Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How good is the Grizzly 660 plastic skid plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the Grizzly 660 plastic skid plate?

Thanks again everyone. Yea, it does suck about the scratches on my new Grizz. I saw them unloading the Limited Edition as soon as I walked in the door, and I new I had to have it. But after they got it off the truck I could see these rub marks on the sides of the right fenders, like the ones that Frogman28 mentioned. They are right on the outer edge of the right side front and rear fenders. Also, a little scratch on the gas tank plastic in the indention by the gas cap. The dealer said that it was transportation damage; obviously they had placed the Grizzly up against the wall of the truck where it rubbed during the vibrations while they were driving. Anyway, they are going to replace all the damaged plastic body parts, which is cool, I just am afraid that it will take a long time before those parts are available, specially since it is a limited edition, what do you guy's think?

Lsnake68I, thanks for letting me know about the fenders. How did you find this out? Have you pulled your fenders off? I know that every quad that I have ever had has had one-piece front and rear fenders, but the Grizzly looks like they are separate fenders for the left and right side. Hopefully that is just the way that it looks, I'm sure that you are right. I'm just worrying now that it will take a long time to get the right side fenders in, and by then I will have messed up my left side fenders [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It would just be my luck, that the Grizzly was the only quad made that has separate left and right side front and rear fenders, rather than the left and right side fender assembly being one piece. I really hope they are, that way I will get all new plastic in several months or when ever it comes in and my Grizzly will look brand new again.

Thanks for the info on the skids and about the fenders. Any more info about the Grizz is appreciated. I had a Prairie 650 before and I thought it was nice, but after a day on the Grizzly, I was blown away. I love this thing, and for me there is no question that the Grizzly is the better quad.

Old 11-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

One other question for you Grizzly owners. The Prairie 650's belt would squeal during take off and that started at about 450 miles. I have read lots of post about belt problems with the Prairie, and that it needs to be adjusted and re-shimmed very often. I also read that with the belt drive transmissions that you should run them in low range most of the time to avoid over working the belt, I guess to avoid slipping it to much in high, I don't know. Anyway, my question is, do I need to run the Grizzly in low range allot? I have read that the Grizzly has a constant tension belt, so it doesn't seam like this would be necessary, unless my assumption about the belt slippage is wrong and that you need to run it in low for other reasons. The Grizzly?s low range is very low, maybe twice as low as the one on the Prairie, so by the time you hit 10-12 mph it is winding up pretty good. Am I going to damage my belt by driving at speeds of 10 mph and above in high range? I really hate to hear the belt squealing, that is the biggest reason that I got rid of my Prairie 650. I didn't think that it should be squealing with less than 500 miles on it, so I am really hoping that the Grizzly will be much better and not squeal on me since it has a different design for the belt transmission. Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2002, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have never had the belt sqeel during normal operation. The only time was in reverse while pulling under HEAVY load. I run in low when under 10mph other than that.....high.

I know alot just keep it in high and so far no problems....unless they are in 4x4 and running in mud, then put in low.

I hope that you get to keep the old plastic! would be a nice backup fender.

Jonathan

Old 11-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

That's a good idea frogman28. I hadn't thought about that, keeping the old fenders. There really in pretty good shape, just some rub marks on the side of the right front and rear fenders. A little rub mark on the right floorboard, and a scratch on the fuel tank plastic near the gas cap. They are replacing all of it, both front and rear fenders, right floor board and gas tank plastic. It would be nice to keep all the old stuff just in case, because it really isn't that noticeable. The only reason I made them replace all of it is because they wouldn't come off of the price any due to it being a limited production model, and the only one they had or had seen. I'll have to see if they will let me keep it. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

WELL THE ONE TIME I LET MY BROTHER RIDE MY GRIZ, HE RIPED THE SKIDPLATE IN TWO PLACES. THEY ONLY PROTECT FROM SMALL STUFF.
I MAD MY OWN OUT OF DIAMONDPLATE, AND THEY REALLY PROTECT IT NOW.

Old 01-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Just for my input the plastic skids didn't last two days for me, and that was riding lightly. One of the swing arm gaurds turned into a CV boot and tore that up by itself. I replaced the whole set with stuff from ricochet, and have been happy with their stuff.

http://www.utahsportcycle.com/ricoFS.htm

Old 01-30-2003, 03:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly LImited Edition Mettalic Titanium. It is awesome. I love it. Sounds like you guys like the ones you have.