Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How do you drive on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always figured that if I had something to play around with off road with no rules that I would drive better on road. Nah, I think i actually got worse. Every day I try to see how fast I can get through the nice "S" curve on the way to school, suggested is 15, my best sofar is close to 60. Really stiff shocks work wonders on a 2900 lb rear drive 5 speed Ranger cept it beats the crap out of you everywhere else. Lol, I know my truck is slow (4 banger pinto engine with a high tech head) but I cant help it, always gotta push the limit at the same time as trying not to break any laws (much), trying not to wear out key parts, and trying not to get myself hurt or anyone else, ie. only play on roads with noone else or houses on em. So how do yall drive? Biggest choice for me now is, beef up my quad, or get that nice thunderbird turbo that fits my truck and makes close to 300hp. MMMmmmm 300hp, 2900 lbs, 5 spd..... rear end so light i can pick it up...... FFFUUUNNN!!!!
I can already hear my ultra lightweight aluminum gears shredding.... MMmmm new tranny maybe.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Thats great.. I hope the turns a left hander so you dont kill anyone else, only yourself

Old 09-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Tell your parents that you love them every day, because you won't be around for long. While your at it, remind them that they gave birth to, and raised a complete moron.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kid, you need something constructive to do with your life.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

<< Thats great.. I hope the turns a left hander so you dont kill anyone else, only yourself >>

Now thats funny, you guys scoot over and let me get a kick or two in........

Old 09-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

I've raced one motorsport or another since I was 11. I've noticed one thing about my driving. When I'm on season, and getting lots of track time, I'm much more sedate on the street. Off season is when I would slowly start to get stupid.

Befor I started racing motorcycles on differnt series, I rode my 900RR like a mad man on every mountain road I could. I developed a reputation around Tucson as the man to try to beet up Mount Lemon. After hearing about the third guy that got hurt trying to catch me [from his girlfriend as she cried telling me about it], I decided to take it to the track. Being such a hot shot on the streets, I thought I would tear it up on the track. My first day, I learned a valuable lesson when an old man on a Honda Ascot [500CC single] could hang pretty close to me though Willow Springs big track. [I'll bet Elliot Iverson could teach you sport bike guys a thing or two on that track, he beat that &quot;old man&quot; on the Ascot for the singles class points championship two years later]

The lesson I learned is the one I would like to pass to you, Jakal. You may think your fast out there on the street, but you are seriously dangerous, and probobly not near as fast as you think. If you want the speed fix, look up your local chapter of the SCCA and play with them for a while. You'll get to hang that truck out in a safe environment and learn a thing or two while your at it. I'm not trying to insult you, but 60 through a 15 area is not only dangerous for you, but others on the road as well. I know, &quot;been there, done that&quot;

Old 09-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure you print what you wrote on here...pull it back out when the kids that you have some day are of driving age. Tyr to make them understand that everyone does stupid things, and you where one of the lucky ones. I hope you will teach your children a little more respect for themseles and others before allowing them to get behind the wheel. Imagine the heartache you may save yourself and your family's.
Remember....

The worst nightmare that you'll never wakeup from is a policeman knocking on your door in the middle of the night.

Think about it....
Dave

Old 09-17-2002, 05:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Slow down a little, i hate to preach. I have gone faster thru s-turns a long time ago. As i drive thru them now i wonder how i survived 20 years ago. Think about the future, quads a dangerous enough.

Old 09-17-2002, 06:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

The last sentence from Raptor4us says it all.
It'll catch up with you.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

&lt;&lt;I always figured that if I had something to play around with off road with no rules that I would drive better on road. &gt;&gt;

I think that you need to ride the RD350, &amp; try to avoid hotshots, speeders, folks taking your lane, left turns in front of you, it is a REAL challenge to ride a street bike for a while &amp; still be able to come home..it takes all your concentration expecting drivers to do something stupid, each day I ride..well I'm not suprised anymore..

If you ride the RD, you'll see that I have it correct..seems like you have it reversed..
(yes I Ride with the SCRC..Southern Cruisers)

&lt;&lt;Nah, I think i actually got worse. Every day I try to see how fast I can get through the nice &quot;S&quot; curve on the way to school, suggested is 15, my best sofar is close to 60. Really stiff shocks work wonders on a 2900 lb rear drive 5 speed Ranger cept it beats the crap out of you everywhere else. Lol, I know my truck is slow (4 banger pinto engine with a high tech head) but I cant help it, always gotta push the limit at the same time as trying not to break any laws (much), trying not to wear out key parts, and trying not to get myself hurt or anyone else, ie. only play on roads with noone else or houses on em.&gt;&gt;

the key word here is RESPECT for others, I mean before you do your &quot;testing&quot; runs, do you go through the area twice, or just assume that it is clear? I'd sure hate to be riding my bike , &amp; meet up with someone who drives like you..driving is a PRIVELIDGE, not a right..there are times &amp; places for &quot;testing &quot; runs, more like autocross, or closed circut events..

that way the chances of inadvertently hurting someone else, either me on my bike, riding with my wife on hers, or a group of friends, or me pulling my long bed truck with a 12' trailer and a quad out of the woods while surveying a piece of land that borders the road..

I'm a little put out becuase each day I pull the quad, people pull out in front of me &amp; tailgate me..they must really trust their brakes AS WELL AS MINE..it takes a lot to change directions quickly or stop quickly with a 35 foot long road train..just some thought..

&gt;&gt; So how do yall drive?&lt;&lt;

AS defensive as I can, you see others out there don't look out for me, no matter WHAT I DRIVE 2 wheels or 4,
I drive about the same way on my bike as I do in my truck..

maybe it is time to retake the motorcycle rider course, &amp; use THAT in ALL kinds of driving..

&lt;&lt; Biggest choice for me now is, beef up my quad, or get that nice thunderbird turbo that fits my truck and makes close to 300hp. MMMmmmm 300hp, 2900 lbs, 5 spd..... rear end so light i can pick it up...... FFFUUUNNN!!!!&gt;&gt;

I think you should do the quad..the public will be alot safer, it will be in a better area to ride, &amp; folks that ride in that area will be expecting quads &amp; bikes..

&lt;&lt;I can already hear my ultra lightweight aluminum gears shredding.... MMmmm new tranny maybe.&gt;&gt;

Quick Reply: How do you drive on the road?