Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

would a piped Raptor beat a stock Quadzilla?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< Hey BadBombardier650...
Your the one that said A DS650 will put out 40-42 hp, not me. I think they are alot more equal than that. IF they are both putting out about the same hp (which I believe) and even giving the hp edge to the Bomb, A stock banshee with proper jetting with pipes alone will put out an additional 8-15 hp. I have seen this regardless what you say. I have seen 51 hp banshees with pipes alone. Good luck!
>>

was this before or after you smoked the pound of crack...

Old 03-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Im going to have to dis all the cannondale riders out there that think these things are so ahead of everbody in a tech stand point...I was in the shop that I always go to for parts and where I bought my Raptor...and they have got a cannondale in there now thats going to cost 4500 bucks to fix the motor he blew while he was racing it at a local MX track....why did he blow it...the frame cracked pumped all the oil out..and siezed the motor....sounds like there going backwards to me?

Old 03-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

LOL,

I dynoed it. In fact I was a little dissappointed because the CT setup got over 49 hp in dirt wheels magazine. So why would that be high? You guys dont have your bike tweaked right if you arent getting that with a dynojet kit, muffler and k&amp;n

Old 03-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

guys, i know little about quads besides how to ride them/the basics, but i must agree hands down the zilla vs raptor/piped shees is like a bb gun vs a train.... im not much about hp, but that does sound really high, i dont want a 2stroke, those (my opinion) belong in dirtbikes. i want a 4stroke, i used to HATE ds650's before i drove one, and man can i say power!!! not as much as my t-cat, but hey, im scared of my t-cat. coming from a warrior i didnt think it would have that much POWER! and to think a zilla has more it makes me shiver. hands down i think cannondale is great, and i do think that the 1987 frames are far too old, maybe theyll come out with an 800ex, liquid cooled, 12in travel front and rear, and only weighs 350lbs+reverse, and costs 1000 over the raptor, i would buy it! that sounds impossible i know, but just think when honda really puts theyre brains together and thinks the ground shakes.

800ex, reverse, 12in travel front and rear+reverse! 350lbs too!

im in way over my head [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]....

Old 03-01-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, cctman I have an old mag with a stock shootout in it. Stock 500 vs. stock Banshee. They said the 500 was faster and had alot more torque. They also said that you could make a Banshee faster than what you could make the Zilla. I also have an old mag with a Noleen modded banshee vs. the ATK 604! I wish they would have put that ATK into production, but then again what would that mean today, way back then a production 600cc quad! Today quads would pobably be like 1000cc.

RAPTORMEAN exactly where did the frame crack? Not that I'm worried,just curious.

Old 03-02-2002, 03:49 AM
Range Rover

cctman,

Ok, are you talking about flywheel or rear wheel Horse power motors. And when you say piped do you mean just pipes and silencers or jetted also. And what is your definition of &quot;with good tuning&quot; Because a stock DS is rated at 52 flywheel horse power. Which is around 40-42 rear wheel horse power. I am not saying that banshees can't gain like 10 hp from pipes and silencers. But stock for stock they make less rear wheel horse power than a Raptor which has 36. And you said that banshees would make 8-15 more hp than a stock DS. Which is 40-42 at the wheels. I just cant see an only piped banshee even in really good tune makeing over 45 rear wheel power. Now maby I have never ran into a good tuned piped banshee yet. When my DS was all stock I ran a dead even race with a 99 or 00 Banshee that had pipes, silencers, jetted, reeds, air box mods, and the rev limiter box disconected. From a dead stop on asphalt we stayed side by side until I hit my rev limiter in 5th gear. Then he walked away from me. But he was very impresed with the power of my stock DS. Also these people have like 3 banshees(one of which they claim has 70 rwhp. I havent race that one yet), 2 250rs ,2 250 motocross bikes and 1 125 motocross bike. All that have been modified. So I would think that they new how to build a 2 stroke. But I could be wrong. Also I don't really see a point in arguing what a banshee is capable of. You have your experences with banshees and I have had my experence with racing banshees. We both know what we have seen. I just didnt think that a piped banshee would run with a quadzilla. That is just my personal experence with them. Because people on this forum have said that a stock Quadzilla would beat a piped Ds 650 and my Stock DS has beat piped Banshees. So even though my math isint that great I still just put 2 and 2 together. lol

Old 03-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey BadBombardier650..
No problem dude, and to tell you the truth in your defense I was not there to know exactly what he did or rather didn't do to the engine in the banshee. Looks can be vary deceiving. I have known of some riders personally before that claimed only a piped jetted configuration in drags just to find out later that they had actually ported and polished the exhaust/intake, and were running higher CC domes for compression. You can never really tell unless your there when they tear appart the motor. But, I do know that both machines are of good quality, and I really love both the DS 650, and the banshee. Anything that was made for the dunes has got to be good.
But I have seen some unbelievabley high hp banshees with just pipes. The reason why I say 8-15 extra hp at the rear wheel, Is because lets say if the banshee I saw was putting out 37.5 hp or even 38hp stock then after proper jetting and the Toomey pipes he was then putting out 51 hp on the dyno, then that would be a dramatic increase over stock. thats 13 hp over stock. If he was originally running 38hp. I really don't know what was in the engine originally, but he claimed stock. The guy I knew fairly well, I don't think he would have lied. But that is just water under the bridge. Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

<< How about a piped banshee vs. a stock zilla. Somehow, I don't think the zilla would have the edge anymore. Anybody have any old magazines on any shootouts of the banshee vs. the zilla, or moded banshee vs. moded zilla? I know that was Yamaha's weapon against the venerable zilla in its day. >>

I had the pleasure of buying a new 1988 Banshee, in stock form it would run a shade over 70 mph. I put Pipes on it, modified the airbox and used Toomey's jet ket. It really picked it up, now close to 79 to 80 mph. But, I couldn't beat a STOCK Zilla. Keep in mind this is 1988 and everyones stuff is factory new..... Not like now when the Zilla's are 14 or 15 years old and just god knows what kind of mods or maintenance has been done.

So, I traded the Shee for a new 1989 Zilla, box stock 83 mph and easier to ride in the dunes. Put a pipe on it, rejetted, 91 mph. Rode that way for almost 2 years mixing Maxima Super M @ 32to1, kept the air filter serviced and the tranny oil changes..... No problems whatsoever and it was a blast to ride. And I NEVER lost to any Banshee with similiar mods, now the alcohol burning, 4 foot swing arm monster was a different story...
Thats why I have another one today I am rebuilding.

Old 03-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

candaleracer I dont know where it ws broke..I just happen to see it back there with no motor...im good friends with one of the mechanics and thats what he told me had happen to it...sorry I cant help

Old 03-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default would a piped Raptor beat a stock Quadzilla?

NO!!!I have ridden a raptor and raced one with my quadzilla and i won.My quadzilla is bad,it even beat a artic cat sled 440 jag.in snow on the road up a hill.my quadzilla flew past it by 10 and strill going but i had to slow down since i was going home .lol it said on the sled spedo we were going 90mph.quadzilla

Quick Reply: would a piped Raptor beat a stock Quadzilla?