Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tony Steward(nascar) Owns a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tony Steward(nascar) Owns a raptor

Jsect- right on, before the modern era in nascar the "king" and a few others were the only ones with enough funding and good equiptment to get to victory lane. There are 20 cars every week that have a great chance and 15 that have a good chance today. In the old days there were 3 or 4. Check out some film of the pit stops in the old days. lol

Earnhardt set the marketing ball rolling and look where it has envoled to! I was in Atlanta and there was millions of dollars of displays by numerous vendors. I has become a "event" to go to. I try to make 4 cup races a year. I do think they are getting to greedy though. I paid 125 each for tickets to 2 races this year and 100 for the other.

Old 11-04-2002, 01:26 PM
RIP Dear Friend

14mins,

This has been a good post.

The year I remember from the past is 1970 when they had the winged Dodge Daytona's. Richard petty won the most victories posted by a driver in a Wing car.

Now this really dates me but I remember walking with a friend over to the Dodge dealership that was about 10 blocks away and actually seeing one of these cars for sale. I loved it.

Chet

Old 11-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean on the pit stops I think I seen one of the crew members drink a beer while they waited for the driver to come in. I like watching the shows like "Men Behind the Wrenches" and "Past NASCAR Champions". You get to see a lot of really neat footage of the days of old. Also back then not all of the drivers raced full time most would race when the series was close to home. There was not the money in it like there is today.

Wouldn't it be great to buy a car for just a few thousand, take the glass out and drive her down to the track race then driver home? Just your typical guy could win a Daytona or a Bristol. Now they spend over $500,000 on a car.

Don't you find it kind of odd that the models that the "stock" cars are based off of don't even have the option to get a V-8?

Old 11-04-2002, 02:03 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: jcsact

Don't you find it kind of odd that the models that the "stock" cars are based off of don't even have the option to get a V-8?
LOL,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

jcsact,

You make a very good point, I knew that but just had not thought about it.

Chet

Old 11-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Chet,
Have you seen how many of the Monte SS out there today. I was talking to guy about his one day and I asked him what size engine comes in the SS and he said it was (I think) the same 6 cylinder as the regular Monte with a different air intake. I am a Chevy guy but come on. Give it a V-8. (Hey like of the old commercial) LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Is the Monte a front wheel drive car too?

So I guess that would make my Wolverine an SS then since I have a different air cleaner.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:27 PM
RIP Dear Friend

jcsact,

They might call the new one's Monte Carlo but there just another GM clone on a very dated chassis.

This dates my chassis again, but when I think Monte Carlo I think of a black 1970 454SS. Now that's a real Monte Carlo.

Chet

Old 11-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

when I think Monte Carlo I think of a black 1970 454SS
There you go now that is what a stock car should be based off of. Except it was as big and heavy as a semi. LOL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

A lil inside info on what the cars feel like since I drove all the real ones at my old job. Monte Carlo has the acceleration of a mini van and the handling of a wagon. Grand Prix (nascar use grand am or grand prix? is fast in the supercharged form, almost on par with a Mustang GT. Grand Am feels like a Grand Prix with an anchor behind it. Ford Taurus is fast with the optional big v-6. Dodge Intrepid handles like CRAP but the engine makes up for it a little bit. Mash it and that sucker revs to the moon and singe beatifully doing it. Sounds almost German. No good gear past 85 and the acceleration changes from sporty to almost nil. From what I hear, (I never abused any of the cars up there other than the occasional WOT run too around 100 which was the rest of the caravans average speed) an Intrepid will do a mean burn out. Did I leave any cars out? Fastes car I ever drove up there was a Altima with a chip and the top of the line engine. Sucker was sprinting between 80-100 like it was 20-40. I did drive stuff like Mustang Cobras and such but never very far and never over about 25mph 40mph. On a side note the special edition jeep with a big ol v-8 was a FIRE BREATHING MONSTER.

P.S. I hate Chrysler but they have big ol *****, they are about to make a 300M with a 348 hp HEMI!!!!! (V-6 300M hauls!! and is also very refined, unlike the rest of their cars)

Old 11-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jcsact
Is the Monte a front wheel drive car too?So I guess that would make my Wolverine an SS then since I have a different air cleaner.
All the current Nascar bodies are V6 front wheel drives in factory form.

Old 11-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORYFM660r

The year I remember from the past is 1970 when they had the winged Dodge Daytona's. Richard petty won the most victories posted by a driver in a Wing car.

Now this really dates me but I remember walking with a friend over to the Dodge dealership that was about 10 blocks away and actually seeing one of these cars for sale. I loved it.

Chet
I remember watching the Superbirds & Charger Daytonas on Wide World of Sports back when that was the only place to see races. That's when Racing took more ***** than $$$$$$
I still get chills watching that guy bite the big one on the ski jump!! LOL!!

Quick Reply: Tony Steward(nascar) Owns a raptor