Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what is to become of the YAMAHA BANSHEE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent been paying much attention to the 2-stroke stoppage but I finnaly realized that the banshee going to change or disaper,although i have no idea what will happen tell me what u think will happen to the banshee!

Old 09-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

Nothing. Yamaha cant make enough of them. They sell fast and outsell the raptor.

2stroke technology is far from dead. Infact its probably just the begining of the future for 2 strokes thanks to technological upgrades.

The Banshee has its own Rider cult and a HUGE aftermarket. This is a money making bike and it would be stupid for yamaha to touch it.

Old 09-25-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

2006 will be the end of off road legal bikes that do not meat emisiond requirments. As of now no 2 stroke and no 4 stroke current bike meat those #'s. It will be easier for 4 strokes to meat them b/c of valves, you can insure that 0 unburnt fule gets out but that is just the start.
2 stroke will always dump unburnt fule so you need to inject at the last min and the recirculate the gas. All of that means weight and complexcity, you can have that on a boat motor but not on a quad.
Compatition bikes will not be affected so here is the senerio Yamaha keeps selling the banshie unchanged until production #s do not justify it any more ( the most likley) they give it one last hurra and make a few updates until the above senario plays out or they stop selling them in 05 or 06 all togther.
I would bet on the first or last but then I would have not guessed the shee would have lived this long unghanged.
with the Yam tech I would look for lets say a 500cc inline twin 5 valve high reving 4 stroke to replace the shee in the future with such a set up I think you could tune it to give that wicked hit that all banshee riders love but that is pure guess.

Old 09-25-2002, 05:33 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

<< 2 stroke will always dump unburnt fule so you need to inject at the last min and the recirculate the gas. All of that means weight and complexcity, you can have that on a boat motor but not on a quad. >>

Yes current 2 strokes have fuel blowby problems. They also misfire at idle causing that rough running. But a DI 2 stroke or a SDI 2 stroke will take care of that.

It does add weight but the total package will still be much lighter and cheaper to produce then a 4 stroke, not to mention the additional power the 2 stroke can make.

As for complexcity, well current atvs are already complex. In the future with all the emmition regulations comming they will only get more complex. If you look at bombardiers 800sdi motor it really doesnt look that complex at all and probably weights the same as a carbed version.

And finally 4 strokes also have a bit of blow by. There is a time during combustion the both intake and exhaust are open and some leaks by.

4 strokes are less efficent then a DI two stroke, more expencive to make, heavier, and emmit more polution so if anything i would say 4 strokes are on there way out.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Why not just put an intake valve on a 2 stroke? and a computer controled power valve to help?

Old 09-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

As much as I hate to stay it 2 stroke's are on the way out thank's to all the envormentist crying about pollution! I dont believe that a 2 stroke motor is any threat to the plant! Its just were an easy target
because we are small group of working people not the big rich companys like the big 3 auto makers that are destroying the planet everyday with there waste! What about all the oil spills in the ocean from oil tankers I guess thats ok because the politicians are getting theirs! just face it the 2 stroke days are numbered, hell even Sleds and Wave runners are getting 4 strokes now!
I just hope my Banshee with fall under the grand father clause.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Is there anything us two stoke lovers can do about it??????

Ryan

Old 09-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Your banshee is safe. Honda had a running clean burn 2 stroke a while back they said it was to heavy to costly and at up to much power, also they said they could produce a more powerful 4 stroke so why bother. I admire your tenasity but the FICH and other DI tech is also in danger it meats current emmision regs but the maker do not think it will meat future regs. These statments are not mine they are what I read over the years, trust me everyone is looking for the next big thing but you can not reinvent the wheel. Yes at some point you could make the perfect 2 stroke but the R&amp;D money and the productioncost would put you out of business. Remember mfg's are in it for the money only and if they can produce a cheep light 4 stroke and sell everyone they make I would not look for much else.
Of course a CRF450R in a few year will be as light as a CR250 it already makes more power and puts it to the ground better and does it on less fule and less emmisions so how it that in-efficent?

Old 09-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

Ok. IMO if a company was to make a 2 stroke it would be bombardier. Why. Because they are not going to put a highperformance 4 stroke in a sled. Instead they bought the rights to Ficht and Orbital DI. The leaders in 2 stroke Direct injection systems. They bought that becasue they will be using 2 strokes to power there vehicals in the future.

Some univercity made a 2 stroke that didnt loose any hp compaired to there carbed version but had a emmition reduction of 99%. I dont think the goverment can ask for much more then that.

Imagine a DS440 with orbital DI. Its a serious posiblity, bombardier has done crazyier things..

Old 09-26-2002, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have an interesting story to tell you. A local guy converted his chevy truck to run on propane. Propane burns about %99 clean. This man went and had his truck smogged and the results came back that it had a very clean running engine with near-zero exhaust pollution. Then the good ole DMV steps in and says he cannot register his truck to drive on the road because it does not have a cataylitic(sp?)converter. It doesn't really matter how clean an engine runs, as long as the EPA says it can't be registered, it cant. PERIOD!
Doesn't it make you wonder if the government will not allow you to register a quad or dirtbike just because it is a two stroke, reguardless of how much (or little) it pollutes?

JaMeS

Quick Reply: what is to become of the YAMAHA BANSHEE?