Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I flipped My 2000 Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2000, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,
I just thought I would give a damage report on my 2K Kodiak 4X4 that came over backwards so Kodiak owners will know what may get bent.
Number-1, I gotta get rid of the OEM tires. I tried to climb a hill and they slipped and spun. I hit the brakes and then used the front brakes to let me down. Well a rock at the bottom big enough to act as a wheel chock stopped my descent via the rear wheel and she came over. I dis-mounted to the side and it landed on the bars beside me. The ground was hard.
We flipped her over and pulled the bars and levers back up but the bars were bent. When I purchased it one of the first things I did was to make sure the levers were tightened to a point so that they would move in such an event so not to break.
The Damage? Bent handle bars and the Steering stem is also bent pretty good. When I removed the bars I could see the stem had a problem so I pulled it. My Handle bar mounted Hella 550 Driving light is trash. The rear rack is tweaked very slightly.
I may list the charges for the parts later next week. I am doing the labor. I hear they are getting $35.00 an hour.
Pulling the stem is not fun. The fender system with the nice fender wells that keep the engine area so clean make it necessary to remove it. Talk about time comsuming.
She fired right up and ran good all the way home.

therock

Old 02-14-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A $35 on hour labor charge? that would be considered a bargain in Az. You may want to consider some replacement bars such as Renthals rather than bending the others back again..two bends will surely weaken the bars & be somewhat dangerous in another incident. By the way the commonly accepted term for that manuever you did is called "looping it".

Old 02-15-2000, 06:14 AM
Pro Rider

Looped It I Did,
I am springing for new bars, and doing my own lobor on the Steering Stem and Upper Stem Bushing. Waiting on parts now. She looks pretty SAD sitting there all scattered.
Thanks,

therock

Old 02-15-2000, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rock:

I know the feeling. I just rolled my Kodiak (sideways) down a 50 yard incline. I was climbing up with some speed (so I wouldn't lose traction) and hit something that popped the front wheels into air. It came up and over and actually flipped sideways right over the top of me before continuing (about 3 flips) down the hill into some trees. I was lucky...no damage to me or the Kodiak.

Old 02-17-2000, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Other than the litle accident how do you like the new machine? I also just purchased a 2000 kodiac and the first thing to go is the stock tires. Ohter than that it seems to be a real sweet ride. The engine brake gets big thumbs up. Also you may want to look into insurance for your machine I picked some up for only $115 a year and it covers everything. Yes even a crash.

Old 02-17-2000, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

Who is that ins through ????? best quote iv found so far is like 400 a year ???

Old 02-17-2000, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

KOMATSU,
I love the machine. Only 12 hours on it and it looks like 100. YES trash the OEM tires or save them for RE-sale time. I want Bear Claws.
I have insurance with Universal Underwriters at $110.00 a year with a $250.00 deductable. Who are you with and what is your deal? My repairs are lower than expected. I am a machinest and took my stem in and fixed it. So no need for a claim.

AC

Old 02-17-2000, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same insurance as you it seems to be a good deal. I just had my new Mud Sharks (26x9x12 frt 26x12x12 rear) mounted up today. Boy does this machine look sweet now. The group I ride with ride every sunday so I will get back to you on their performance. I had Bear Claws on my last machine and I must say they performed very well. The only reason I went with Mud Sharks this time is so I could try a different tread to see which one performes the best. I also mounted my new superwinch just in case.

Old 02-18-2000, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

You guys got a contact # for that ins co ????
thats some darn good rates

Old 02-18-2000, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

Universal Underwriters Insurance Company
Recreational Products Insurance Division
6363 College Blvd.
Overland Park, Kansas 66211

800-238-2446

therock

Quick Reply: I flipped My 2000 Kodiak