Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster eats spark plugs (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blaster eats spark plugs (please help)

Could it be there is a problem with the injection pump, allowing excess oil to gravity feed past it into the carb, over oiling and fouling the plug? You mention it happens with a full tank of oil, and gets better when down to a half or less.There would be more pressure on the pump from a full tank,pushing oil past seals or pump parts,possibly getting a rebuild kit for the pump would seal it up, or maybe it has a casting flaw that allows the oil to get by, maybe the dealer would back you up, since it is a newer quad. I know people still running the oil injector on early 90's Blasters with no problems ever, so a new one with problems must have a good reason. A lot of guys will tell you to block it off and premix, but for trail riding, it is so much easier to just put gas in and go, without worrying about getting the mix right. Yes, a premix gives you that extra piece of mind, but injector failure is very rare, usually blamed for forgetting to fill the tank, not pump failure. I had an 87 LT80 that I sold that is still running the injector, been through 4 owners, and still is going strong.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I kinda have thought the same thing about something being wrong with the pump. (I kinda believe thats why I got it at such a good price) I can't seem to remember that it fouls plugs when full until AFTER I fill the tank. (I geuss thats me just getting older, every day is a new day full of new people!!) I've only tried NGK plugs since we bought it, and once they foul, thier dead. I geuss I'll try the block off kit. (I just wanted to keep it stock for as long as possible) Thanks for the reply's!!

Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Blaster2005
Sounds to me that both of you are riding stock Blasters? The stock oil injection system tends to over oil and causes a rich fuel mixture and if you ride them like a 4 stroke utility ATV, you will foul plugs!!! Two strokes need to be opened up or they load up!!! Don't be afraid to give it some throttle guys! After warming the engine up first, of course. I have owned many Blasters and currently own a 2005. I have the original plug in it. About 30 hours and counting on it. The best advice I can give any Blaster owner is to do a proper oil injection block off and premix your fuel 32 to1. This will save you from a premature engine seizure!!! Not to mention, it will stop the plug fouling! Good luck guys.
As a retired Auto Tech teacher and new ATVSI instructor, I thought that this was very good advice! I have seen many 2 stroke quads (and dirtbikes) in the wrecking yards. Fouling plugs by being too rich on the mixture didn't get them there, siezure of the rings (too lean a mix) or siezure of the bearings (no oil) are the two main killers of these type of engines. The other two are too many RPMs and worn out clutches. All of the above come under the heading of "operator error".

Most people tend to blame the plug. This is rarely the case, since the plug mearly allows a high-tension spark to jump an air gap (Got Coil?). When new and the airgap is adjusted correctly, it is a simple trouble-free device. We are assuming that the application is also correct. When things wear, its time to clean them, adjust them or replace them. Oil fouling is not the plug's fault, neither is inadequate spark (in most cases).

Old 05-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

"Most people tend to blame the plug. This is rarely the case, since the plug mearly allows a high-tension spark to jump an air gap (Got Coil?). When new and the airgap is adjusted correctly, it is a simple trouble-free device. We are assuming that the application is also correct. When things wear, its time to clean them, adjust them or replace them. Oil fouling is not the plug's fault, neither is inadequate spark (in most cases)."

That brings up a good question. Why will the plug not fire (after being throughly cleand) after it has been fouled from to much oil? To check and make sure I was getting fire to the plug, I took an old plug laying on my bench and stuck in the spark plug boot to see. This "old" plug was from a small block Chevy, probably from the early 80's, That was pulled from a motor that covered it up with soot, carbon and oil. I cleaned this "old" plug (the same way as I cleaned the others) and it fired. (shame it was not the right thread and length) Now before I get questioned, I am old enough to have used spark plug cleaners like that was found in gas stations of old. After cleaning, the plug was regapped then tried. The problem is that even a new plug will foul before the engine can even warm up. Then the NGK plugs seem to be finished. (They don't fire anymore) This is a major pain!! I geuss the best way of fixing it is with the block off kit. In the past, we've had to have at least 3 plugs ready to go after filling the tank with oil. 1 to get it warmed up, 2 tor ride for about and hour. (hard riding) and the 3rd will last until I ferget and fill the dang tank up again.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

The spark plug is just an insulated electrode and a grounding electrode. The insulator (ceramic) has different lengths to regulate heat dissipating properties (hot or cold #s). If the ceramic is cracked or oil soaked, the spark will take the easiest route to ground (not across the gap). Also, if the insulated electrode suffers internal damage (vibration), it can be broken as well.

Sometimes, when oil soaked, there will be residue even after cleaning. Ceramics are porous and don't always shut out the contamination. I've had good and bad experiences with many brands of plugs. You get a bad one every now-and-then.

I thought that the block-off kit was a great idea to fix a bad metering problem. When the tank is full, there seems to be a rich condition. That can be due to increased flow from the weight of the oil in the reservior. As it empties, the flow slows down with the decreased weight of the oil above it. Being in a Blaster, I'm assuming its a somewhat primitive mechanical-based delivery system (just like my old Kawasaki H1-500). Add to that the environment its operating in and you have metering that isn't consistant.

On the subject of brand names...

NGK = Nippondenso
AC = Champion (up until 1976). AC stands for Albert Champion.
Autolite = Fram
Bosch is just expensive
and Split Fire is just weird.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I hadn't thought about the ceramic part soaking up oil. That makes sence. Its just agrevating. The last 2 stroke we had (an LT80) ran good until we started supin it up. Then it got to be something wrong evertime we rode it. I was just hoping to leave this blaster stock for as long as possible. Now it looks like I'll be getting the block off kit for it. While I'm at it, I might get the tors kit and get rid of that to. (you know, save on freight while I'm at it) Or on second thought, maybe just a bigger carb. Shoot if I go that far, I HAVE to get a pipe for it. While I have the carb off I might as well mess with the reeds. Shoot!! Now do you guys see what you've made me go and do!!!???

Thanks again for the reply's!!!

Old 05-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

the reeds could be worn out

Old 05-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: asfasasu3
I hadn't thought about the ceramic part soaking up oil. That makes sence. Its just agrevating. The last 2 stroke we had (an LT80) ran good until we started supin it up. Then it got to be something wrong evertime we rode it. I was just hoping to leave this blaster stock for as long as possible. Now it looks like I'll be getting the block off kit for it. While I'm at it, I might get the tors kit and get rid of that to. (you know, save on freight while I'm at it) Or on second thought, maybe just a bigger carb. Shoot if I go that far, I HAVE to get a pipe for it. While I have the carb off I might as well mess with the reeds. Shoot!! Now do you guys see what you've made me go and do!!!?? Thanks again for the reply's!!!
LOL, slow down a little!