Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 RAPTOR,GRIZZ Reverse Rev Limiter Bypass NEW WAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2002 Raptor reverse rev limiter is a JOKE.What good is reverse if your stuck in the mud and you cant get enough RPMS to pull you out.I guess since Yamee changed the reverse gear and made it lower they were worried about people blowing the engines while the machines are under warrenty.I cant think of any other reasons why they would do it.I also hear the grizzly also has one but im not sure if this will work on the grizzly or not.
Ive been doing some reseach on here and it looks like the only way I found to get around the rev limiter is to put a switch in line in order to make the reverse light still work.I dont no about you but I dont want to mount a toggle switch on my brand new raptor plus have to use a switch everytime you want to use reverse.Being in the 12v car audio buisness I figured I mess with it a little and see what I can Do,This is what I came up with.
Down where the shifter is their is 2 plugs,one is for the nuetral light and one is for the reverse light and REV LIMITER,UGGGGGGGGGG.The one you are looking for is the lower plug with the green with a white stripe I beleive.This wire when you click into reverse goes to an open circuit which really sucks,I was hoping it would go to ground or 12v when clicking into reverse gear,youll see why later.You can leave this plug plugged in and follow it up under the chain about four or five inches away from the plug.Now strip back the black outer coating around the wire and just cut the wire in half.
If you look above the shifter area you will see an 8 mil. bolt that has some wires grounded to it,thats what I used for ground.Now take the side of green white wire that goes to the shifter and extend it and run it up to the reverse light.Take the other side of the green white wire and put a round loop on it and ground the wire to the other ground wires i talked about earlyer.Now by grounding that wire the rev limiter is now bypassed in reverse [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Now up at the reverse light you can pop the light out easyly to get to the wires.There is a brown wire and a blue or green wire coming off the light.Cut blue wire and attach the wire you ran from the shifter switch directly to the light.Tape off the other side of the blue wire and you are done.
OK heres the kicker though.Now the reverse light is on all of the time except when you put it in reverse the light goes out.So its pretty much the total oppasite of what is is before.
The reason is because like I said earlyer the reverse light switch goes to open when clicking into reverse.If it went to ground or 12v You could light the reverse light the correct way and still bypass the rev limiter.
Anyways im pretty happy with doing it this way and it does not bother me that the light stays on all the time.I can still tell when I go into reverse because the reverse light goes out instead of on.It will just take a few rides to get used to.It sure beats haveing that damm rev limiter on reverse.
If anyone else can think of another way of doing this please post it.Also please post your thoughts on this idea and tell me what you think.You can also E mail me at Sonydigit@aol.com Keep on Riding !!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Have you thought about using a relay in the reverse light circuit? The primary side (shifter circuit) would be energized all the time and would hold the secondary side (reverse light) open. When the primary side gets opened by the shifter going into reverse, the secondary side will drop closed and light the reverse light. I haven't gone into great detail, but I think you can see where I'm going with this. Try it out and let us know.

Old 12-03-2001, 11:37 AM
Banned

x250rDude,

I'm glad that you finally found a way to bypass the revolution limiter. I know that this was really bothering you, and rightfully so!!. Good job

IronBear

Old 12-03-2001, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Ron,when I was wiring this thing up I was thinking of using a relay but I just couldnt figure how it would trigger the relay since when you switch into reverse their is no voltage or ground present.I kinda think i no where you are going at but cant quite figure it out.If you could tell me how to do it using the numbers on the relay,(example 30,27A......)I might just get where you are coming at.I will be using a normal 5 pin bosch type relay.I just cant figure how you would trigger the relay with no voltage present.Any help would be great. Tim

Old 12-04-2001, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Tim

Whats your email address , I'll send you a diagram of how to connect it up

Mark[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

That would be great its sonydigit@aol.com

Old 12-06-2001, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know the specifics, but I can email you a diagram too of what I'm getting at.
If I understand you right, the shifter circuit is normally energized, so the coil of the relay goes in series in that cct.
The secondary cct is from +12v to the contacts of the relay to the light to ground, all in series. This cct is held open when the coil is energized.
When you shift to reverse, the shifter cct goes open so the coil is no longer energized. that lets the contacts in the secondary cct to close, creating a path from +12v to ground thru the light.

Old 12-07-2001, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Tim

Having problems with our mail , but I think I got the relay diagram through to you . If not , I'll have to try something else

Old 12-07-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I by passed my rev box and installed a water proof micro switch under the seat .
now when I ride it is bypassed ,when my wife rides it I can have it back to a standard limit ....work's well I think ..and didnt have to add or wire any relays into the system .....not that that isint a great way to do it !!!just thought I'ed add a alternative way to do it !!