1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

stator OHMs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stator OHMs

doing a OHM test on the 3rd stator and the black/red wire should be 450ohm but only reads 350ohm, is that in the bad range ? all the rest of the wires test ok but still on spark.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking back through your other posts im assuming this is the same machine. You need to start looking some were else for the no start issue. If you have replaced most of your electrical several times then their has to be a issue some ware else. Just finished my random no spark issue and it turned out to be the back of the key switch. 2 wires had broken off and the hot wire was only hanging on by 2 threads. The 2 wires that broke off were not enough to keep it from not starting they were for the lights and kill switch but the hot wire was just enough to give it a very week spark. Easy fix.
What i have said before with these machines. Take the covering and tape off your wire harnesses. Get some good double wall shrink tubing (has glue in it for a water tight seal) and go through and cut out and replace every factory solder joint. They use a cold solder process that is not the greatest when its done properly. When i did mine i found several wires that had pulled out of the solder. Eventually im even going to do all the light connections and what ever else i can find with a but connector.
If your getting random spark its a bad connection some ware.

PS would be easier if you kept all this in the same original post

Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol

ok not sure what happened to your reply but have you tried pulling the kill switch wire from your cdi? the way the reply came through my email it sounded like a kill switch problem

Old 11-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

all the kill switches work as they should, unplug the hardshell from the new cdi and check the black/white wire in the hard shell and all three kill switches will go to ground when u pull,flip or twist them, its just when u plug the cdi back on the motor would not stop. so I put the old cdi on and now no spark at all.
this is what happened, I this junk from a buddy its in very good cond. because he had it about 2 weeks before it would not start. I bought it.
no spark, put on new cdi and coil, still no spark, put on new stator, started wright up ran great but none of the kill switches would stop the motor, checked the b/w wire as above, tested good, tried old cdi, sparked once and no more spark, put new cdi back on and one spark and no more spark, thought stator must of been shorted out, got 2nd new stator, put on sparked once and no more spark, so I got another cdi thinkin old new one was bad, still no spark, can a stator burn out in a few seconds? my 2nd new stator OMHs ok except for the red/black wire reads 350 ohms and the list says 450 ohms. i'm thinkin it must be in the wire harness, so i'm going to take this junk apart again for the 3rd time, strip the harness all apart for the 3rd time, and make my own harness from the stator to the cdi (remount the cdi so the wires are only 4 in. long and cdi next to air filter) and see what happens. i'm sure i'll still be disappointed after all this, but I have this guy in my hood that I can't stand and he wants to buy it for $400.00, so if I can get it to run long enuff to get it over to his house and its his problem. what do u do for a livin ?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol

retail manager.. but my fav job is when i worked as a parts manager at a dealership.. Im one of those people that refuse to pay for something that i can do myself

Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

I worked for 19 years at JERRYs FORD in va. in the parts dept. on the shop counter, did u read what I have done on this thing and what do u think the best thing to do is. (short of setting it on fire)

Old 11-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol

It really seems like a loose or bad connection some ware. Seems like every time u move the cdi it works until vibration knocks the connection loose again. I know your frustration. Been their and done it

Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

that what i'm doing next, home made wire harness, thanks for the help

Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

started to take it apart to work on wiring harness and noticed that the plug cap and the plug were loose where the plug pushes into the brass thing, so I put the old coil and wire back on and for now it sparks, so it looks like the new CDI and COIL in got from best bike on ebay were both bad, the kill part of the CDI did not work and the coil would spark for a few seconds and die till u let it sit for a wile. hopefully that is all that's wrong with this thing atleast till I sell it, thanks for the help

Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol

They may have sent the wrong coil kit.. their rare several different sizes of caps for the spark plugs.