Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster eats spark plugs (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a it brandnew and this is the second year i have had my blaster and i have put in 1 used spark plug and 3 brand new spark plugs. does anyone know what the problem is? and no i have not done anything to it except cleaned the airfilter and the muffler and changed the oil once. i have not done anything else.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:46 AM
The Facility

First of all make sure you run nothing but NGK plugs. Champions and Auto-Lites just don't work in an ATV or Motorcycle.

Did you change your injection oil or did you switch to pre-mix and have the ratio mixed too rich??

Seems odd that this would start happening out of nowhere. How does it run??

Old 05-19-2002, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider

I am assuming you mean it is fouling plugs?
What is your elevation?
Did it just start doing this, or has it fouled plugs all along?
How is the compression?

I think we need some more info to go off of if you really want to get help.

Old 05-19-2002, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

its has just started fouling plugs. and i now use polaris 2 stroke oil as injection oil because we have 2 polaris's so i just use the same oil. it runs great. the compression seems to be the same. i use NGK plugs so thats good.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default blaster eats spark plugs (please help)

I know this is an old thread, but I am in the same situation. My sons 03' Blaster has gone through 4 plugs since X-mas. It will be fine with a new plug until I put more oil in the injection tank. Then like clock work, it will foul plugs until it has run long enough to lower the oil about half way, and seems fine after that. We are using Klotz R50 in it now. Do you think its to "thin" of an oil and thats causing our problem? Please help?!!

Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds to me that both of you are riding stock Blasters? The stock oil injection system tends to over oil and causes a rich fuel mixture and if you ride them like a 4 stroke utility ATV, you will foul plugs!!! Two strokes need to be opened up or they load up!!! Don't be afraid to give it some throttle guys! After warming the engine up first, of course. I have owned many Blasters and currently own a 2005. I have the original plug in it. About 30 hours and counting on it. The best advice I can give any Blaster owner is to do a proper oil injection block off and premix your fuel 32 to1. This will save you from a premature engine seizure!!! Not to mention, it will stop the plug fouling! Good luck guys.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Range Rover

Dont put it around you've got to open that thing up.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, our Blaster is stock. (except for tires and wheel spacers) I promise you guys that we don't "putt" around. I have seen it foul a brand new plug while running almost wide open down our driveway. (the motor was already warm, put new plug in and took off down our driveway and didn;t get to the end before the plug was fouled again) It only seems to foul plugs after we put oil in the tank. I believe that its putting to much oil in myself, but cant figure out why it only does it after filling up.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
First of all make sure you run nothing but NGK plugs. Champions and Auto-Lites just don't work in an ATV or Motorcycle.
I dont even know if KNOWSALOT is still here but I am wondering why he would say not to run autolites in a motorcycle. I have been running Autolite 4063's(BR8 equivelant) in all of my 2 strokes for about 15 years and have never fouled one yet. Or had any problems what so ever, except for all the money I have saved. What have you heard about them? Just curious.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

first off... its a 2 stroke! haha jk couldn't resist.

anyways.. ur prolly running too rich.. so i would check out ur jetting..

NGK Plugs are known as "No Good Kind" plugs around here.

Quick Reply: blaster eats spark plugs (please help)