Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

best modds to the 2002 grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
I was wondering what one might do to modify there grizzly? i have installed new tires, and what a differance! i dont want to put alot of money into making it a monster, but for 3 or 4 hunderd dollars, what might i do to liven it up a little more? i really dont want to tear apart an engine to beef it up, but more like bolt on muffler or air filter, or even a way to keep it dry in deep water? any and all replys are welcome. and thanks!!!

my pictures

Old 03-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

Put an HMF exhaust on it and a K&N power up kit that will boost your power.. Go to highlifter.com and you can buy an exaust and a power up kit i think the pipe is 189.00 and the power up kit is 125.00..

Old 03-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

1. The best mod is to stop the gas from boiling so the thing doesn't explode in our face when we are riding.

2. The next best mod is to fix the left side CV joint so that it doesn't fall out while riding, lock up the front wheels and send you and your family flying through the air *** backwards with your legs kicking freely!

3. The next mod would be to stop the valves from sounding like 1946 pougeaut or a severly beaten 1986 subaru legacy!

4. The next best mod you can do is make new floorboards out of some styrofoam because it has more tesile strength.

5. The next mod is for all grizzly owners to get together and do something about this crap! I've heard of first year model problems but this is nuts!

Adam

Old 03-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

That's unfortunate philmacrackin, haven't had one of the problems you've stated above. I would like to make mine a bit quieter; any mods for that?

Old 03-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

mich660griz.....where did you get those rims & tires? That looks very nice. Did you notice any loss in power? Are those Titan's? What rims exactly? Any particular off-set? Thanks..sweet bike.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

The best and cheapest mod you can do to the stock muffler is this -

Take the spark arrestor/back plate off of the muffler. Buy a 1/2" drill that is about 12-15" long, and drill 15-20 holes in the baffle you see with the back plate removed. Then remove the spark arrestor screen and cut off the stock exit pipe on both sides of the rear plate. Then drill out the remaining hole to 1 1/2", and place in a 1 1/2" tube with a bend in it similar to stock. Weld it in place, and put the spark arrestor screen back over it. Put the full back plate back on the muffler and start it up. You will get a huge boost in power, and a nice deep rumble at idle......with a small increase in loudness.

I have pictures of this on my website, those will give you a better idea of what all this accomplishes.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

2002 grizzly 660 does this muffler modification enable your grizz to run cooler? What made you decide to make this modification?

Old 03-19-2002, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Mich660~

I just put the K&N filter in, modified the airbox, dynojetkit, HMF exhaust. WOW! what a difference. For a jumping sunofagun like you, I think you'd like it. One thing, though, if you like quiet quads....don't do it. My Grizzly sounds like a Harley now. <LOL>

SilverBear

Old 03-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

~Silverbear~

OMG! Your Grizz is not just a good looking ride, its an inspiration! If you dont mind, I would like to know about your HMF Exhaust(did you just get the silencer or the whole system?-how much louder is it than stock?-was installation easy?). Also, what about the K&N? Are you at all worried about mud or water gettin through it? What did you do to modify the airbox?
And finally, the dynojet kit(did you install it yourself-if so, how hard was it to install?) And of course, for all of these-how much did they improve your performance,(bottom end and/or low end). Thanks.

Scott

Old 03-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Silverbear i'm asking this for a friend of mine.Does the reverse override work for the locking system on the front end of the Grizz.Does anyone now of a way to bypass it????

Quick Reply: best modds to the 2002 grizzly?