Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Little Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2000, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, my Grizz is at 1776 miles. Have any of you guys had a small amount of oil up under the seat drip down onto the muffler protection shield. I get a small amount once and a while and I cant find were it is coming from. My brother has the same bike and same stain in the same spot. It looks like it is from the three hoses above the carb, its not though, i tracked them back to vents for the diff. Any idea's. Thanks for any help.
Steelhead.

Old 03-27-2000, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I havn't had this happen to me yet, Only have 170 miles on mine so far. But I have read several old post about this issue. What the cause seemed to be was the difs were over filled. The manual shows & says that they should be filled all the way up to where the bolt goes in. However in reality it should be slightly lower to prevent it from backing up oil in the vent tubes and onto the exhaust. Hope it helps out. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2000, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

Ridgerunner is correct in what he said my '98 did it and so does my '00,the only thing I can add is to reroute your rear diff. vent so it won't go on your exaust once the correct level is attained in the diff. it stops leaking.

Old 03-27-2000, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

I think this happened to my 97 Big Bear,I was also told it was just excess differential oil,and just rerouted the hose.Worked Great!!

Old 03-27-2000, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

This samething happened to my 98 scrambler. The vent hoses would spit oil if I rode it hard when it was cold. If I rode around and let all the fluids warm up before riding hard it was fine.

2000 Grizzly
2000lb super winch

Old 03-27-2000, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

Any of the answers could be your problem. But my oil leak formed right in the same spot but was cause by a loose automatic transmission cover. The cover had been loose and when I was riding at high rpm's it threw oil out the cover. I fixed it by tightening the cover.And has never leaked since. I have 900 miles on my Griz and has never once gave me trouble except this one problem. They ARE pretty durable machines.Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2001, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure how to solve your oil leak problem, when I can't solve mine. I have oil accumulating right by the oil drain hole. I haven't been able to find the source of the problem. I did hear that there was a problem with 98 Grizzly's and that they made a fix for the oil drain plug. Could anyone offer some information on this problem?

Jeff

Old 08-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 98 grizz that is doing the same thing leaking oil by the drain plug. I think on mine anyhow it is the crankcase where it splits in two. I have tightend the bolts in the area I hope it works it doesn't leak much it takes more than a day for oil to hit the ground. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know

Thanks

Old 08-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally gave up looking for the oil leak and brought it to a guy that was a former dealership mechanic now working on his own. All it was was new o-rings. One on the oil drain plug and one on the plug nearby that has a magnet attached to catch metal shavings.

It cost me $75 for that answer. Send me half if it fixes your problem. Just kidding.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Leaking differential seems to be a common problem. I had to reroute the tube for the rear differential and that worked for me also. The tube now leads back to the swingarm.
My old Honda 350 4x4 used to do the same thing from the front differential.
I don't know why manufacturers route the tubes above the engines.
You should be able to tell if it is differential because it smells really bad, especially when it's burning on a hot engine or exhaust.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Little Oil leak