Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what mod next for shee!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what mod next for shee!

Milling the head is basically cutting off a little bit of the surface of the head that mates to the cylinder. This raises compression and improves power; especiallythe low end power. You need to be careful because there's more to this than you'd think. A small amount milled is good but too much will affect the squish and give too much compression. It's a cheap mod for a little more HP. A machine shop has to do the milling.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

When u mill the head, u take 30 or 40 thousandths off the overall tallness of the head, it comes down that much closer to the pistons and makes the spark pulgs closer too. It increases compression and HP. Its a good cheap mod!

-nick

Old 11-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Well, here are my thoughts. Remember I own a non ported banshee and a FTZ built TT banshee.

RoostKing is dead on. Save the money. I have the Trinity Stage IV Pro series head (21cc) on the playbike. When I built the TT bike, I had the stock head cut and rechambered for less than half and I can get a gasket set anywhere versus giving Trinity 20 bucks for a bunch of time consuming, pain in the *** o-rings and waiting for shipping. Don't just have them mill the deck. The banshee's squish angle needs to be modded for maximum results.

The Pro-flo intake kit (www.pro-flo.com) without an air box, makes more power than what you have now. It is 49.95.

Don't buy the V-force reeds. Your stock cages milled will flow just as much. FTZ gets $115. This would be the best thing to do.

Remove Tors like Wyo said. You can then dial in your carbs and you will be amazed at the added response. I used the Motion Pro kit.

The dyna ignition is a great investment if you are going to be modding it farther later. My banshee with PC pipes, the head that I mentioned, FTZ modded cages, pro-flo intake, and perfect jetting would pull 5th gear wheelies off of throttle with me (270lbs) on it. I put the dyna on, upped my jets from a 270 to a 330, and it would stand up in 6th. However, I have encountered a dead spot before I come on the pipe. It is so annoying that I can't even ride the bike. Anytime I fall off the pipe, I must drop gears. I am going to have to port it or take some of the parts off. I wish I would have stayed with the setup it had when I bought it. PC pipes, Pro-design Pro-flow intake with foam filter, no air box lid. It was much more rideable.

Having done what I have, if I were in your shoes, I would look to other types of mods. Change your coolant to Engine Ice. Install a high flow water pump and e-z drain cover. Put in YZ490 clutch springs. Modify the shift star. Put in stainless allen screws, great when you need to remove them next time. Add nerfs, handlebars, trick clutch levers, trick wheels, etc.

Ported banshees are monsters to hang onto in the woods. My playbike is bad enough.

Just my thoughts, Richard

Old 11-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

i was thinking about the trinity head job and trinity pipes lightened flywheel and ported reed cages

Old 11-19-2002, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

and the big carbs

Old 11-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

and maybe superlite pistons

Old 11-19-2002, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

<u>I would</u> get the milling done, look for a Wiseco SuperLite piston, put in a EBC clutch kit with a Wiseco forged clutch basket. That would give you lots more power and a broader powerband from the higher RPMs which the superlite gives you. And the clutch stuff is a guaranteed way to get it all to the ground. that's what i'd do personally...

Old 11-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have to vent.

02bansheeman, is it really neccesary to post three, one line posts in three minutes? If you do decide that you need to add to the original post, do so by clicking the EDIT button. Hell, that is what it is there for (Novel idea huh). Posting numerous times in a row is annoying, makes the page longer, causes more e-mail notifications, and shows you can't hold more than one thought at a time. My guess is you posted thrice so that you can reach Pro Rider status quicker. Well the rating system is made to destinguish the productive from the non productive members. However, posting such as this is not productive. I know you aren't the only member to do this, so you will see me going off on others.

Wiseco pistons are heavier than stock! All of their pistons are "superlite".

Quadracer, ask any banshee engine builder, they will tell you factory friction plates and clutch discs are the best. Since his bike is new, the clutch will still be fine. He just needs the yz490 springs.

Wiseco makes clutch baskets now? New to me. Pistons alone don't widen your powerband, and in general, don't increase hp (using same compression).

Big carbs with stock ports won't help.

I am done.

Old 11-20-2002, 04:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Along the same lines....I think, do I really wanna take the time gathering up a good, useful reply if this guy is on four other subjects? I usually don't take the time too reply if a guy is clearly spamming too get more posts.

Old 11-20-2002, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

Well there's a Pro-Lite and a Super-Lite... and the superlight allows the engine to rev much quicker, but whatever... And yea, Wiseco makes really nice forged baskets.