Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

would a piped Raptor beat a stock Quadzilla?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both so i can tell you honestly which is faster. The zilla is faster stock for stock. As for hp, mine dynoed at 60 hp with gobs of torque. mine was bored 30 over with an FMF pipe. Top speed, a zilla will blow by a raptor. As for acceleration, I would give that edge to the zilla as well due to the longer wheelbase and a little more hp. Surface would play a role though. 2 strokes dont hook up as well in the soft stuff as a 4 stroke.

My raptor is wheelie prone. My raptor dynos at 48.1 hp with k&n, e-series and dynojet kit. I love the raptor but would have a zilla still if it wasnt so da*n unreliable.

As for banshees, lol. A stock zilla smokes a stock banshee, no question about it. It isnt even close. A stock raptor out accelerates a stock banshee in 2/3 races! That isnt even counting a piped raptor. I have ridden with many banshees when I had my zilla. Nowadays, there are so many crazy mods for the banshee that you can work a banshee till it blows any zilla away. That is only because zillas arent made anymore and there is no market for mods.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

I remember when I got my first blasterI thought I was hot stuff ( i was 17)...this friend of mines dad at the time had bought a 90 model 500zilla....I was talking trash to him about how I could run with him and how it wasnt that fast....he ok lets go to the field and see what you got...we got there and he just jumped off his quad and said you take it for a ride before we race and see what you think...so i jump on it crank her up...offcourse i jumped into it right off...to this day i swear on my life that the front wheels didnt hit the ground until half way thru 5 gear...and i was almost sitting on the handle bars just to keep it down...i only wieghted 117 lbs..when i got back to the guyhis eyes where as big as plates!!!...he and I quote..." either your stupid or you are one brave sons a bit$h....ive never seen nothing like that in all my life"...all in all...i was scared to death never thought it was going to be that fast....ever sence then i have wanted one but it just never happened....now I have a raptor...its just not the same trust me!!!!

Old 02-27-2002, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

48Hp with just pipe and filter sounds a little high to me

Old 02-27-2002, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

Ok. first off a piped banshee wouldnt be no where near a challege for the Quadzilla. When my Ds was stock I beat piped banshees with out any problem. Also someone said that a stock quadzilla was rated at 51 hp.Is that at the flywheel? A DS is rated at 52 hp at the flywheel.Stock DS makes 40-42 rear wheel hp. Piped, Jetted, carb mount k&n DS would prolly make around 48-50 rear wheel. Raptors have what about 35-36 rear wheel stock. Piped, Jetted, air box moddified, K&n Raptor should make around 46-48 rear wheel hp. So why would a Stock Quadzilla kill these two bikes with the mods listed so bad?

Old 02-27-2002, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

how about this

the line up..... we got a piped/moded 250r
piped/moded cannondal cannibal
stock zilla
raptor 660 piped/moded
banshee piped/moded
what do you think would be the placings???????????????????

Old 02-28-2002, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]i agree, 48hp ,sounds steep!

Old 02-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

mojokid123 you can line up your quads all piped and modified and you can get a banshee, lt250, 250R, and anything else you want, THEN go get a STOCK cannibal, it probably wont beat them all, but it will run with any of them, stock none the less. ANd ill bet you spend way more than 6599, on all of the machines, which is what youll pay for a stock new cannibal. Tell you what guys, all these quad rock! they are all fun and it gives us something to talk about and waste our days comming up with all these hypotheticals. But lets face it, every quad out on the market today, except for the Cannondale should have been released in 1990 after the demise of the two strokes. These Japanesse manufactures have been screwing us all with these 10-17 year old frames and designs. The Raptor is innovative, great looks, fast easily modifyable to probably beat anything but a totally modified Banshee, the Z 400 is fresh and looks good, the DS650 is something new, but COME ON
a liquid cooled, four or five valve high revving four stroke, should have been released decades ago. And all of these quads are foreign companies. Finally a company came along and made an aluminum frame, an electronic fuel injected engine that revvs to the moon, with aftermarket shocks, and ALL the goodies right in the box, AND it is made in the USA to boot. Every one of you should be buying cannondales, sure there are some minor problems, most have been fixed, but they have been only making quads for 2, lets say it again 2 years. I cant wait to see what they will have in two (2) more years. Cannondales are the freshest thing to hit this market EVER, I dont see why more people arent buying them, and saying f**k off to the japaneese guys tillthey give us a real quad, not some 1987 design with new graphics! My .02 LOL
graham

Old 02-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Geeez Graham, the wife wasn't home when you needed her to be last night, was she[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

yea I came across a little rough, I just feel like the Manufacturers are screwing us, and finally one of US, Cannondale, came along and really made a sweet machine, i cant believe DW and all the mags are not hailing these guys as kings, and trying to get everyone to buy them, because if nobody bought the Hondas, Yamahas, suzukis, etc they would put out some great machines and we would have tons of great choices!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with trout to a extent. I should have given more thought to buying a cannondale before I bought a raptor but I didn't even know where to go and even look at one and still don't. Even though the 5 valve cylinder design is not brand new it is really only starting to get into car engines now as well. So it is somewhat innovative. All quads now should at least be feul injected.

Quick Reply: would a piped Raptor beat a stock Quadzilla?