Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Toomey T3s on Banshee, opinions, comparison to T5s

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a set of nice Toomey T3s, and wanted to get some opinions on their performance. My engine will be bored about .050, milled head, these pipes, K&N filter and boost bottle.

I am just curious how this combo. will run compared to the same setup but with T5s instead of the T3s, and also any ideas on how loud these are in comparison to the T5s?

Thanks for any input,
Dean

Old 08-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

This is all I know about the T3/T5 debate. I have a friend that races TT with me. He had a set of T3's until this year. He sold the T3 on ebay, and ordered a set of T5's. He has been racing on the T5's all year. Last week I bought a set of T3's, and he has been begging me to sell them to him. He says he likes them better. The 3's have a lot more topend and the 5's are more for midrange. He feels the 3s are faster, but with the 5s the bike will pull the front tires on the straights. This is on a full ported race engine. Stock ports seem to work better with a midrage pipe though. According to the guys I have talked to that have used the 3s, 4s, and 5s, most like the T4s the best, especially for drag. The T3's don't fit all that great, and you will need to grind off the pipe tabs on the lower frame. Also, many people turn the upper a-arm bolt around for clearance. You might not have this problem with the J-arm.

They all use the same silencer, so the sound should be the same.

My friend would still be interested in a set, so if you want to sell them, let me know.

Old 08-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

I haven't actually even installed them yet, and would like to avoid cutting tabs off of my frame if at all possible.... can you shoot me his email so I can see how interested he is? My goal was to get a set of T5s, and if they are better for mid-range then maybe those would be better for my setup.

You can email me at dean@vdubn.com

Does he still have his T5s? I might want to work out a deal with him.

Thanks,
Dean

Old 08-22-2002, 05:35 PM
Range Rover

I have had T5's FMF fattys, and now a set of cut T3's. I actually like the cut T3's over any of the other pipes I have owned or tried. What type of riding do you do? I think with almost any aftermarket pipe you will have to trim off the lower tabs. I would at least try the T3's before you decide to sell them. You just may like them.

Mp350

Old 08-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

Mostly dune riding, maybe a small bit of drag racing, but more just running up and down the dunes, screaming around the side, etc.

To be honest, since my head is milled, that will improve the bottom end, so running with a pipe that helps the mid to top probably wouldn't be all that bad.

I'll take a look at the factory mounts that you guys were talking about, and see what is involved in getting them removed.

Any other opinions on how the T3s compare to the T5s?

Thanks,
Dean

Old 08-23-2002, 07:33 AM
Range Rover

vdubn:
Dune riding requires more RPM since the soft sand robs hp. I'd give them a try, since I think you will be supprised. The T3's may have a little less low end than the T5's, but that can be compensated for w/ your added compression and some timing advance.

You can also advance your timing +4 deg and that too will also greatly help low end and throttle response. Just make sure you check your jetting after you advance your timing. That can be achieved by modifying your stock stator plate or by getting a advanced timing key. One will cost you nothing but time and the other under 20.00 if I remember correctly.
Good luck

Mp350

Old 08-23-2002, 10:49 AM
Range Rover

Excellent! That sounds like a good combination.

As far as the lower tabs go, I see a tab on each side with a small rubber snubber, is this what you guys are referring to?

Thanks,
Dean

Old 08-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have his e-mail, but if I see him this weekend, I will see if he is interested and PM you. I am sure he will want to keep the T5s though.

Yeah, those are the tabs. FMF, PC, T5 won't require the cutting of the tabs, and the T3s will clear, but its easier to install the pipes with the tabs removed.

370: I have heard of cutting 2 inches from the body of the T3s. This has been done to a lot of them. How much low, mid do you lose?

Old 08-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

There are a set of cut T3s on Ebay right now, here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1853537528

I talked to the guy through email, seems like a nice guy. He mentioned that you do lose a bit on the bottom, but he felt that it really made up for it in the mid and top end. He also mentioned that he was using them on a bored and stroked 510cc engine (holy crap!).

For what its worth,
Dean

Old 08-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

vdubn:
The T3's can be a real pain to install... and by removing those tabs it will be easier.. with 2" cut from the belly they are even harder to get on.

Alky:
I also thought the same thing, that I would lose alot of low/mid. With my current porting, and overall engine set up I have TONS of grunt and power all over. With a +6 swingarm and 22x11x8 10 paddle haulers I have a hard time keeping the front end down. My motor is set up for methanol but I have yet to try it.. That will only make it worse. To date the cut T3's are my favorite pipes.

Mp350