Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptors now the slowest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18 wheeler? Are you a truck driver or sumthin? Cause if you are...........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

Wait a minute!!
If I remember correct, By the year 97 or 98 , in all the magazines (ATV SPort and Dirtwheels mag) were saying in their Banshee Tests that it put 39-40 Hp to the rear wheels.
BUT When the Honda 400EX and AGAIN when the Raptor came out, they began to say that the banshee couldnt handled with them because it only produces 30-35 Hp.
Now That is what I call CRAP!!!!
When the Raptor came out , they said that 48 HP wauld be a safe bet, but 2 years after Its birth, they say it puts 38 HP. (dirtwheels raptor pipes test)

What I want to say is that the change all the HP numbers according to their own economics needs at that time.

If Honda would have a 750 EX in the way. Well then they will say that the banshee produces 30 HP, the raptor 35 Hp and the 400EX 25 HP.
They will also say that the banshee is not stable at speed and that the raptor is not suitable for desert like speeds.

I mean , the new quads will always be better than the old ones. (it is not important if they are really better or not, If they sell them, then , they are better!)

Finishing, the banshee will always be the best quad arownd, But its an old one !!!!

Old 05-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

DW always contradicts what they say. I also don't understand, in the same issue(July '01), they say the Raptor is the narrowest, but when looking at the specs they list the Banshee as 43.3" and the Raptor as 45.2".

Old 05-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

You couldn't have said it any better. When they rode the Dale for the first time ever, they said it was tippy, but in the shootout, it was a decent slider. Yes, conditions do make a difference but from my experience, it's a little easier to slide in mud (which is what the conditions were on their very first ride). I'm willing to bet Ltracerx will gladly have something to say about your reply too. He's been saying the same thing (except for talkin about top speed instead of HP) since as long as I can remember. I like DW for the "Over the Bars" pics, Readers rides, "Hot setups", "Parting shots", and pretty much any other pics. I don't really pay attention to the magazines remarks but I do read them. I like anything that supports quads but their comparisons and tests are about retarted... unless ofcourse, they have something good to say about Cannondales... they always seem to be right when compliment the Dales [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Had to Edit... LOL, I was replying to Sparky and I guess Ltracerx was replying at the same time... LOL. I told you Ltracer would have something to say about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Too funny! I just dislike DW, but I have to be reading something and I can't seem to find any other mags. Too bad I didnt have "connections" because I always got A's in all my writing classes. Oh, is it a good or bad thing that I've been pointing out all the mistakes DumbWheels makes?

Old 05-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

In the pipe shootout the raptor produces 35 horsepower stock....and the winning pipe package is CT sonic making 48 horsepower!!!...wow thats a lot of improvement!!!
I dont see how a dyno test could change over time...unless they dyno and blatently lie about the results.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

There is no way on God's green Earth that a pipe and rejet alone will give you an additional 13 horses.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

I remember a bunch of Controversy over that. The runs were done at CT's shop so everyone thinks its BS(not that far fetched when you look at the source). Or at least thats what I remember from all the mumbo jumbo I read.

Old 05-23-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

That 13 hp gain was a peak gain, not at every rpm in the test. I can say from experience that Raptors gain alot from the pipe/airbox/jetting mods. I thought my machine was fast until I raced a Raptor with the previously mentioned goodies, and it wasn't even close! Yamaha left alot in the tuning department to be discovered by their customers. It's kind of like the exact opposite of the Cannondales which are pretty hot from the factory, but have relatively little potential beyond that.

Old 05-23-2002, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

The CT pipe gain was a sham, I bought that pipe system. I paid a ton of dough for the damn thing.
I swapped it over from my Alien pipe ON A DYNO! I lost 4Hp and 6Lbs of torque. All this was done on a Dyno saw it with my own eyeballs. I was so friggin pissed, I did'nt know what to do. So I put the DMC Alien back on and called it a learning expierience. CT sucks.

Quick Reply: Raptors now the slowest?