Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor: Yoshi Competition FS TEC pipe, K&N, and Proflow

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to help my buddy install a Yoshi Competition FS TEC (Full System, since it has head pipe and silencer, I'm assuming, and Tuneable End Cap), K&N filter/jet kit, and Pro-Flow intake. My question is in the jetting. We are about 950' above sea level. Any recommendations on where to start? I know the jet kit has their recommended jets, but I was wondering what you guys may found with this set up, or something similar.

If possible, could someone tell me the proper clearances for the valves? He doesn't have a manual yet, it's on order, but we'll prob. do this b4 it comes in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

It would help to know what kind of quad your buddy has.

If it's a raptor the valve clearances are
Intake~0.10~0.15mm (0.0039~0.0059 Inch)
Exhaust~ 0.15~0.20mm (0.0059~0.0079 inch)

I can't help on the jetting as I use Dynojets.

Old 07-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

It says Raptor at the top - MOOSE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

What are you doing with the air box in terms of modifications? Are you going to be running with no lid, modified lid, etc? This will determine the proper jetting.

Moose, I thought the K&N kit and Dynojets were the same?

Old 07-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Oringinally, I installed the same system without the K&N kit and performed the air box lid mods as per Yosh and jetted the same (150/155). A couple weeks ago I got my stage 2 kit, I installed the dyno jet needles, rejetted per the altitude instructions (146/148) and turned the air screws out 3 turns. I'm around 2300 ft above sea level. I haven't had any problems, the instructions for the dyno jet kit were good for me, no lean conditions to report and the Raptor pulls hard.

Hope this helps

Old 07-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

THEMOOSE,
Yes, It's '02 Raptor. Sorry, I prob. should have included that in the body of my post and not just the title. Thanks for the valve clearances!

sandjunkie,
Well after talking to him prob. want to do 3 holes in the air box lid. I thought with that we would put 3 1" Uni vents in there. Do you guys recommend running w/o air box lid at all? Is there a big gain from modded lid to no lid? We do get into some water, though. I know he'll have to be much more careful after we do this, however.

I, too, thought the K&N kit used Dyno Jet jets.

Is the Pro Flow going to alter what Dyno Jet recommends? I'm not sure how much more flow it provides. I'm kinda under the impression it's pretty much just an improvement on how the filter attaches to provide a better seal.

YoshRaptor,
You actually had to jet down when you went to stage 2? Or is that Yamaha jets comapared to Dyno Jets? Sounds like the Dyno Jet recommendations should be damn close then, huh? I figure since we are at a lower elevation, we'll prob. have to go a little richer than you. We'll go off Dyno Jet's recommendation and see how it runs.

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 07-02-2002, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

For what it's worth - I called Dynojet and they recommend no mods to the air box except for cutting out the flap (per their instructions). They said it would not run properly without the lid, using their jet-kit and adjustments. Maybe jetting and adjusting differently with a modded box works but dynojet reccommended against it !?

Just passing on what the tech guy told me over the phone.

Old 07-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Back to the top! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yes stebob,
I did jet down. As previously written, I jetted up with the stock needles. Yosh pipe installation called for air box mods, air screw turned 1 1/5 out I think and 150/155. When you put the new needles against the stock ones you will see they are narrower allowing more fuel to pass by. I was thinking the jets would be too small too, so I called my cousin (who's done this more times than I ever will) and he explained it to me. I went with the manufacturers recomendation and it hasn't been a problem.
good luck

Old 07-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

OK I'm going to have to start paying more attention when reading posts!!
Yes the Dynojets & K&N are the same (I saw K&N filter & missed the jets completely).

I'm at 675 ft & run with the DJ 146~148 Needles on 4th groove & air corrections 3 turns out.
I have the full Sparks X6, Pro flo with K&N & 5~1" univents in the lid & it works great. The only problem I have is sputtering (bogging?)when running at a slow speed (just above idle to 1/8th throttle) I may need to bump up my idle jets.

I dynoed my Raptor & all the pulls were very smooth with a linear curve except for the pull without the air box lid. There was a 1 hp gain but the curve looked like a roller coaster!! That was from turbulance in the air box.
If you want to run without a lid I'd suggest getting an aftermarket airbox (I'm waiting for the Sparks air box to be released) & use a water reststant outerwears.

Quick Reply: Raptor: Yoshi Competition FS TEC pipe, K&N, and Proflow