Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what psi do you run

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what psi do you run

what psi do you raptor riders run in you stock dunlops, front and back. what does higher and lower psi affect handling

Old 11-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I run about 5lbs, If you have a higher tire pressure you will slide easier but not grab as well. visa versa for lower pressure.

Old 11-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

i run about 3.6 psi all around is that to low. i ride mostly woods with lots of mud hard packed dirt lots of ruts and rutes here and there.

Old 11-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I like to keep the recommended pressure in mine. I use to have the stock dunlops, but got too many holes in them. I think they're garbage (JMO). I run alot of woods and tight trails and the dunlops would always pop. (only two ply) I recently put pure sport bandits up front (kevlar lined) and shredder four ply on the back . I love the set up and it doesn't cost alot. Get rid of the Dunlops and you will notice a big difference

Old 11-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

how is your setup on mx or open land, i like the stockers in the woods, they hook up good and dont slide to much but slide when i want them to. but on mx and grass they have way to much side bit and make it 2 wheel some times. I think it is the tires that give it the tippy feeling that the rap is so well known for but i think its the tires. i know it is a little bit more top heavy then the 400 ex and z but there is alot more motor in the same size frame and no i would not trade the cc's for anything. its a rush every time i pin the gas, after i got my rap ridding my friends 400ex was just lame. I dont think it is fair that the rap is said to be tippy, i would take the handaling of my rap over that of a 400ex or shee and thats not because i cant ride the 400 because i rode it for a year before i bought my 03 LE rap. the first time i pind the gas i almost creamed my pants, after that i fell in love. you just have to know how to handle the rap and that is not an easy thing to do but once you get it down it flat out rips though the wood. i have not lost a race though the woods yet and i have run banshees, 400ex's, 125 two wheelers, blasters and nothing can touch me.

Old 11-02-2002, 05:36 PM
RIP Dear Friend

On our place I run the stock pressure of 4.0 PSI.

If I am going out for a long ride I will air the tires up to 6.5 PSI from the suggestion here on the forum.

They will not flat as easy with the higher PSI.

Chet

Old 11-03-2002, 12:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I run at least 5 lbs in the tight spots,,,otherwise I risk a pinch.
on the wider faster stuff...i drop it to below 4,,,to get all that traction.
You will have to try adjusting to your weight.

My a$$ is 260 lbs.

Old 11-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

660r420, I don't ride mx, but I do run wide open. I love the pure sports up front because they really bite in and making turning on a dime much easier. The shredders are awesome on the back as well. Make sure to maintain equal tire pressure up front and it will go straight as an arrow. I was not impressed with the dunlops at all. Thw two ply thing doesn't work well in the woods and rocky courses.