Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

S#!T EATER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my worst spill happened about 2 months ago, some friends and i where riding at a gravel pit(we had the dirtbikes) we tried to see who could climb the highest on this one sand hill(approx 50 feet high), practically straight up halfway to the top. my friends went first, they bogged about 1/2. after noticing the rear tire looses traction (and being smart as i am) i decided to tackle it in a cat walk, it had actually worked, i had reached the top of the hill, i was screaming in 1st gear, until i noticed i was getten oftly close to the straight fall off of the other side, in a somewhat panic, i pulled back hard on my handlebars(dont know exactly why i did) pulled the clutch, and next thing i knew i was goin the other way down the steep hill, rolling and tumbling the bike hit me once in the back and head kinda hard knocked me out for a few mins, but thankfully i was wearing all my gear that day(fox chest protector, fox MX boots, fox 360 pants, cirus helmet, knee pads) if it wasnt for my equipment, i dont know what kind of shape i woulda ended up in. amazingly i didnt feel any pain or dizyness, so i kicked my bike over for about 2 mins, and it fired right up, and we did some more hill climbing, but i decided not to try individual piles, just up a sandy hill. caught some sweet pics, but my friend hasnt given em to me yet so i could scan them in. i did see them though, and sh*t my catwalk up that sand hill looked kick a**.

Old 09-17-2002, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

I have never really had a bad crash on my quads (knock on wood) except for a few times over the bars. But I did get messed up when I had my racing cart out trying out my new engine and my brakes go out when im doing about 35 or 40 and im going around a corner by this time im slowed to about 20 and there it a 1 ton flatbed truck parked there that wasnt there when I came around the first time needless to say I ate bumper and my head busted up the grill. The cart was crammed so far under the truck I had to jack it up to get it out from under it.

Old 09-17-2002, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, this is a real dumb one, because I always wear a helmet, don't ride after dark, and am a fairly safe driver. This happened about 12 years ago. It was evening, and I was riding the ATC 250r back to the wife's parents house sans helmet.((first mistake) I got pissed earlier because my new wife was bitching all the time, and didn't like that I was working 18 hour days. I decided to go for a ride, in some country land bordering their house.

It got dark, as I was talking to a friend at a convenience store payphone on the edge of the property I was riding on. He asked me if I wanted him to come pick me up and take me home, and I told him I was fine, that I was going to take a short cut using a well lit street and I'd call him the next day. I'd driven it in my car hundreds of times, and it was only about 2 miles to her house. I was still pissed, and remember thinking to myself what the hell did i ever to to her to deserve this? So I gave it hell, and had hit top gear and was screaming through te noght when suddenly I realized it was darker than normal, and that the lights which were normally on, weren't. It was pitch black. Unfortunately the road forked, around a tree I might add, and went to the left. I chose to go straight, or rather that decision was made for me.

Just about 10 feet before I hit I saw an outline of a very large tree, and remember thinking to myself in this order, Oh SH*t, I'm going to die, and as others have said every other detail about my life. At about 3 feet away from the tree I hit a 10" high flat curb and the front end stopped, forcing the rear to come up, which launched me towards the tree. I can still hear the crunching noises the bike made against the curb, my second recollection was me hitting the tree with the top and side of my head, getting slammed on the back by the atc, and in slow motion feeling something wet with intense pain at my leg. The next thing I remember was flying (for a long time)towards a hedgerow, taking out a fence, and then I blacked out.

When I came to I couldn't walk, so i had to crawl for about 1/4 mile through grass, where there was a guy i used to work for. I crawled up to his door and couldn't remember his name, or exactly why i was there, all i knew was I had a tremendous headache, and i could barely move. I kept thinking I need to call someone, call "91" and couldn't remember the rest of it. soon my ex boss came out and noticed I was laying in a pool of blood, and had left a trail of it to his door. He helped me roll over and wait for the ambulance, and I continued to black out. When the ambulance finaly got there along with about 50 law enforcement officers, (I used to work fire and rescue with them, and they broadcast it over the air, "unit 67 involved in 10-50 j2&quot I remember very little except one of the officers asking if i was going to be ok, and I remember the guy saying, "I don't think so"

Two days later I woke up in the hospital. In between the surgeries to stitch up several body parts: head, knee, foot back, etc, I used about $10,000 worth of painkillers and other drugs to keep me alive. I didn't walk for over a month, and it took many hours of working with a physical therapist to accomplish that. I was lucky to be alive. A week later I was able to go home. I still don't know why my skull wasn't crushed, or why I only lost part of my foot to the tree and the foot peg. The bike hit me and the tree so hard that it bent the axle and popped the rear tire off the bead, and I must have been knocked into the side of the tree instead of hitting it head on. My portion of the medical bills came to about 20,000, and all the rest way paid for by my insurance which paid 80%. I was lucky, I had a additional dismemberment policy which paid enough to get the bike fixed, and it only cost me a toe and part of my foot.

All I can say is someone was looking out for me then, and it wasn't my time to go.
The moral of the story, is never ride when you have other things on your mind.

Oh yeah, and to end this on a happy note always ride in the dunes, it doesn't hurt as much if you fall off. Don't ever try this at home folks.
;-)

Old 09-17-2002, 04:24 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]Lt500 it is good to see you are still alive after a impact like that. It sounds as thou there was definately some one watchin out for you that night. Becareful and stay safe!!!! Blaze

Old 09-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was the 2nd of feb, groundhogs day. we had just gotten about 8-12 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. my racing buddy took his mx trx 250r out on some trails with my dad and his 02 660. my buddy was in front and passed through the one section fine, going damn fast. my dad, in 4TH GEAR IN THE TRAILS ON A RAPTOR, tagged a 12 inch thick log that was hidden under the snow on the right side of the trail. somehow my buddy had missed it, but my dad wasnt so lucky.

he flipped the raptor, broke 6 ribs, punctured his lung, and was put in intesive care for a month. of that month, he was in a coma for 8 days. he has since gotten out and the ribs are healing, but slowly. the raptor had a total of $36.50 in damages. it needed a new tie rod sleeve and new handlebar. the hospital bill, thank God for insurance, was over $120,000. he and i still go riding every chance we get, except he takes the rancher and cruises along at 15mph or less

you know the old saying, when the horse bucks you off, you gotta get back on and ride again.

Old 09-17-2002, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

a buddy and i took my ski boat out one day. we wanted to ski but couldn't find a third person that day. it was only us two and by law there has to be a "watcher" in the boat. (law could be different now.)
we headed out to the center of the lake to avoid any rangers. we then leaned a ski up on the passenger seat and put a life jacket and ball cap on it. from a distant glance you really couldn't tell. we named him skinny. haha.
anyway, the water was really rough and i was kneeboarding. so it wasn't much fun. getting ill, i told him to just peg the throttle and i was gonna jump the wake as high as i possibly could before we left.
i was on a new board. a hydro-slide which was very nose heavy. we started out across the lake, with skinny looking on, gunning it all the way. i pulled out to the left of the wake as hard as i could and then relaxed the rope to be jetted back across the wake. well it didn't really have a clue as to how fast we were going.
when the tention came out of the rope i was catapulted across the wake so fast i felt my arms come out and go back into socket. as i hit the edge of the wake i lifted high enough to see down into the boat. the driver and skinny oblivious to what was about to happen.
as i was in the air i felt the nose of the board point straight down. i knew it was about to get bad. but, as i looked at the watery "concrete" rushing up to meet me all of a sudden, floating aimlessly into the landing zone was the biggest, dead, bloated, catfish i'd ever seen. well, you guessed it...dead center.
this thing must have exploded when i hit it. there was pieces everywhere.
i remember the impact sort of. but the only clear thing i remember was when i opened my eyes my friend was diving off the boat to come "save" me. so i must have been out a couple minutes. it takes a while to realize you skier fell, then turn around and creep up that slowly in a boat. the only damage to me was a bloody nose. good lord...that smell.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I just started walking "normal" again. A week ago Sunday I was riding my Raptor around my property and decided to tackle a jump my friends made.(without riding boots or nerf bars;STUPID!!!!). Needless to say my left foot came off the peg and got caught on the ground while my calf was all scraped up by the peg.OUCH!! Wear your safety equipment!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

New years eve I had my Trailboss at my Friends NEw years bash. After a few shots and a couple beers we all get out the quads at around 1-2 AM and decided to play in the fresh blanket of snow in the old Cornfields on his farm. It looked like a movie sceen from Empire Strikes Back on planet Hoth.
I did not know that the field by the woods has a creek going through th edge of it. Here it is four quads tearing across the snow flat field when the guy in front kind of disappears under the snow. I tried to turned my quad a little but hit the ice and started to slide sideways across the ice, left side first. When the Tboss hit the other side I was catapulted off the left rear side of the quad. The quad did not flip, go through the ice or get hurt in any way. But I landed in, on, and through his barbed wire fence surrounding his field. Thank god for insulated Carharts and I was wearing a helmet. My helmet had a scuff on it from hitting something but we never found it. It took awhile to get me out of the fence.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I love riding in the snow as long as you know what is under the snow. That night my buddy also found a dead deer buried under the snow with his blaster. It was froze to the ground too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It only threw him over the handle bars head first into the snow.