Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior acceleration problem

Hey guys I was hoping some one will beable to help me out with this.
I have a 98 warrior with a white brothers e series pipe, K&N filter, and a drilled air box. My machine is having trouble accelerating, it hesitates (cuts out) at higher RPM's and wont hit it's full potential in 6th with out dawging out. Atleast I hope it's not it's full potential.
It also backfires occasionaly. This is my second ATV first was a blaster so this is my first 4 stroke. I wasn't sure if this was normal maybe a rev limiter, it just seems to me it should have more top end. It has plenty of bottom end so I assuming its carb trouble, or maybe it's just not as fast as I thought it would be in which case I'll be trading it back for a blaster. Any help with this prob. would be great

Old 04-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do a plug check and see if your running lean or rich. Mine did the same thing when I forst got it, I found that whoever jetted it put the biggest jet in that came with the k&n kit. Ran great up till 3/4 then it would start cutting out. I also don't think that yamaha uses a rev limiter on the warrior.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might be lean on the top end,the only way to be sure is to run flat out with a new plug,cut the motor and check it for color. When you say back fire,is it when you are decelerating? Coasting in gear and popping back in the pipe is the idle mixture a little lean, turn out the mix screw on the bottom of the carb out a 1/4 turn at a time until you can coast in gear (I like to use 3rd ) with no popping. If you are backfiring while you are riding, you are VERY lean, and need to jet up . As stated before, the Warrior has no rev limit, but they do tend to float the valves at sustained hi rpms, causing it to sputter and miss. A good set of aftermarket valve springs will go a long way to cure that. Before I forget, it is possible to be jetted to rich on the top end, this will cause a miss or surge on the very top,but run decent everywhere else, but a quick plug check will tell you which way to go. Hope this helps you out.