Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptors now the slowest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1986- We did run the cannon vs stock raptor last week. Cannon got the jump in 1st,2nd. Raptor pulled back even in 3rd, and was 2 lengths ahead thru 4th and most of 5th. We ran many times. It was a demo cannon, we ran it harder than most would run there own quads. powershifting etc. I thought the raptor was hard to find nuetral, try a cannon! The Z400 was easy to find nuetral on. The cannon has a hard time pulling 5 unless you run deep into 4th before you shift. The cannon ran as well as i expected it to.

The biggest dissapointment i had with the cannon was the fuel injection. I was expecting better,smoother response. I guess that my raptors carbs are perfectly tuned.

If that same cannon is at Mossier valley this wensday, i am going to see if they will let me run it one pratice session.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

14min - When you get a feel for the quad and know when to shift, a stock Raptor won't out run it. If your shifting early or nailing the limiter in almost every gear, the stock Raptor will out run it. If that wasn't the case, that Dale was ragged the fock out. I've pulled on stock and piped Raptors and I've pulled away from other quads that stock Raptors wouldn't have a chance in hell of out running. Maybe it's just me or I just got some special C-dale that is unusually quick.

Old 05-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

What does the title mean "NOW the slowest"? I always thought they WERE the slowest. HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!!! And the first person that responds by saying "Line your Zilla up with the 770 Raptor in dirtwheels" or anything of that nature is definately the biggest Yammie b*tch ever.......

Old 05-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

The reason the CD's neutral is hard to find is because of the 10 plate clutch - heavy duty without heavy spring pressure, but the additional friction slightly loads the transmission which makes neutral a bit tricky to find when it's running.

In my experience I've found that the stock CD is more comparable to a piped and jetted Raptor acceleration wise.

As you probably know, a restrictive exhaust really kills a high performance engine with big cams. This is why the CD's benefit so much from an exhaust system. This may also be some of the smoothness you thought was missing. From the factory the CD is equipped with a pipe that is just like the one on a 400EX or Raptor.

What I've found when racing mine is, that if you don't get the shift points right, you will get beat. The stock CD has a little dip in the power around 8~9K RPM that makes it feel like you should shift - if you let it pull thru this the power comes back on stronger than ever. Sounds like you may have let it pull thru the gears though - maybe going a little too far?

Took me several runs to get the shifting figured out, after that I was beating even several of the piped Banshees & consistanly pulled all the stock and many piped Raptors. You got to shift 2, 3, and 4 pretty quickly (but at the same time being sure to let it rev out & not short shift) then really let it spin the R's before going into 5th (big jump).

Really FI does nothing for peak HP - it's more of a response/rideability/tunability thing - if you have carbs dialed in well, (as far as pure acceleration goes) they will compete with even the best FI systems. FI really shines at part throttle and transitions.

Old 05-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

My only experience with all of the sport machines came yesterday. Here are my observations:

If reliability wasn't an issue and I wanted the fastest thing out there I would buy the Dale.

From the racing that I saw, which was a course that included jumping, barrels, mud, tires, and climbing the Cannondale performed the best. Of course this might have a lot to do with the riders but the Raptor (about 6), 400EX (seemed like a million), and the DS650 (just me) seemed to have to work a lot harder at everything except the mud area. I think they are all great machines but it seems like the 400ex owners have a real complex with being the slowest. My DS did a lot better in the barrels than I thought it would. I think this has a lot to do with it's width (stable) and the crappy stock tires that slide easy. About every other quad had aftermartket tires so they probably had too much grip around the barrels.

I'm just happy that when I bought my DS I had so many choices. For about 10 years all the market had was the Banshee, which didn't do too bad themselves yesterday either. Hopefully in a few years we'll add KTM and a few others to fight about.

Old 05-20-2002, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Fastrnu, yeah your Pudzuki that has been out for 26 years and I might add has to be rebuilt every week is a fast machine. Now listen here B*tch, noone was even putting down your Crudzilla. In fact the Quadzilla I always thought was one bad *****. Then it takes one guy to start slammin my
ride to make me hate the whole bunch. In fact I'm tired of this "My Dad can beat your Dad" b*tch mentality. Yeah for an obsolite machine that had it's hayday 15 years ago it's good for going in a straight line. I do think thats about it. Also yes if you do make to Nebraska PLEASE let me know. I would love to race you, however there is a few things about Raptors not everyone knows.
Hope to see you soon.

Old 05-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

got my 2002 Limited Edition Raptor a week ago and been raining and cold only have 1 hour on it but trying... when did you do your first oil change ????

Old 05-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

buzz, when did the C-Dales become unreliable(the 2002's anyway)

Why do people come into threads and post info that isn't even related to the topic?

Old 05-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

also what are the vavle clearance on the raptor 660r 2002

Old 05-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

sorry new at this now i understand sorry guys

Quick Reply: Raptors now the slowest?