1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

HEEEELP! Basket case quad, Carb issues,.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEEEELP! Basket case quad, Carb issues,.. :(

OK so I picked up one of these for my Wife to use as a pit bike for our 4 wheeling competitions, She needs it to move stuff for our fund raising,.. anyhow to the long and the short of it. $75.00 purchase price,..

Here it is,..

Got this unit as a "basket case" bike and I needed to tinker, the engine is marked 124.9cc and other than that I don't see any other types of identification on it yet,.. but to be honest I haven't looked that hard either.

OK so I started tinkering with it and first off found a toasty voltage regulator, broken wire harness, destroyed shut down system,.. ect , ect . Sooooo I got all those shenanigans fixed up and low and behold the little bugger we have nicknamed "wiggam" fired up! Now where it gets tricky, the carb has a hose off the bottom that has a steady drip of fuel coming out,.. OK I figure stuck float. Also when it did fire I could not adjust the idle at all, in or it the little bugger revved! So I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it out, washed it all with carb cleaner and figured that would cure it. So I reinstall it and whammo it fired and idled nicely but now I have a steady flow of fuel coming out of the overflow on the bottom,... Insert the all too familiar FML, SOAB, or other profanity,.. so now I stink of fresh high octaneand still stuck with a fuel problem,..

Did I hook the fuel delivery line to the wrong inlet?? Can I unstall the float back wards? Is there a carb breakdown for the unit about?? and BTW what is it?? Manf? Coolster? What kind of carb? Oh please help me here my brain hurts from thinking or I am high off the fumes?

Also if my ear serves me right I think a valve adj is in order,... How? BTW it has some nice fresh oil in it and a shiney new plug

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scracth all the carb issues, its running ildling super high no matter which way or what screws your turn,.. but no more overflowing and it runs,.. now if none of the screws effect idle,.. what to do?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought but did you put the slide in backwards. The tapered side of the slide goes toward the idle set screw.

Nick

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Do you know the Make or vendor of the ATV? My friend bought a Chinese ATV for his kid and the carb was acting up, he called them and they told him they sell a optional better quality Mikuni carb for $50. They sent it down right away.

Well worth it.

Even if you bought a china new carb,it could not cost more then $20.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

It looks like a Taotao 110D1, but like said, they can be tough to identify. I've got a 110D, that's identical right down to the color scheme, aside from mine has a tubular front brushguard (110D model) instead of the D1's metal/plastic guard.

Joel

Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Wink

Well I checked the carb slider and it's got a key way to make sure it can only go in one way, still had a high idle so I restricted airflow through the carb and used a un lit propane torch to check for intake leaks. The gaskett between the intake and carb was leaking so a bit of black etc and a few moments cured the issue and I was able to set the carb. I rebuilt the lower arms with the welder and some grade 8 washers. Finally got the little bugger out last night and had a blast causing havoc in the alley, that little guy stomps especially once I adjusted the throttle from the kiddie parameters to the big kids option.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JENSSEN
... and used a un lit propane torch to check for intake leaks. The gaskett between the intake and carb was leaking so....
I havn't heard of using propane before. Interesting idea...

Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I havn't heard of using propane before. Interesting idea...
If you have a leak on an intake regardless of motor type you can use propane and the leak will suck in the propane gas and the engines RPM's will rise, if you want to test the idea take a unlit torch put it by the air filter turn the gas on and listen to the rpm's rise.