Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee owners I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were buying a new quad today what would it be?

I ask this because, I have a 2001 raptor and it is a nice bike. I am going to give it to the wife and buy either a banshee or a bombardier baja 650. I sat on two baja 650's and they are very nice and solid. They are heavy, but I like the feel of them.

My dilema is, while at Little sahara Utah this past weekend, the two strokes were smokin everyone up sand mountain. I was not impressed with my raptor's performance. I am going to drop a tooth on the front sprocket soon. The raptor ran great, but up that hill it was no competition for those two strokes.

I like the fact that the ds is built for big guys and can take it and I like the four stroke grunt when needed. I am currently leaning toward the baja, except that they go for $7400 and I can get a brand new banshee for like $5500 or in that range. That extra cash could make one screaming banshee.

Well, back to the original question, What would you buy today if you were going out to buy a new quad?

Thanks for your input
Bat

Old 11-05-2001, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you could use a Cannondale. Powers like a 2stroke and handles like a 400ex.

Old 11-05-2001, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I tend to agree with SparkyEX, however, the C-Dales are in the DS price range. CdaleRacer and Moto24 have reported that their C-Dales have spanked a few "Big Blue's". You cannot argue with the DS's reputation. Everyone I have talked to commented on their "tank-likeness", but, also, the fact that they have never broke down. More and more engine builders are starting to recognize the DS's potential. Knutz actually makes a 706cc kit, that will really boost the HP.

However, with a Banshee, you get bolt on HP. Buy a set of pipes and it will rip your arms out of socket. Another "pro" to the Banshee is that it has so many mods out for it. You can take the Raptor, 400EX, and Bombardier's modifications, and all added together they don't equal HALF the aftermarket parts produced for the twin screamer. As you said, you can buy a Banshee new for close to $6,000 out the door. I will also trust you on the $7,400 figure on the DS. That is $1,400 difference! Add a set of $400 pipes, RAD valves, Pro-Flow kit, K&N Filter, and you will have what MOST Banshees have. And you still have money to spend on it!

Another good thing about 2 strokes is that they are sooo easy to work on! Even though you will go through the hassel of getting the cylinders bored, replacing the piston or whatever, the mechanics part of the Banshee engine is simple! So I guess it just depends on what you're buying the bike for. If you want it to go straight uphill, and back down, buy the Banshee. But if you want to cruise around, take your time, enjoy the scenery, and still have brutal power, and awesome reliability, my nod would go to the DS.

If you think a Banshee is the machine for you, mine is for sale! I will be making a trip to Wyoming next summer, and I would LOVE to get some riding done up there! Happy Trails...

Old 11-05-2001, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

A good friend of mine has a ds 650 he loves it,he has done alot of engine mods to it because he has a need for speed.(Team pami 760 on NOS) I rode it befor the NOS and it was a very nice ride. (Seems real heavy compared to the Banshees) but from what i can gather from your post you may be of larger size, If so the DS650 would make a great ride for you. it seems to me a guy with a little weight could throw them around a little better...
not that i'm so small... I was raised on 2 strokes and just can't seem to let them go, To me there is no better feeling than the feeling of hitting the pipe. (except maybe sex and i can hit the pipe more often than i can get sex...oh back to the suject of Banshees, they too are a great ride, and they are fairly cheap to modify??? compared to a 4 stroke...My opinion more bang for the buck. you will have to make up your own mind on this one of course. I happend to choose the Banshee cause they haul @ss fairly cheap. (I like CHEAP Haul @ss) Whoo hoo GT.

Old 11-05-2001, 11:42 PM
The Facility

To the buying a new ATV question. Here's the plan. Put a second mortgage on the house and pick up the following:

[1]Another Raptor

[2]Honda 400EX

[3]Yamaha Banshee

[4]Cannondale {ALL versions}

[5]Bombardier DS 650 and the Baja 650

[6]Go ahead and put deposits on the new Suzuki

[7]Save some dough and wait on the Kawie.

If only it was that simple right? Or is it that simple?

Had fun with it anyway.

KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-06-2001, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I wish it were just that easy. I like the raptor, but the four stroke hit sucks. It just doesn't have the smack in the face hit of a two stroke. If I could, I would buy a DS baja and a banshee and then see what I like better and then sell the other. But I can't.

I had this dilema when buying my raptor and must say I am somewhat disapointed. The raptor is ok, but is not banshee quick.

I keep wavering in my decision and just cannot decide between these two bikes. I know with either I will be modifiying it to fit what I want as for speed.

I am a speed freak, not really speed as much as quickness. I like to get up to speed fast.

I have been into going fast for as long as I can remember. Hell, when I was 16 and driving my 1969 oldsmobile vista cruiser station wagon with the rocket 350 engine in it, I had it up to 130 mph. That thing moved for a wagon and it would smoke the tires too. I guess my parents thought what kind of trouble can a kid get into with a station wagon. Well, they had no idea.

Anyway back on topic. I like quick, fast things and the raptor is ok, but not the hit of a two stroke.

I will still have to make up my mind. The money thing keeps coming back to me. I can get a new banshee for like 5600 and get $300 in accessories right now and put a few hundred more in and the thing will scream.

Well I will let you know.
Bat

Old 11-06-2001, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

If you don`t like the 4 stroke hit, then you need a banshee. I heard the DS had something that looked like a 2 stroke powerband, and the Cdale too.
But the banshee still is cheaper. Add a set of pipes (380$ for PC or T5s), K&N air filter (40$) and a degree key (25$), and you`ll have a shee at its normal reliable potential. Then get the head shaved (or get a 300$ cool head), VForceII reeds and bored carbs, and you won`t be far from the 50rwhp mark. Which is pretty good, for an "almost" low price. And if your wallet still is too heavy...well...there are too many option to name them.
Don`t forget standard DSs are going for 5000OTD right now (that`s what they say on the bomba forum). Pretty good deals.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, somebody else from Wyoming.
Batoutahell, Since you live in Rock Springs you have some nice dunes right near by I say go for the Basnhee. Banshee is THE dune machine as far as I'm concerned. The DS650s and Raptors run pretty good but the Banshee is the winner in the bang for the buck category. One thing though, those Banshees at LS Utah were probably pretty heavily modified; fast machines there.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Wyoduner, Yeah the dunes here are pretty nice. I have kind of ruled out the banshee, because I sat on one and just did not like the feel. I had not been on one in ten years and I just did not think it was comfortable. I am a very large guy and I want a bike with a solid feel to it. I thought the banshee I sat on at the dealer felt flimsy. I don't know, but I was not impressed.

I have been looking at the cannibal lately too. I thought the feel of the cannibal was more like the DS. They feel nice and solid.

Which ever I decide on I plan on modifying heavily. If I were to get a banshee, I was looking at putting on the fmf 400 cc powervalve kit and of course the standard bolt ons like pipes and air filter and jetting.

If I do the DS, I plan on next year getting the 703 kit that pami does and knutz is the distributor for. That is like $2600 for that setup. The banshee setup would cost similar to that.

Anyway thanks for your input, I find this decision to be very hard. I just don't want to be disapointed with what I buy.

Thanks
bat

Old 11-10-2001, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well lets see if I can help!!!!!!

I had the chance to ride a DS this past sept. at the atv Jamboree in utah. I was impressed but not overly excited it felt good and had plenty of power but wasn't just nibble enough for me and believe me when I say I can throw this machine around like I do my grizzlies. I've ridden raptors 400EXs and the lot and I still come back to my Banshee nothing is like feeling that 2 stroke come alive on the pipe. I'm a big guy and My banshee feels great rides great and performs like no other except maybe my old 250r. My guess is if you don't like a Raptor you'll be disappointed with any other 4 stroke out there go for the Banshee and the myth about not being able to putt around and enjoy it also is really just a myth. just blip the throttle every now and then to get it on the pipe and clean out the soot and you'll be happy with it. I had my banshee for 2 years now and it still has the same plugs in it that came in it off the show room floor. starts 1st kick and runs like a raped ape with T5s a K&N with pro-flow and some other mods.

Get the Banshee you'll be money ahead and ahead of the competition.....

Quick Reply: Banshee owners I have a question.