Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

03 Eiger 4x4 Transfer Lever Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Eiger 4x4 Transfer Lever Installation

My 4x4 to 4x2 transfer lever mechanism broke on my 03 Eiger. I ordered the replacement metal part and now I am trying to figure out how to get it installed. Could someone who has done this before give me some basic instructions? How do I release the tension on the cable so I can get the lever mechanism installed, my guess is the nut at the differential end of the cable needs to be loosened but it doesn't look like it has enough slack?

The replacement part (lever mechanism) looks like this

03 Eiger 4x4 Transfer Lever Installation-gynwxkb.jpg

From my understanding It needs to install on the end of the cable here

03 Eiger 4x4 Transfer Lever Installation-sfsbqoi.jpg

and the other end of the cable is attached to the differential like so, the red arrow is pointing at what looks like a tensioner nut

03 Eiger 4x4 Transfer Lever Installation-yegjvb1.jpg

Thanks for any advice!!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

It is a horrible set up on the Eiger and worse on the 400 King Quad. Pull the plunger out of the diff (vice grips with screwdriver behind), this may give enough slack. If not, a mid cable adjuster is fitted just below the control box in about the most awkward place they could find. Adjust this to give some slack, fit the new part and then adjust it back so you get it going in and out of 4WD correctly. Jacking the front wheels up and spinning them by hand while adjusting helps.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
It is a horrible set up on the Eiger and worse on the 400 King Quad. Pull the plunger out of the diff (vice grips with screwdriver behind), this may give enough slack. If not, a mid cable adjuster is fitted just below the control box in about the most awkward place they could find. Adjust this to give some slack, fit the new part and then adjust it back so you get it going in and out of 4WD correctly. Jacking the front wheels up and spinning them by hand while adjusting helps.
That is great advice thanks. Much appreciated. I cant beleive what a pain in the **** this has been. What about the roll pin, is it easy to knock out?

Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You were lucky to get the separate part, the parts book shows an assembly only, so I have never had one to pieces, you can unhook the inner cable at the top once you get some slack.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey my 4wd lever seems to be broken too, it wont shift out of 4x4, and since my King quad 400 doesn't have an indicator light for 4wd, I didn't noticed until yesterday rear tires were on the air and front tires would still rotate when accelerating.

Does anyone knows where I can find a tutorial to change the lever mechanism, I also bought the aluminum replacement so that wont be a problem again, but I'm not quite sure how to change it.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

They often stay in 4WD because the cable has stretched, rather than anything broken. As I wrote above, the mid cable adjuster is in about the most awkward place they could put it, but screw it out, with front wheels jacked up, until the bike starts to go in and out of 4WD.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Please don't start jumping into another dead thread, especially a 12 year old one.

As I wrote above, the cable adjuster is just below the control box (4WD lever), right about where it goes between the front plastic and the steering column. I take the control box off the handlebars and pass it down under the wheelarch on KQs, there is a bit more room on an Eiger so you can, just, adjust it it in place. When you put the box back onto the handles the adjustment alters slightly, so double check before tightening up.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey folks! I just got a great old Eiger that has a broken plastic part inside the 4wd switch. I wonder where I can get the little metal upgrade part that is pictures here. What is it called? Thanks