Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizz660 rear shaft question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizz660 rear shaft question?

my friend has a 660 grizz, already had belt and clutch problems only 300 miles, now a rubber boot ripped on the shaft in the rear entering the rear diff, now only one rear tire spins and you can move the shaft back and forth,any answers on what could be the prob? can understand the ripped boot but now the rear diff doesnt work, the grizz can not take any water at all. he went through water that everyone else went through belt slipped then later after belt housing dried just slow riding back home and what was called by dealer the clutch "blew apart" the dealer said it was do to cold water hitting hot clutch. sounds like load of crap!!!!! i was thinking of buying a grizz now i think i will look at something else, seems like bad belt venting design after further inspection.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

you should get a prairie 650 you will never regret it

Old 03-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

prarievenom -
what made you deside on the prarie vs the Grizz. I'm about 1 mo out from buying and had pretty well thought I wanted a grizz. i have read some reviews and they put the prarie up top, although I don't put alot of credit in the Mags, mostly bs about whatever bike pays for more ad space, or wines & dines them at the press releases. - Just want to know what made you choose the prarie, Honestly I think a person could buy a Yami, Polaris, Suzuk,Kawi, or any of these big bikes and be thrilled with their bike.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like he screwed up a CV joint in the rear end. Thats not going to be cheap.

I think it depends on what you are going to do with the bike myself. I mean, some guys out there could screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet in a sandbox, but then most others aren't going to see a lot of problems with anything. I've never had any trouble out of my 660 in almost 2 years now. Other people have had a lot. Same with the Pee650 too, or anything else. It all depends on how you ride it.

For all intensive mud riding purposes, I don't think any belt drive automatic is a good choice. Sure a 700 Sportsman or Grizzly will go through a big mudhole better than others, but the after effects of it are going to eat away at the bikes longevity. You could get a Rubicon or 450S honda with no belt drive, put some tires and maybe a lift on it, and tear up the mud just about as well, and there wouldn't be any transmission issues. (of course you'd go through brakes and wheel bearings sooner)

Everything has its downfalls. I'm not too hard on my Grizzly though. I don't take it in mud up to the racks, and the deepest water I ever cross doesn't get as deep as the seat. This is because I know better than to try and test the limits. For somebody wanting to bury it in the mud or submarine it, I wouldn't get a Grizzly or Prairie or anything that rely's on a rubber band to keep it going. If you are going to rag on a quad, get the simplest thing you can find. Less stuff to break, and a lot cheaper to fix later on.

Look into a Rincon I would say. Its not going to outrun the P650 or Grizzly, and its not going to have that locking differential that they have either, but its probably not going to have any water/mud problems with its transmission either.

And remember, I own a belt drive, so I figure I can talk bad about them with a clear conscience.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

Definately a broken axle..... As far as the slow ride...well, it sounds like he filled the belt case up with mud and it hardened...then prevented the clutch from moving on the slides.. That could cause the clutch failure.
I love my Grizz.....Yeah, I've had broken 2 axles, but no biggy. Poo Poo happens. I don't punish it all the time just for the record. I dont know what depth your bud is taking his Grizz through. If he's playing around doing water wheelies and submerging the rear end...he should think about relocating the rear belt case vent to the front....it works wonders! Needs to keep a better check on the belt drain after he goes in deep.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

my friend took it to the dealer and they are going to fix it, its under the warranty still. the mechanics told him it is because he has larger than stock tires(26" titan 589) and under high speeds it wore everything out(bearings, axels, hubs and such) but he only has had the tires on for about 100 miles and the mechanic said it was the fifth grizz 660 this month that they have worked on with the same problem. the only thing they dont cover under warranty is the rubber boot and drain plug. This is why I ride a Honda Rubicon!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2003, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

They can blame it on the tires all they want, but I've seen completely stock 03's shatter axles also. They have said its due to the angle the axle sits when oversized tires are installed. I find that a little hard to believe. Take a good look at his new axle after its installed and see if it is a smaller diameter than the other side[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have seen a few other 03's that have had axles replaced and the replacement one is different from stock. I'll see once again when I get mine back tomorrow ...also for broken rear axle lol
If larger tires are the problem...why are the axles being superceeded by Yamaha? Anybody else caught wind of this?

Old 03-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

that sounds like a sorry dealership,i think i would switch if another is close enough,i have heard of dealer replacing axles for nothing,just to keep customers happy,and other's dragged into court for not doing anything,i wish yamaha would put every dealer on the same policy's,i have an 02' and 0 problems and the dealer is always giving me updated on the latest things and makes sure i got the honest answer on issue's i asked them about.