Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sand tires what would be a good choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand tires what would be a good choice

My buddy has a 02 warrior and I think im going to get a 03 raptor. A large group of us will be going to the Oregon Dunes to ride in April and I would like to get some paddle tires. What size,brand,and type of paddle would you recommend for a stock Warrior and a stock raptor. I was looking at the GBC Sand Sharks and the Kenda Gecko.

Archer

Old 01-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the sand sharks but the geckos will spin too much on the Raptor.

IMO the best sand tire for the Raptor is Skat Trak 8 paddle Extreme Haulers in 22 x 11 x 10.
If your going to ride dunes with any size to them the Extremes will be the best choice.
No they don't turn like angled paddles & yes you'll need a front sand tire like mohawks to help with the turning, but if you have a wider than stock width the turning gets easier (I have 3" wheel spacers on the rear & it made a big diffrence).

If you want to ride sand trails & cut doughnuts get angled paddles, if you want to get enough hook to take on the big dunes get Extremes.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Moose makes an excellent point. I have a bone stock 03 raptor with 20" extremes on 10" wheels with 10 paddles. i dropped a tooth on the front and im very happy. if i had to do it again id go with 22" tires.

if you are looking for trail type paddles, go with sand skates or some other v paddle. I havent had any problem with the stock dunlop radials on the fronts.

good luck with your choice.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

In fact I preferred the stock Dunlops on the front over Skat-Trak Mohawks. The Haulers on the Raptor pulled the Mohawks up too much, making turning a chore. Definetely Skat-Traks on the back though.

Old 01-24-2003, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys

will angle paddels help with turning? what is the reason for angle paddles?

Hey moose you say the 3 inch wheel spacers work good, im a machinist i wonder if i could make them or mabye they are cheap enough to buy.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider

Here's a pic of my wheel spacers
I got them for $75 from my dealer (I get a 25% discount from them) They're High lifters, 1 1/2" wider a side for a 3" total.
They look easy enough to buid if you have acess to the equipment.

The angled paddles turn better because they don't get as much hook as straight paddles.

Old 01-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys

went down to SMI Motorsports and looked at thier tires and got some more advise. They said they would recomend the gbc sand devil's (strait paddels)20x11x10 10 paddels.I also asked about getting 22 inch tires the said that they could order some kenda 22x11x10 10 paddels for $20 more a set.

Maddog said that he had to drop a tooth in the front with 20 inch tires. How much is a new front sproket and is it easy to change in the field? i thinking about getting the 20 inch tires and maybe buying a new front sproket. i think i like the look of 20 inch tires but would still get the preformance of 22's if i droped a tooth.

Archer

Old 01-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Changing the front sprocket requires removing the left foot peg from the frame & heel guard (if you have the stock chain guard on it RMW billet makes a chain guard that you don't have to pull the peg)

IMO the 20" tire is not a good choice for the Raptor.
The Raptor has a lot of torque & the 22" tire suits that.
I've seen Raptors with 20" paddles & they spin hard & dig holes easier than 22" tires.
I'm a big guy with a piped Raptor & I run the dunes all day with 22" Extreme Haulers & stock gearing.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Well Moose

I value your opinion I have seen pics of your bike in action. And I think you would know what would work best. Between what you and Maddog have posted I will spend the extra $20 bucks and go to 22" tires. It sounds like it would work the best. I don’t want to be digging holes I want to be climbing. I just don’t want to bog down the bike. I am also a big guy 225lbs.

Ok 1 more question ITP or Douglas Wheels?

Archer

Old 01-26-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

I'm bigger than you (not by much LOL!!) & have no problem pulling the 22's, they give me better ground clearance, floatation & traction.
The 8 paddle 22's are just right for me.
I tried 10 paddle 22's & they were too much, they pulled it down in the top gears & it was noticable.

What Mhargrove said about 8" rims is true. I use the 10" rims cause I do a lot of drag racing & don't want to have the extra sidewall flex.
I'm hoping the new Elkas all around will tame the whoops!!
What he said about Geckos is true!! same with Roosters. they are for low HP quads not torque monsters like Raptors!!!

You will need front sand tires to help with turning,
With the extra traction I get for climbing dunes needing front sand tires (I have Mohawks) is a small price to pay.
If you don't climb large dunes & don't care about drag racing the wedge style might be a better choice, you don't really need front sand tires with those.

I've never tried ITP wheels, I got my tires at Jims sand Toys in Waynoka & he had .160 Douglass wheels so that's what I got.

Quick Reply: Sand tires what would be a good choice