Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Belt slipping on Kodiak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying a new ATV, and I think I have it narrowed down to a Rancher ES 4x4, or the Kodiak 450 4x4. I like the manual shift on the Honda, but I don't like the fact that it is always in 4 wheel drive. As for the Kodiak, I think it's a better ATV, but I'm worried that the belt may slip while riding.
I have heard of a few people mentioning this problem, and I will be using the ATV for crossing some streams, and going over some muddy, wet areas.
Just wanted to know if anyone has had this belt problem with their ATV. Also, what are some advantages / disadvantages of the Kodiac vs. Rancher? (I'm also considering the Prarie 360....)

Any help would be great!

Old 10-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cheko-
I picked up a 2003 Kodiak 400 4x4 in July. I've put 325 miles on it. It's been through creeks and mudholes and I haven't experienced any problems with the belt slipping or any other problems. I'm very happy with the choice I made.

Jay
2001 Bear Tracker
2003 Kodiak 400 4x4

Old 10-03-2002, 10:02 PM
The Facility

The Yamaha models have the best automatics in the business when compared to other belt drive trannies.

You shouldn't run into any belt slippage problems unless you are riding in water that it is up to the seat. This is the same height of the breather tube, and if you get water in there by riding in shallower water, you most likely have a leak within the belt housing itself.

I can't remember if all the Kodiaks have a drain plug on the casing or not, but if not, it would be wise to install one. Just in case you do get water in there, you will be able to drain it.

I will also mention that I sell fewer belts for the Yamahas than I do others. I have MAYBE sold a total of 6 belts since their original release with the 1998 600 Grizzly.

I would put the Kawasaki's 2nd on the list for automatic dependability based only on their apparently weak belts. I sell quite a few of these for all models of Kawasakis. But the rest of their system seems to hold up just as well as the Yamahas.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

TextText[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]buy th kodiac and get some someone that can plum some lines up to the front of your wheeler from the exhaust side of your belt and you won't have any problems---there are also numerous carb vent tricks ya can do so it will darn near run to the top of the tank--check out funwheelerpark.com ---you'll see --- good luck