEAN..
IM NOT LEAN ,I WASNT AND I DONT THINK YOU ARE AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOWED THE DYNO JET INSTRUCTIONS....PUT A NEW PLUG IN AND RUN FULL THROTTLE DOWN A STRAIT AWAY 1 TO 1.5 MILES,CHOP THE THROTTLE AND KILL THE MOTOR AT THE SAME TIME.COAST TO A STOP PULL THE PLUG AND CHECK THE UPPER PORTION ,THAT IS WHERE THE IDLE CIRCUIT IS READ..I BELIVE THAT IS THE CORECT WAY TO CHECK.BUT IM NOT POSITIVE.

HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE.JUST MY 2CENTS
EDD