Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ITP 589 vs.Dirt Devil XT's for 660?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sick of getting stuck with these sucky stockers for my 660, they've got to go. I've narrowed it down to these choices, wich one should i get?
I do low to moderate mudding but want the best one. I ride about 2 miles of paved road to get to all my riding spots so i don't want something that will run down quick. that is my biggest concern.
I also don't want a tire that will slow me down too much either. I decided to get a 26" tire size due to those factors.
I really like how the 589 m/s look on the grizz. I also like the acceptionaly aggressive tread on them to. I plan on doing some snow plowing when we see winter again.
I like these tires becasue they are in the $65 range, good for me. please help, i want to get them soon.

Old 05-10-2002, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

We have a similiar situation except I have a Prairie 650. I have narrowed my choice of tires between 589M/S and Gators. Here is my rational based on following these forums. I have not ridden either tire. Both tires will solve your/our riding issues.

589's -- these look great on any ATV. I like the looks of these the best. They are excellent mud tires and very good trail riders. They cost a little more and are on the heavier end of the all-purpose tires.

Gators -- darn close to the 589's in the mud and outstanding trail riders. These tires are also 16-20 lbs lighter for a set of four. You can get them at Rockymountain ATV for $50-$70 per tire depending on size. These in my opinion are the best value for the money.

Both will last a long time. Someone told me today that they have 3,000 miles on their Gators. Now that is good tread life.

I do not think you could go wrong with either of these two tires. Hope this helps. I think with the weight savings of the Gators I am going to go with 27". I do not like the look as well as the 589 M/S but they are a great value for the money.

Daryn

Old 05-10-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

i have all titan 589 mt on my grizzly. there 26/09/12 front and 26/12/12 rear. i love these tires for mudding, and ability to tear up snow when plowing. i dont like these tires on cement though. they have reduced my power just a little, but more than made up for it in the mud!!! i got the itp alunimum rims on mine, and they come factory spaced, so i actually gained stability with them. you can feel the lugs till about 5 to 10 mph, then they smooth right out. for all the mudding i do, and the rough trails, i would recomment them highly. but for cement or hard pack smoother trails, i would look elsewhere. i have numerous pics of them being installed on my quad, and alot of before and after. i was surprised to find i gained 2 1/2 inchs ground clarance with the 26 in tires! check out the pics and you can see what they would look like installed.

my pictures

Old 05-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

thats another thing, what is the big diffrence between thew titan 589 and the itp 589? I saw that they said they have "anti-suction" bars. (whatever that means) i think the m/s' look better than the m/t's. since they both cost the same, i would like to know what the diffrence is.

Mitch660grizz,
how much would you say they slow you down (mph wise).

Old 05-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Michrider for the update on the MT's.

LSnake,

The difference is this: M/T's have that extra tread on the tire. They also weigh slightly more than the M/S and have a rim guard. The rim guard is nice. But others have said that the M/S is very durable as it is.

Me personally, I like the looks of the M/S better and they rate very good in mud, snow, and hardpack. And as mentioned above, they are lighter than the M/T. In fact, I like the looks of the M/S better than any tire out there. But I may be going with the Gators as they are very comparable in performance. But they are an average of 16-20 lbs. ligher per set of four tires, and they cost about $15 less per tire.

Good luck!

Daryn

Old 05-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Another quick note,

I have not read about anyone being unhappy with the 589 M/S's and they look great on the Grizzly. And the reports are that they last a long time.

Daryn