Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

shifting problems..please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool shifting problems..please help

I have an 03 250 recon es. it will not shift up or down. the shifter motor will engage when I try to shift up but does nothing when I try to downshift. the indicator blinks 8 times. I have replaced the angle sensor(new) and the ecu(used) all to no avail ! when I turn the key on the neutral light is on and when I start it, it is in gear with the neutral light remaining on...I guess that its in limp mode? does anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was told that the best of the best of atv guys were on these forums...and so far the only thing I have been told was not to post problems in the new member section lol..my apologies...but after 83 views and no answers it obviously isn't going to matter where I post because nobody knows whats wrong lol !!!!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You need someone with the workshop manual to tell you what 8 blinks is, my book is for the pre 03 model. If the neutral light is on when the bike is in gear, the rotary switch in the alternator case is probably faulty. Normally, if they change up but not down, it is the down switch on the handlebars not contacting, but they don't fault code then as the computer doesn't know you have tried to shift. Try selecting reverse, if it is a faulty rotary switch it should go into reverse then fault code as the signal from the rotary switch tells the computer that it hasn't gone into reverse.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for replying merryman....I have purchased a Clymer manual and the 8 blinks is the angle sensor system. it wont go into reverse. according to the manual the ecu will rest itself when the problem is fixed. unfortunately its still not fixed. don't know what do. I have tested the shifting control switch and both are good. thanks again for responding

Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

There would be a series of troubleshooting steps in the the factory service manual for this code. Does the Clymer not have them?

Most of the older ESP models had an emergency shift lever in the tool kit in case the ESP fails. Have you tried using the emergency lever ( if it has one ) to shift to make sure this isn't something mechanical?

Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Here are the 2 pages from the FSM on code 8. A little searching can find this for you as a free download.

Attached Thumbnails shifting problems..please help-code-8-page-1.jpg   shifting problems..please help-code-8-page-2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If you haven't got the manual change tool, put a 12mm ring spanner or socket onto the shaft that the gearchange lever would fit on if your bike were manual change. You should be able to change gear with this, anti-clockwise for down, clockwise for up. Don't try changing "on the button" while the spanner is fitted. It will be quite stiff as you are spinning the shift motor through a reduction gearbox as well as gearchanging.

I still think the neutral light should have gone out if the bike was in gear. If I remember rightly, re-setting the ecu involves pressing up and down buttons together for a few seconds, but switching ignition off then on usually has the same effect.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your reply guys. I don't have the manual change tool. I put a 12 mm socket on it and it will not go in gear. I have followed all the steps in the manual except for measuring the resistance while shifting threw the gears because it wont shift. I have good connections and all the readings are spot on. I am thinking its the shift control motor because it will engage when I try to shift up but it quits before it shifts. I have tested the shifter buttons and they both have juice. when I try to shift down the motor will not engage at all. I will post my progress some time this week. I have to order a shift control motor. thanks again for your help

Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

got some advice on resetting the ecu..... turned the key on, pushed both of the shifter buttons in at the same time and held them for a few seconds and it started to code, shut it off and did it again and it didn't code. I used a 12mm socket and was able to get it in gear while trying to shift up at the same time. I used the buttons to go through the gears and it is working fine. I am not an atv mechanic by any means so feel really blessed. thank you so much for all of your help !!!!!