Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee problem not running right at idle please Helppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I went to start my Shee it was almost impossible to start,When I finally did get it lit off I warmed it up and took it for a brief ride.Problem is I would let it come down to idle it would stall and not stay rnning when I hit the throttle every other time it would idle higher before it would come down and stall and when I hit the gas it was like it would bogthen I hit it again and it would bog again before it would rev out.Its a 2000 w pro design air filter t5s,I cleaned the plugs they were fouled wet,THis is how i got bike lit off.THe air cleaner is perfectly clean too. I didnt want to run it too long I dont want to damage the motor.Its about 30 somehting out bike had not been run in awhile. The exhaust stream seems even firing and it looks whitish/bluish I'm not losing coolant cause bottle is full.I dont know what the jetting is but I praay I dont have to have my fairly new bike rebuilt.Bike didnt do this when it was warm out it was just hard to start tho. the man i bought it off said he ran it at 50:1 I went to 32:1 cause toomeys site tells ya to run it at that.I have some mechanical skill but this is driving me nuts and I dont want to misdiagnose or part change.I would appreciate respectable advice,this is making me soo upset i just got my trailer to ride somewhere and now this[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]I was really looking forward to getting sideways hee hee.I dont know if its not getting gas or if its lean,I pulled out the choke ,the idle went higher briefly and stalled.I was told the bike didnt have too many hours on it so why am I having problems w it and dont tell me the Banshee is a piece of crap cause that isnt helping me or the problem at all by saying that.

Old 12-27-2001, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

OK, put new plugs in, clean your carbs, set the idle screw wherever the hell it is suppose to be(check manual) then see what happens. I would say you need to bump up your premix ratio to 40:1 I was fouling plugs left and right with that mix, but I wouldn't jump from 32:1 to 50:1. If that doesn't help, you are going to have to rejet probably. Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2001, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 banshee with Pro Design Pro Flow and FMF Fatty pipes and sils.
To tell you the truth I use 4% of Yamalube with a 98 octane pump gas ,at sea level, with 260 main jets and 25 pilot jets. That is a 25/1 oil to gas ratio. I have NO, I repeat, NO problem with that at all !!
Check if there is enought gas in the gas tank.(it happens)
After you check all that, I would try to start the engine, put it into first and try to let off the clutch, then you have to start pulling slightly from the choke. If it bogs all the way, now you know that the engine is breathing to much gas (rise the air or smaller jets), But if it begin to run right hten the engine isn´t having enought gas to suck (rise the jets or close the air intake a bit).

Good Luck and stay in touch.
I you want, my email is: sparky2001@mailandnews.com

Old 12-28-2001, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot Ill try that,It would rev out alright but It was like a lean miss/bog until it hit midrange on the throttle.

Old 12-28-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure your choke balance tube did not fall off one of the carbs.

It is a small black rubber tube, about 4 inches long, and connects the two carbs together.

You must remove the seat and look down between the carbs to see this tube. It falls off quite easliy, especially when cleaning. It won't run worth a darn unless this tube is hooked on both sides to a carb.

Good luck!