Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Riding with Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motorsports have (by nature and history) always been pretty much a "man" thing. In my humble opinion, it is basically because women (again, by nature) do not normally have a built in mechanical aptitude. When a female crosses over into the "man's world", they will more than likely get guff from chauvenistic males and applause from "real" men. Regardless of what the men folk think of us, there are some of us (Jennifer, ATVgurl, Quadkaryn, myself, and others I have not met yet) who truly enjoy the sport just as much as you men do. Some of us ride hard, every bit as hard as you guys do, some of us are interested in maintaining our own machines and enjoy wrenching, whether it was just the way we were raised (like with two brothers in my case) or an acquired interest.

Personally, when I go riding, it's because there is no place I'd rather be or anything else I'd rather be doing. It's not to prove a point, it's not to show the guys up, it's just to go out and have as much fun as a person can possibly fit into one day of riding.

Thank you to you guys that have a positive encouraging comment for us female riders. To you others who don't care to have your partners with you when you ride....I don't know what to say, except to each their own. I can't think of too many other (public) activities that are as much fun to do together as getting out and riding!

just my .02

Old 02-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey just a couple of questions!!!!

Atvpilot do you have mutiple personalities or had the forum goofed?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And as in women riding, well most boys can't take the heat and the real men can.
And I can ride as hard or harder than most.
I don't think the guys will ever get over the big boobed anorexic looking models,
But most will not find that type, especially the type that want to get out and get
dirty and ride. Not that I am ******* anyone out or anything.
I work and manage a parts store and I deal with this daily.
Which I get a really big thrill at to think there is a few morons still out there.
And Bubba is right I won't let him live the riding without me down.
I would rather him go to the strip club than to go riding without me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BUt any way that is my .02 worth.

By the way I do have a tight tight t-shirt that does say
"I'm sorry I thought you could ride"

But I couldn't do any of this without my bestfriend and totally wonderful
husband Bubba.

See ya
Dana

Old 02-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

No you don't see too many women who enjoy riding ATV's. And the women who appear in the Huavos films are only interested in getting paid and or the hopes that someone will see them and hire them to do a "B" movie. Other than that, they couldn't care less.

But what you will find from time to time a down to earth woman who enjoys the experience of ATV riding. She may or may not be 110 lbs., but if your not married or dating her........big deal. To each his own. Like "Biggin" said "big girls need lovin' too". ha ha

I think it is cool to see a woman who is confident enough to ride well. And I do feel that a lot of it is educating them on how to ride. Also as mentioned before by Jennifer, she was grateful that her Father took the time to teach her. Riding can be very dangerous if you don't approach it with a certain amount of fear/respect. I have seen female riders on both ends of the scale. Some that are so cautious and timid that they are a danger to themselves and others, then I have also seen a girl try climbing a watered down mud hill and take hands off the handle bars as she slid backwards down the hill. She was laughing because she didn't make with out any thought at all that the handle bars could turn at any moment and roll on top of her. But, in their defence, I have seen a lot of male riders who thought they were bullet proof find out that they weren't..........the hard way.

Bottom line is that it's an awesome sport, and there is room for all of us.

And you married guys have to admit that this is a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby!! And it is a lot easier to spend the money on a new set of sand paddles or a new axle when your wife shares your love for the sport and can understand WHY a wider axle is good thing.

My Trips to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan trippled last year because I took Rhonda there and she had a blast!! She compaired it to riding a roller coaster at Cedar Point. I didn't put her on a Recon or some other underpowered machine that would have just discouraged her. She rode my 500cc Scrambler and she went everywhere that we went. This may have worked to my advange now that I look at it in retrospect, but I was riding her Father's Sportsman 500 and it was work keeping up with her on that horse!! She thought that it was great that her's was faster than mine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I would just get that 750 lbs. beast to creast the top of the hill and she would be half way to the next one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

When I knew that she enjoyed it, I wanted her to be able to have some ownership in it and not feel like she was just riding my old hand-me-down. So, for her Birthday I bought her a 2002 Limited Edition Scramber 500 2x4 (With the special non-removable decal glue [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) and she really was thrilled about it. It gets ridden when SHE rides it. I do all the maintenance on it, but it is in her name and she knows that when we go, she will have a new machine that looks good. Also, since it's a 500cc machine, she has plenty of ponies to climb any hill or go as fast as she wants. She likes to open it up. She even cought some air on our last trip.

I know that she really enjoys it, why else would she be out here on the Forum taking all the crap she gets. She likes a challenge and doesn't like to be underestimated. She admitted to me that she was really scared the first time that she went up the first sand hill, but she did it anyway and was glad that she did. I will never forget the first time I got her to back down a hill after she sunk up skid plate climbing a hill. She usually had me take it down for her. I just told to keep her handle bars straight and look straight at me and slowly back down. I had to remind her a couple of time to keep looking straight at me and to relax. She made it down and was thrilled to death that she did it. She has been fine ever since.

Screw the tents and camping on most of the ridin trips!! We just get a hotel room with a jacuzzi there right by the Dunes. Guy trips with a bunch sweaty men and a camp fire are WAY OVER RATED. ha ha

Old 02-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the compliment Rhonda. I totally respect your views. Both you and your husband sound like pretty responsible parents and now a days it's a rare find. We always have our phones with us as well when we ride. if when your ready for the kids to ride conact the atv safety inst. and they will send you some books for the kids on safe riding or get a hold of me and i'll send you some.

Seeeeeeeee YYAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 04:28 AM
Trailblazer

WELL SAID SIR, WELL SAID KUDOS TO YOU. YOU ARE A GOOD TEACHER[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Trailblazer

Dude it's important if you haven't already get her into the atv rider course, it's free training and you might get money back. It will definitley make her more comfortable with the atv. Trust me I know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Trailblazer

Bubba or Dana, don't exactly know what you mean about the multiple personality comment. I am new to the forum. I guess I try to see the discussion from all sides. I have been around atv's for 17 yrs and I have seen my share of things. If I can add my 2cents and help without offending anyone then it's all good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 04:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Riding with Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmmmm....

scratch)(*&$%$%#
scratch$#*&)*&_+

"this is good"

scratch)(*&$%$%#
scratch$#*&)*&_+

Old 02-06-2003, 05:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Gary, sounds like Rhonda has a great teacher and a great friend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 05:16 AM
Trailblazer

Got a queston, I was looking at the pics of the octo scrambler. Is it hard to turn the atv when you are not on the snow? I guy I ride with had that type of set up on his big bear and it was hard to turn when he was on sand or bare ground. one more question, what was the purpose of the atv's being crated?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Riding with Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!