Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2002 polaris 700 sportsman no start nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 polaris 700 sportsman no start nightmare

Hey guys I am having quite the headache with a project 2002 polaris sportsman 700 twin.

First off I bought the machine at an estate sale (an older gentleman who passed away) the machine only has 300 miles on it. First thing I noticed it was missing the carburetor. Everything else seemed fine. So I lurked eBay for a while and found a used carb off a (supposedly) running machine. Put it on, no start. Checked for spark, no spark. Well it would give one strong spark the first time the machine turned over but nothing after that.

So after some research I came to the conclusion that I needed a new pulse coil and new CDI. (rmstator) Apparently many 2002 machines were plagued with this issue. So I got everything wired up and checked it for spark. Strong spark on both cylinders. Turn the key the machine fired almost instantly and then died after about 5 seconds. Seemed like it ran out of fuel, sprayed starting fluid in the cylinder got it to fire a couple more times then it would die again.

Fuel is coming out strong from the inline fuel filter. I cleaned the fuel pump and inspected the diaphragms previously anyway. Then I noticed a bunch of the wires coming from the ignition plug-in were melted from a short. I rewired all the wires and still no start.

The last thing I noticed was when I cranked the machine over I have a slow drip from the drain nipple on the bottom of the carb. Seems like the screw was tightened right down at one point and damaged something because I can't get the drip to stop.

Now I'm not totally convinced that this drip would prevent the bike from starting but I'm lost as to what else the problem could be. Looking for advice

I'll probably go out to the shop tomorrow and pour a bit if fuel down into the cylinder and see if I can get the bike to fire again.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That's why I recommend the Polaris 2202602 Kokusan ignition kit that changes everything from the flywheel,stator cdi,regulator and wiring jumpers.Completely eliminates any Ducati related part.Costs a little less than 500 bucks at Partzilla,maybe cheaper if you check around.On the carb may not be the drain screw but the float level may be off allowing fuel past the overflow tube. Carb bowl drain screw and overflow tube both tie into the nipple under the carb bowl.
RM stator kits use the Ducati lighting coil for an ignition source and the lighting coil can fail also! Have had several of them do this,before the replacement Kokusan kits even came out.Any electrical part with Ducati on it is junk!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

In the grand scheme of things I probably should have bought the polaris brand upgrade kit. But I paid 500 for the entire machine, and didn't exactly want to spend 500 more on an ignition upgrade.

Regardless though, I have a strong spark so I figure the machine should start.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Coryco
In the grand scheme of things I probably should have bought the polaris brand upgrade kit. But I paid 500 for the entire machine, and didn't exactly want to spend 500 more on an ignition upgrade.

Regardless though, I have a strong spark so I figure the machine should start.
Just because it has spark doesn't mean the timing of the spark is correct. I know they're cheaper(around 250 bucks)but imo I wouldn't give 25 bucks for them. Like I mentioned the lighting coils can go out,then you're stuck also. Plus the cdi they supply and everything else just seems like a patch job to me when I first saw them when they came out. You're not the first one I've heard on RM kits that people have had problems with.With the Kokusan kit,every thing changes. I replace a bunch of Ducati systems with the updated kits and never had a complaint.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm I'll have to do some more digging tomorrow I guess. I hope I don't have to end up throwing more money at this machine.

Thanks for the response

Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey just curious if you can tell me how to test this lightening coil. Can't find any mention of it in my service manual.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Schematic shows the wires coming from the stator.Should be able to help you trace down.Main thing is that they shouldn't short to each other or ground.If they do,the stator is bad. Only way to fix it then is to find another Ducati stator or change to the Kokusan kit.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I know it seems like a lot of money considering your initial investment but if you are having any sort of ignition/electrical issues, you will save yourself a lot of time and grief to just change the entire ignition. Nothing worse than being deep down a trail somewhere and becoming dead in the water. You may replace that one part just to have it fail or a different component fail and you will spend more $ in the long run. it takes some time to get it installed but I did mine myself and I certainly consider myself an amateur. There are a few good videos and the instructions that come with it aren't too bad.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Big600twin
I know it seems like a lot of money considering your initial investment but if you are having any sort of ignition/electrical issues, you will save yourself a lot of time and grief to just change the entire ignition. Nothing worse than being deep down a trail somewhere and becoming dead in the water. You may replace that one part just to have it fail or a different component fail and you will spend more $ in the long run. it takes some time to get it installed but I did mine myself and I certainly consider myself an amateur. There are a few good videos and the instructions that come with it aren't too bad.
^^^