Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee or 250r

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should u get a 250r or a Banshee im low on cash at the moment so which could i find that would be cheaper???

Old 08-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

I think you could definitely find a banshee alot cheaper since there are sooo many more of em, and they still make em.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Depends on what i came across. But I'd rather have a very nice 250R that was well taken care of and had a great motor. Then again, if I ever bought used, I'd be lookin for that very meticulously taken care of quad anyways.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

I'd stay away from old banshee's, you will likely find a ton of problems with them. Most folks just rig it up to run and get rid of em. I'd stay away from that because you'll be puttin a lot more into it than you think. My buddy buys every single banshee around here thats considered a "bargain" but in the end he winds up putting cranks, top ends, heads, and gears in them a lot of times.

Old 08-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the NEWEST 250R you're going to find is going to be at least 13 years old. With Banshees you don't have that problem. 250Rs seem to command a premium price so if you are on a budget you can likely make a better deal on the Banshee.

I'd stay away from old 250Rs, you will likely find a ton of problems with them. Most folks just rig it up to run and get rid of em. I'd stay away from that because you'll be puttin a lot more into it than you think.

Old 08-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I call BS on staying away from either. If you inspect any atv before you buy it, you will determine if it has been cared for or not. I have seen Banshee's and all other makes that are one or two years old and beat to crap, not maintained, never had oil changed, toasted topends or crank bearings, etc. I say, carefully inspect any prospective machine you are looking at. Ask owner to remove seat, plastic, airfilter, etc to inspect the frame and other components. Stand it on its rear and really check it out good. Take someone with you to watch you ride it and check for bent axles, wheels, etc. Generally speaking, an older machine will show more wear, but if it was taken care of, it can still be a fine reliable ride. I have two to prove it.

Old 08-26-2002, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

MOST IMPORTANTLY....What type of riding will you be doing?

-Josh

Old 08-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Good call.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

<< I call BS on staying away from either....... >>

I was being a little sarcastic when I duplicated the previous post with 250R replacing Banshee. My point was that is silly to generalize that way. It seemed clever to me but I must be the only one who got my point.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:12 AM
Range Rover

<<

<< I call BS on staying away from either....... >>

I was being a little sarcastic when I duplicated the previous post with 250R replacing Banshee. My point was that is silly to generalize that way. It seemed clever to me but I must be the only one who got my point.
>>

Well, its case and point really. Around here, there's not a whole lot of banshee's or 250r's that havent been trashed once or twice. Most are in poor condition and motor is on its way out. My buddy scours everyday for them, and I always tag along to see if maybe i'll pick it up instead. Most are beat to heck and most owners dont even know what was done to it because they just shove it in the shop and care less.

Anyways, inspect the bike before you buy, if you find a nice one, either is a great bike. I myself like the banshee better, but thats me.

Quick Reply: banshee or 250r