Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Say NO to Y.E.S. (Yamaha Extended Service)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received an axle from Yamaha as a good will gesture after a lot of pains taken heartache and when I went to install it I seen dirt in the axle housing. I drained the differential oil and found that the oil was a dark Grey color. So there was evidence of moisture in the in the rear end. After I examined it further I found that there was dirt past the seals on the axle where the axle went into the housing. So I am guessing that I have a bad seal. I took my four wheeler to the dealer today and took a sample of oil with me to show them. One of the sales people I was talking with said that his rear end oil looks like that when he changes it ever 6 months. I was going to see if the seals were covered under warranty but they said they were a normal wear item and Yamaha would not cover them. I than called Yamaha Customer Service and they said that if it was due from faulty workmanship or manufacturer defect than they would cover it well it is going to be really hard to tell on a seal because the axle is turning in side of them.

Please let me know how long you guys and gals have been getting out of a set of seals. I will have to repack the bearing and put the new seals on. I guess I will need to check the front too while I am at it. Please let me know not just on Wolverines but also any other Yamaha ATV.