Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Flywheel Lightening

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone lightened the flywheel of their Banshee or Blaster?

I am about to have my Son's Blaster flywheel lightened, followed soon by my own Banshee. I am curious about how much should be taken off, and what would be considered the absolute max taken off.

Thanks.

Rog[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2002, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Dosen't look like anyone knows? My only concern would be reliability issues?

Old 05-15-2002, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

I concur with the reliability issues. A local guy, who will be doing my Son's Blaster, has performed this flywheel lightening on Banshees in the past.

I know there is a limit on the max he will take off, but I don't know that number, off-hand.

What I'd rather do, but can't at this point, due to resources, is put a PVL ignition on the Blaster, and run no flywheel. For the flattrack/TT racing my Son will be doing, this would work great. $400 bones or so the the PVL is a bit much; perhaps later.

Regards,

Rog

Old 05-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know what the magic number is, but my flywheel has been lightened. I bought it that way so i cant say how much of an increase it make. I sure can say that after a fresh 60 over rebuilt this little thing rips. I would try to do a search and you dont find anything then trying call Trenga Racing or some other shop. Trenga is all about blasters and that would be my first call.

Old 05-16-2002, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of Trenga Racing. I bought a carb adaptor from them for the Blaster. Looks neat, but was over-priced, not to mention that the guy I talked to on the phone was a pain in the neck to deal with, to say the least.

However, I prefer to keep my business local when possible. Plus there are a couple of places in town that do extremely good work, are very knowledgeable, and trustworthy.

Haven't performed a search yet to see what might turn up on this topic, so I guess that's next.

Regards,

Rog

Old 05-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

The amount of weight reduced from the flywheel greatly depends on your riding style. Removing weight will reduce torque since you are reducing the amount of spinning mass. The engine will rev considerable faster though. Reliability shouldn't be a problem, and might be better since there will be less of a load on bearings. Even with the PVL ignition you talked about, you must have a flywheel. It might be an internal rotor, but you need some sort of spinning mass, otherwise, you won't even be able to start it.

Old 05-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I had the flywheel lightened on my banshee by John Stallworth at Power Playground in Kansas. At first it was a little different to ride. When I'd come hauling into a turn and jab the brakes godd the motor would stay running with minimal effort, but now it will tend to stall if I don't grab the clutch a bit. Nice thing about revving quicker though, coming out of the turns it powers out of the turns and tight stuff better than before. If you need a little extra coming off of the top of something gas it and you have it. It works well with the other mods I have done. As for how much to take off. John took the thickness of the counterweight and went that much below the bottom of the weight. Hope that helps.

Old 05-16-2002, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the responses.

Sandtrax in Tulsa, OK will be taking care of the flywheel for me.

Regards,

Rog