Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine, let the mods begin...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well finally decided on the wolverine today,it came with 25" Dirt D's & Itp alum. wheels. Very nice quad, it has plenty of power to haul me & my wife around. If everything goes right I plan on taking off work early tomorrow & break her in.

I saw an ad in dirt wheels from four stroke tech about selling 446cc kit for the wolverine for about $650 my wife said it can be my stocking stuffer for this year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Has anyone ever used this kit before & how reliable are they?

THANKS,WILL

Old 11-21-2001, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

Why don't you e-mail Mickey Dunlap, the owner of FST and ask him. He has a website, or call him. I think he will give you the straight skinny, I think he was racing one last year.

Old 11-21-2001, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

That kit is a bore and stroke kit. I don't know what kind of success people have had with it, but I do know that Powroll won't stroke Wolverine or Big Bear motors anymore, and offer only the oversize piston

Due to the excessive length of the output shafts on these models, Powroll will not stroke the Wolverine or Big Bear cranks. After extensive testing, we found it was impossible to guarantee alignment on them.

This is direct from their website.
Maybe Micky Dunlap knows something that Powroll doesn't, but it still seems to me that you're increasing your chances of a mishap.
However, both FST and Powroll offer bore kits for the Wolverine, and a bigger bore is very unlikely to affect your reliability.

Old 11-21-2001, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

I wrote M.Dunlap about the kit he said it requires cylinder re-sleeving & case boring. How much money would a shop ask for to do this kind of work & would I have a hard time to finding someone to do it?

One more question,
I plan on buying a performance package from highlifter in the near future but I've never worked on an atv before, so should I leave it to the Yamaha shop to install the package?

Thanks guys,
by the way the Wolverine ran great today

Old 11-21-2001, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

rubicon4x4, i have had mickeys 446 kit for about 2 and a half years now with no problems. i tried pipes, jet kits, different cams, etc. but wasn't happy. the bike runs fantastic and has a ton of torque. i want the most low end possible so i left the cam and carb stock. i don't run a pipe due to a lot of private owners don't like the loud noise around the livestock. i have 25 in. bears claws on the bike. in the mud the bike is great. as for the reliabilty question: i bought the crankshaft used from mike penland who used to race wolverines back 95 or 96 i think. (he has now switched to a 650 kawasaki in the gncc utility modified.) the crank had one and a half years of racing on the gncc circuit, plus all the leisure riding and all the practice riding on the crank. i didn't do anything to the crank, just put it in. i have had no problems, no noises or overheating. so it does look like 4 stroke tech knows how to do the cranks. (not knocking powroll) it's not the easiest job to do, but i will promise you, it is worth all the trouble!

Old 11-21-2001, 11:34 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I looked into the Highlifer power kit for the Wolverine but I thought it was expensive. I know I have looked and could buy all the stuff they listed for less than the 380 they wanted for it. I have been looking at the Team Alba kit that gives you the pipe, K&N filter, Pre filter, jet kit, and torque tube all for 269 and is dyno proven for a 19% increase in power.

Old 11-22-2001, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

I found a performance package from golden west cycle & there selling
a race exhaust(fmf,wb e or r series,big gun) k-n filter, main jet, splitfire plug for 320.00. They claim a 20-25% increase in horsepower. This doesnt sound to bad. That was the stage one kit & the other kits include complete carb kit, hi compression piston, gwc cam, & valve spring kit.

Old 11-22-2001, 02:32 PM
wyd
Range Rover

320 sound like a good price from Golden West. I might look into that setup also. Not that I really need anymore power from my Wolv. but I do like the sound of pipes and if I get some more performance for a little price then I will take it.

Old 11-22-2001, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

Does Golden West have a web site?

Old 11-22-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

this is golden west's site i think.

Hey man in dirtwheels awhile back i saw a 500cc kit and manual clutch equipped wolvie, I'd definatly look into getting that manual clutch! The 500cc kit is supposed to be wicked though they got it at Four Stroke Tech. Later

Quick Reply: wolverine, let the mods begin...